Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

Very happy with this. Sensible signing; Lewis is a risk defensively and hasn’t shown enough to suggest he’s the answer currently, Dummet is good defensively but, well we know his physical and technical limitations, Ritchie is not an lb and Manquillo will be our Rb cover.

19 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Everyone saying they where happy with Lewis, he’s literally not shown anything to suggest he is good enough since we signed him.

Lewis is too weak I'm surprised we haven't tried to bulk him up abit he's only 24 but that probably goes with Bruce's coaching regime.

Villas defence was decent last season and Targett was a massive part of that back 4

8 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Shows how hard it is to maintain a decent squad if you're at the level of the likes of Villa. Sign a better LB, have to let the other one go. Guess it's OK until you're involved in multiple competitions. 

Looks like they've decided Ashley Young can back up Digne, the 25 man squad can be a juggling act I guess.

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Shows how hard it is to maintain a decent squad if you're at the level of the likes of Villa. Sign a better LB, have to let the other one go. Guess it's OK until you're involved in multiple competitions. 

[emoji38] It's phrases like that are going to endear us to the rest of the league. Every smug Man Utd ****

5 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

[emoji38] It's phrases like that are going to endear us to the rest of the league. Every smug Man Utd ****

Actually the only reason I didn't say "and us" is because our back-up options are so bad that we don't have to worry about managing the squad :lol:

1 hour ago, xLiaaamx said:

Southern Dummett. We better be unregistering a fullback then because fuck off with having 6 in the squad. 

You're a right Debbie Downer aren't you :lol: literally every thread

I'd personally rather give Lewis his turn than loan someone for 6 months who might be a tiny bit better but we'll see. Maybe it'll have an option and he'll be decent. Maybe he won't be good, but we stay up anyway and it doesn't matter

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don't know how much I rate Targett either, but we have basically no good LB options now. Maybe Manquillo at a push, but he's not always going to do what he did the other week.

Always saw Targett as a solid, dependable defender. Same on the ball, nowt flash, doesn't maraud up the wing taking players on but when he gets there puts a good cross in.

We're trying to build a squad for the rest of the season, not just a first team.

Dummett can't be relied on to stay fit, and Lewis has had a handful of decent performances (I think he'll come good but he's a risk). Someone like Targett is a solid acquisition. I think it's pretty clear now that we're looking to be a counter attacking side for the rest of the season.

We can't be going back to playing Ritchie at left back under any circumstances.

12 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

I'd personally rather give Lewis his turn than loan someone for 6 months who might be a tiny bit better but we'll see. Maybe it'll have an option and he'll be decent. Maybe he won't be good, but we stay up anyway and it doesn't matter

It’s a loan deal that keeps Ritchie far away from the left back spot. Rather have Targett in on loan than no left back being brought in. Lewis will no doubt get minutes but he’s hardly been a shining light so far.