Dan Burn

Rich

Kane wound him up and was getting the better of him, especially second half. Resorting to shoulder barging people off the ball. He was probably lucky to be still on the pitch.

He’s had a few great games and a few bad ones now. We’ve also been playing better opposition so maybe he’s just good up to a certain level.

We just need to finish this season and let the cull begin this summer.

Hmmm. 

He had a great start and was central to that run of form. Now he's regressed and I feel like today was the time to draw a line under it even if some of the opposition was top six. We can't keep exposing him in central areas high up the field. He also has to pick his game up and stop being the cliche big dirty English defender. 

Right now if we stay up he's sitting as a back up option for me. 

Poor today, but I did think some of his positional errors were exposed by MT's initial positional errors, which in turn were often caused by ASM not tracking runners. 

Our defence and midfield had a mare in general and I'm not convinced he's suddenly shit, this is his first bad game for us - he was still a rock against Everton and Chelsea, obvious mistakes aside. 

Does need to cut some of the bravado though and focus on just defending his position. 

On 29/01/2022 at 18:53, UTASeagull said:

Brighton fan here. Dan Burn has just gotten better and better for us. He has played left of a centre-back trio, left wing back and left of a back two consistently well for us. That said, he is viewed as a back up to Dunk and Webster mostly, who are two superb centre halves so no shame there. 

He isn't the quickest, but uses his positioning superbly well and always gives himself a few yards. In the wrong environment against lightning fast players, he can be made to look very slow (Traore and a few others have given him nightmares at LWB) but this is quite uncommon.

He is surprisingly bad in the air. Whilst he wins defensive headers, his percentages aren't as good as they should be and the ball can end up going practically anywhere. Attacking corners is the same, often wins it and puts it into row Z.

He has improved tenfold since he joined and Potter really rates him. After a poor performance last season he was getting some stick, Potter said afterwards "anyone who doesn't think Dan Burn is a good defender doesn't know anything about football". 

As for the sale, I can see it happening, although I have no insider information, I am just a fan. His contract is up in June 2023.

The issue is the fee. Tony Bloom is, in my biased view, the shrewdest operator in the league and as a club - despite large losses - we have no need to sell unless a player forces a move. As shown with Ben White (we rejected £25m then £30m from Leeds before he'd even kicked a ball in the PL), he simply won't sell unless he gets his figure.

Bloom sets a figure and just outright declines every offer until that figure is met. It's as simple as that. In this case, he wants £15m it would appear, so you'll either be paying £15m or he won't move. It's just how the club operates.

Hope this was interesting/useful.

Hello again! 

Some very strange and uncharacteristic play from Dan Burn today - what he was doing today is not his game. It looked to me that he was so focused on looking "up for the fight" for the Toon that he stopped concentrating on his actual game.

But a couple of poor performances does not a bad player make. Whilst it's true he was in a purple patch which slightly flattered his level of ability, today was pretty abject. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Still an absolute bargain you got from us, but he needs to stop all this faux-passionate silliness and just play. Dan is a very polite and placid bloke, what I watched today was alarmingly artificial.

He’s had one bad game since he joined. 1.. and people are saying get rid. A bit of an overreaction?

He was poor yesterday and lost the head. Hopefully that won’t happen again. The rest of the team need to help him out a bit too, time and time again they likes of Kane had all day in midfield to pick out passes that were killing us.

It’s too easy to pick out one or two players.. the whole team weren’t good enough yesterday.

54 minutes ago, Outremont said:

He’s awful. There was a reason why he wasn’t starting CB at Brighton… but all the fans got carried away. 

Get rid. Shocking mate.

:lol: Thank God you're not quite so kneejerk over three matches as the rest of the forum over five matches.

1 hour ago, Outremont said:

He’s awful. There was a reason why he wasn’t starting CB at Brighton… but all the fans got carried away. 

Get rid. Shocking mate.

Clearly he's run over your dog. And by dog I mean penis.

I love that he is aggressive and wants to engage players early and high up the pitch.  But a few people had mentioned this being a weakness at times.  As he got done against Brentford and Everton a few times doing this.  It certainly was yesterday.  

I thought he was brilliant first half.  But in the second, he couldn't help stepping up and trying to nick it off Son or Kane and get tight to them early.  I think he got rolled a good 4-5 times in a row, but still persisted with it.  

Bad day at the office all round and Burn has been brilliant since coming in.  But I thought it was really noticeable how often he got skinned yesterday and was madness that he kept trying it time and again. 

2 hours ago, wormy said:

:lol: Thank God you're not quite so kneejerk over three matches as the rest of the forum over five matches.

This. I mentioned it briefly, but from outside the England talk was hilarious.

He’s been a great get and has done more than almost anybody to keep you up. When the team around him gets better he’ll be valuable and even if he’s in and out of the team you can see him being a great squad player. Just, he’s not as good as people were saying he was and not as bad as people are now saying he is.

4 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

This. I mentioned it briefly, but from outside the England talk was hilarious.

He’s been a great get and has done more than almost anybody to keep you up. When the team around him gets better he’ll be valuable and even if he’s in and out of the team you can see him being a great squad player. Just, he’s not as good as people were saying he was and not as bad as people are now saying he is.

I think that's all fair. The England talk was certainly premature and I feel like even in the unbeaten run you saw glimpses of his hot headedness and you'd see a few comments about how we've needed his kind of shithousery in the squad. Obviously it's not quite so fun to watch when it's not working as planned nor leading to wins. I'd be interested in the view of Brighton fans as to whether he had those moments or if he's just getting a bit heady over playing and starting so hot for his boyhood club.

But on the flip side, he's a handy player even with his drawbacks and I feel like there's a strange narrative around some people that because he could fill in at multiple spots for Brighton we were signing some utility man from their bench, when he was mostly a regular starter since they were promoted to the PL from what I can see.

Do I think he's going to be starting for us if we want to push further than top ten in the coming years? No. Does that mean I think he's awful and we need rid? No.

It's becoming standard for online football fan. Get carried away with the highs and utterly downbeat at the lows. It doesn't help that there's rarely a middle ground for those fans, player x is either sensational or he's shite.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

It's becoming standard for online football fan. Get carried away with the highs and utterly downbeat at the lows. It doesn't help that there's rarely a middle ground for those fans, player x is either sensational or he's shite.

Totally ridiculous watching how some go on, on both sides of the coin.

On 04/04/2022 at 20:41, Lush Vlad said:

I love that he is aggressive and wants to engage players early and high up the pitch.  But a few people had mentioned this being a weakness at times.  As he got done against Brentford and Everton a few times doing this.  It certainly was yesterday.  

I thought he was brilliant first half.  But in the second, he couldn't help stepping up and trying to nick it off Son or Kane and get tight to them early.  I think he got rolled a good 4-5 times in a row, but still persisted with it.  

Bad day at the office all round and Burn has been brilliant since coming in.  But I thought it was really noticeable how often he got skinned yesterday and was madness that he kept trying it time and again. 

The guy has rocks in his head. He lost us the game at Everton and seemed set on doing it again here. He’s an absolute liability. 

Just needs to play his game, much like he did when he first arrived here. He seems to have gotten ultra aggressive for whatever reason - I suspect he will be back to his normal assured self on Friday. 

I do really rate him, but the sooner we can get a Botman-like long term left CB the better.