Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

I almost stopped watching. Real gave absolutely nothing until the 89th minute. City totally controlled them. 

In retrospect those Grealish misses are monumental. At the time it seemed insignificant.  

It’s telling that they lost it completely at ET too. Didn’t create many chances at all. Rush of blood type foul for the penalty. Foden kept shaking his head and looking dazed. Their heads were gone.  

8 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

Fuck hoping we lose (this weekend) in order to help City win the league. Madness. Why not just hope both City and Liverpool both lose.

? Lose to Citeh coz Liverpool, lose to Burnley coz Everton - RTG gets battered for caring more about what happens to us than their own club. There appears to be a danger of something Mackemesque developing on here regarding Scousers! ?

I recently read Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius of Dutch Football and it struck me how there's a link from Dutch football in the 70s via Cruyff to Guardiola. The book talks about how it's not enough to win but you have to do it the right way and that Dutch football was also on a mission to show the world how football should be played. Maybe I'm overthinking things but it certainly struck a cord when I was reading it and City's performances in the Champions League. 

Jan Jongbloed, is an example of what I mean and is something I could see Guardiola doing. Jongbloed made his debut in 1962 where he played for 4 minutes and never featured again until 1974 when he was aged 33. Pretty nondescript career where he played for minor Dutch teams (this at a time when the keepers at Ajax and Feyenoord were winning European trophies) but was selected for both World Cup Finals in the 1970's as he was good with the ball at his feet and could act as a sweeper; there was little consideration given to his abilities as a shot stopper. 

48 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

Fuck hoping we lose (this weekend) in order to help City win the league. Madness. Why not just hope both City and Liverpool both lose.

It's weird. I couldn't care less about the who wins the title out of those two so I'll keep everything crossed that we cause an upset this Sunday. Conversely, I'd still find it hilarious if Everton goes down so I'd be totally fine with us throwing the final game against Burnley if it helped. :lol:

4 hours ago, HTT II said:

Get in Real Madrid, and Carlo is some boy, what a manager he is. Hopefully they will batter LFC.

I'd be utterly amazed if Liverpool don't beat them by at least 3 goals. I genuinely have no idea how Real have made it to the final playing the way they do. 

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

I'd be utterly amazed if Liverpool don't beat them by at least 3 goals. I genuinely have no idea how Real have made it to the final playing the way they do. 

They have an outstanding goalkeeper and manager. Apart from that, they’ve got quality dotted round the pitch but their squad needs a huge overhaul. This is their last year for a while getting to the latter stages of the CL I think. I don’t think they’ll get battered at all in the final, think it’ll be really tight but the pace of Liverpool’s forwards and their pressing will probably be enough 

Just now, gbandit said:

They have an outstanding goalkeeper and manager. Apart from that, they’ve got quality dotted round the pitch but their squad needs a huge overhaul. This is their last year for a while getting to the latter stages of the CL I think. I don’t think they’ll get battered at all in the final, think it’ll be really tight but the pace of Liverpool’s forwards and their pressing will probably be enough 

Man City should have hammered them last night, if as other people have already pointed out, they used a proper striker. I'm not even sure how Chelsea didn't hammer them either.

City could've probably got Luis Diaz and Darwin Nunez and had money to spare for the price they spent on Jack Grealish, they've shot themselves in the foot at the start of the season and they were made the pay for it in recent times.

It was totally bizarre how they threw it away. Like others, I was pretty much about to turn it off on 85 minutes.

They were quite complacent I thought. It was like they were playing in second gear, thinking it was won.

The first leg was shocking from their part. Should’ve been 4-0 up before Real scored. People will point to the last few minutes and ET, but they caused a massive issue for themselves with the first leg.

They wasted time from the first minute. Taking forever at goal kicks. A big reason for bringing on Grealish is to win fouls imo. 

The flaws here are structural and fundamental rather than tactical imo. Pep is obsessed with controlling football matches as much as possible with the ball at feet. All the players have to buy into his philosophy 100%. He doesn’t sign any players that are blessed physically, it’s all this narrow way of working and improving this particular machine. Everyone has to differ to Pep and the system and they therefore lack a bit of individual character. They can’t rely on character to get themselves out of a hole. And Pep hasn’t wanted a serious plan B. 

Signing Haaland is a positive step. An individual. But Peps sides are always going to vulnerable to not being able to cope when control is lost. 

The final is going to be contested by the best teams at thriving in chaos. Rather than the 2 best teams period. 

Future looks bright for Madrid.  Courtois, Alaba, Rudiger, Militao, Mendy, Camavinga, Valverde (this lad reminds me of Klopp’s PED boys - one of the most athletic players I’ve ever seen), Vinicius, Rodrygo then add Mbappe.  

With that they just need another central midfielder and some depth at RB. Camavinga is an amazing talent. He can rotate with the old guard for another year.  

Their recent policy of big bets on teenagers/youngsters and established stars on frees or a year left on contract has largely been successful (Hazard the obvious exception). 

Edited by The College Dropout

6 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

It was totally bizarre how they threw it away. Like others, I was pretty much about to turn it off on 85 minutes.

They were quite complacent I thought. It was like they were playing in second gear, thinking it was won.

The first leg was shocking from their part. Should’ve been 4-0 up before Real scored. People will point to the last few minutes and ET, but they caused a massive issue for themselves with the first leg.

They’re not a clinical team because the attack are all essentially midfielders. They don’t have a Salah, Jota or Mane. The closest they have to that aren’t fancied generally or as clinical (Sterling or Jesus). Relying on KDB, Foden to shoot them to CL finals.  

But aye there was a reason Benzema had a big smile after he scored the 4-3 and it ended the same.  Madrid knew that was a good scoreline. 

But also bring 2-0 up essentially on 89 minutes and the other team haven’t had a shot on target. They were through. Everyone thought it. But when a Pep team goes, they GO. Likewise Madrid are like sharks to blood. It’s in their DNA. 

2 hours ago, Shearergol said:

Man City should have hammered them last night, if as other people have already pointed out, they used a proper striker. I'm not even sure how Chelsea didn't hammer them either.

In a couple of years time, you will be in the CL. You will have an opportunity to play them. You will look at your squad, Eddie Howe's tactics, Madrid's not so good squad and think - you know what, nothing to worry here. First half will go along as you expected. You will  lead 2-0.  In the half time, there will be a lot of posts wondering what the fuss is all about. Second half will start and suddenly unexplainable things will happen - their right back will do a scissor kick ending in the top corner. Before you know it, you will be 2-4. They have a cosmic force of attraction towards that CL trophy which no other club has. Their mentality in this competition is the best there is. They could play their B team and you cant write that team off. 

Second, I presume all of you believe that referees favor big 6 in the PL, including us. I am not going to argue that and I agree. But you aint seen referees favoring a side until you play Madrid. It is like the refs believe the natural order of things involves Madrid winning the competition and it is their role to ensure so. Every arm, shoulder from their side to us, refs will be signaling for us to get up.  Slightest touch on their players and the rolling starts and the yellow card come out. Their player will kung fu tackle Bruno and potentially break his shoulder. Ref "Football is a contact sport mate". Casemiro will use his studs and create a gash on Bruno's leg and Bruno will get a yellow card.  I am not talking from jealously or frustration here. Their reputation and mentality in such games is unmatched. And they have earned it. 

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

I’m not sure you can blame the ref for the defending for the first goal and that was definitely a penalty on Benzema. Making that tackle was extremely dumb, even if it was marginal, have to be smarter than that 

I don't think the ref necessarily got any big calls wrong

The failure to book Casemiro was baffling 

Just now, ManDoon said:

Yeah that was definitely bad, but city beat themselves imo.

I agree, what happened last night isn't on the ref but City just lost it

Not even sure it was a tactical issue, that screamed weak mentality to me coupled with Real having this insane level of belief 

Aye, they just looked beaten even though they had 30 mins left 

Though we've seen Real do this to PSG and Chelsea already, City was the most dramatic but I've never known a run like it 

Liverpool will beat them with ease though 

10 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I don't think the ref necessarily got any big calls wrong

The failure to book Casemiro was baffling 

He actually did get two big calls wrong, both against Real as well which makes it baffling to me that Casemiro not getting booked (many suggesting he should be off, but Casemiro would never make a tackle like he did if he was booked, very rarely gets sent off) and Sterling getting booked can be seen as the ref was pro-Real. Laporte should've been off for the slap on Modric and Real should've had another penalty when Cancelo handled the ball. There was also a barge from Kyle Walker into Vini's back which have been given many times before despite I personally not thinking much of the challenge.

The excellence of the Rodrygo header is underrated. Asensio’s touch is so close to Rodrygos header. 

I’ve long wondered what Rodrygo is good at. But his co-ordination, timing and movement for the last 3 goals in the CL have been brilliant. The volley for the Chelsea goal was superb too. 

Losing his head and diving in like that for the penalty is the difference between Dias and VVD. VVD doesn’t lose his head like that. 

16 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

The excellence of the Rodrygo header is underrated. Asensio’s touch is so close to Rodrygos header. 

I’ve long wondered what Rodrygo is good at. But his co-ordination, timing and movement for the last 3 goals in the CL have been brilliant. The volley for the Chelsea goal was superb too. 

Losing his head and diving in like that for the penalty is the difference between Dias and VVD. VVD doesn’t lose his head like that. 

Rodrygo is good at absolutely everything you want from a footballer. He's just not excellent at anything. I do think he's a more consistent player than Vini and I do wonder how he would do with a run on the left wing which is his preferred position. There's a reason as to why Klopp was rumoured to be interested in buying him a few months back, now they ended up with Diaz who is a better player at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Flip said:

He actually did get two big calls wrong, both against Real as well which makes it baffling to me that Casemiro not getting booked (many suggesting he should be off, but Casemiro would never make a tackle like he did if he was booked, very rarely gets sent off) and Sterling getting booked can be seen as the ref was pro-Real. Laporte should've been off for the slap on Modric and Real should've had another penalty when Cancelo handled the ball. There was also a barge from Kyle Walker into Vini's back which have been given many times before despite I personally not thinking much of the challenge.

The only one I agree with is the Laporte sending off but that's more on the VAR to get involved and make the right decision 

In terms of Casemiro, of course he doesn't make the other fouls but then that means Foden etc are through and in decent positions so it had an subtle impact on the game 

Guest HTT II

Ronaldo would never 

I’m sure he did with Benzema who was getting stick off the Madrid crowd?

Guest HTT II

In a semi final? I stand corrected if so 

Ah not sure about a semi, I think he did it in a league game. Ronaldo is on record saying Benzema made him an even greater player and that he sacrificed scoring more goals to set him up.