Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

9 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

Burnley need just four more points than us between now and when we play them to pass us on the last day.

We'll find out in the next four because we're unlikely to pick up another point after Norwich. 

That would require us to pick no more points before we play them though.

No one is saying its "finished" for what it's worth. The point is that for us go down, we either need to have a total catastrophe and not win a another game all season, or Burnley and Everton have to both go on runs of form that they haven't managed all season.

If the full time whistle blows at Carrow Road and we still haven't picked up a win, I might start to worry, but I doubt it'll come to that.

48 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

No one is saying its "finished" for what it's worth. The point is that for us go down, we either need to have a total catastrophe and not win a another game all season, or Burnley and Everton have to both go on runs of form that they haven't managed all season.

If the full time whistle blows at Carrow Road and we still haven't picked up a win, I might start to worry, but I doubt it'll come to that.

No nominative determinism in your username.

Everton got 13 points from their first 6 games and were top of the league.

Burnley picked up 9 points in 6 games between December and February.

15 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

No nominative determinism in your username.

Everton got 13 points from their first 6 games and were top of the league.

Burnley picked up 9 points in 6 games between December and February.

:lol:

If you feel that strongly about it, you can still get 25/1 at a couple of bookies for what it's worth.

You're working off the premise that i) we aren't going to pick up any more points this season ii) that both both Everton and Burnley are going to pick up at least two more wins this season iii) Leeds will pick up two more points than us.

Even if we pick up one more win, that requires Burnley to pick up another 10 points and Everton another 9 to close the gap. It's incredibly improbably.

4 hours ago, The Prophet said:

That would require us to pick no more points before we play them though.

I think you've misunderstood his point

If say we pick up 4 points before the Burnley game and Burnley pick up 4 more than us (so 8 points) then they overtake us with a win on the last day 

It reminds of last season and Fulham, they just needed to gain 3 points or so on us to take it to the last day

2 hours ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Just watched the Chelsea/Madrid goals. Love the 2nd header from Benzema - looks class the way it curls back inside the post. 

It's the little stutter in his run just as the defender looks at him. Forces the defender to change direction then glides past him to go for the header. 

Proper strikers goal.

2 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I think you've misunderstood his point

If say we pick up 4 points before the Burnley game and Burnley pick up 4 more than us (so 8 points) then they overtake us with a win on the last day 

It reminds of last season and Fulham, they just needed to gain 3 points or so on us to take it to the last day

I take his point, but 1 more win not only means that Burnley need to win at least 2 (and pick up a point elsewhere), but it means that Everton need to win at at least 2 (possibly 3 depending on GD) for the final day to have any significance. Add in a couple of draws and they'll both need at least 3 wins from 8, for us to still be in play on the final day. Even then, Burnley would have to beat us and Everton would need to win at Arsenal to relegate us. All of this also assumes Leeds will be safe by then as well.

Burnley have 4 wins in 29 and Everton 3 wins in 24.

Realistically the only way that they both catch us is if we don't win again this season.

Edited by The Prophet

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I take his point, but 1 more win not only means that Burnley need to win at least 2 (and pick up a point elsewhere), but it means that Everton need to win at at least 2 (possibly 3 depending on GD) for the final day to have any significance. Add in a couple of draws and they'll both need at least 3 wins from 8, for us to still be in play on the final day. Even then, Burnley would have to beat us and Everton would need to win at Arsenal to relegate us. All of this also assumes Leeds will be safe by then as well.

Burnley have 4 wins in 29 and Everton 3 wins in 24.

Realistically the only way that they both catch us if we don't win again this season.

Yes I do agree with that, for us to be in trouble we have to not win again, which is pessimistic to the extreme 

Hopefully we can win tomorrow night and everyone can just relax a little 

7 points out of the next three games at home would be superb.  I'm not so much concerned about relegation as I am about performance.  Granted we looked very, very good on our run but decidedly less so, since.  It would be nice to see us win one or two with some style.

Lyon are so much better technically, overall. Aouar very good so far. Wonder if he can rediscover his best form. Fantastic ability.

Edited by Ikon

Referee has been desperate to give anything since it kicked off, brain dead from Cresswell.

Still hate shite like that, a touch on the arm should never cause someone’s legs to collapse. It’s cheating. If we have to deal with VAR it should be to overturn stuff like that and book Dembele.

Only way a pull should be given is if it’s exactly that, a pull where you can see momentum has been lost.

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

Soft and maybe not clear on goal, aye. Still incredibly stupid from Cresswell to give the ref a decision to make.

Straight away when he had a little huff to say get up he knew he’d fucked up.