Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

11 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Got to be the end of the road for Bielsa unfortunately. The critics of him do have a point it's ludicrous how poor Leeds defense is and there can be no excuse. It shouldnt be forgotten how he built the team up with a comparatively tiny budget. As a lot of first time promoted teams that are coached well they overperformed last season. They have had a lot of bad luck with injuries but Bielsa hasn't helped that by neglecting to buy new players when as I understand it transfer funds were there.  Last season was a very good achievement this is more reversion to the norm. He should go and he has left them probably back in teh championship but with some players they can sell for very large amounts to refresh the squad, parachute payments etc should leave them in very good stead to rebuild and return to the premier league after a year out. 

It's actually beggars belief how bad they are defensively - individually a lot of their players are really poor (old Championship remnants and new signings alike, particularly Firpo who is horrendous) but the Bielsa system used to cover for them because they were so unified at pressing together high up the pitch. Leeds will be tempted to make a change surely just to halt the freefall although I'm not convinced any other manager will have any luck trying to change this really idiosyncratically tailored Bielsa squad.

Edited by buzz

8 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Got to be the end of the road for Bielsa unfortunately. The critics of him do have a point it's ludicrous how poor Leeds defense is and there can be no excuse. It shouldnt be forgotten how he built the team up with a comparatively tiny budget. As a lot of first time promoted teams that are coached well they overperformed last season. They have had a lot of bad luck with injuries but Bielsa hasn't helped that by neglecting to buy new players when as I understand it transfer funds were there.  Last season was a very good achievement this is more reversion to the norm. He should go and he has left them probably back in teh championship but with some players they can sell for very large amounts to refresh the squad, parachute payments etc should leave them in very good stead to rebuild and return to the premier league after a year out. 

What sort of transfer funds are we talking about? To play the Bielsa way would cost a hell of a lot of money to be successful in the Premier. You need proven quality in every area of the pitch, which Leeds haven't got. Should they go for more pragmatic approach a la Bruce or Allardyce? Possibly, but it's still a recipe for struggle most seasons.

9 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Much rather Everton go down to be honest, however Leeds being in free fall is good news for us.

I think Biesla was going to go this summer in anyway.

I feel the same. However, perhaps we could ladle up Kalvin Phillips and Raphina to soften the blow of Everton staying up.