Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

10 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Likely to have both teams finish on 90+ points, going to be brutal for whoever finishes 2nd

Can't call who's going to win it tbh. City should have this wrapped up by now, but Liverpool's run of form has been unreal.

7 minutes ago, TRon said:

Can't call who's going to win it tbh. City should have this wrapped up by now, but Liverpool's run of form has been unreal.

Yeah, it's going to be tight

I do feel City will look at today as 2 points dropped, if they had won then it would have been pretty much done

I still think Liverpool will just about edge of, City I can see dropping points at West Ham and Wolves

Yeah, I think if you talk to most scouts/DOF they'll have a page of wins and losses when it comes to players. 

I think sometimes the PR around these guys plays into the game especially when it comes to constructing the narrative of someone's career. We can spin it as 'Super Scout Steve Walsh signs three Premier League winners for £7m." 

What that ignores is, that's three players out of how many he's probably signed? It's also a lot different doing business as Leicester City in the Championship (I know Kante came later) compared to Everton in the Premier League aspiring to the top four. The demands and expectations in those moments are very different. The club's your speaking to will approach things differently. I also think it's worth remembering that when those three came to fruition it was in a side that counter-attacked ruthlessly. They happened to thrive in that system and under a manager that wanted to play that way. It was an aligning of stars. Sometimes a DOF thrives or dies based on how he works with his manager and Ronald Koeman hasn't done much since. 

He may argue that losing Lukaku was a massive blow, and I don't want to dismiss his achievements, he's found three more Premier League winners than I have :lol:

20 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

The hit rate is generally pretty low because it’s really hard. Also scouts can reccomend a ton of players to clubs and the clubs can just straight up ignore it, I have found this to be mostly the case.

I have some reports going back 3/4 years, one with Jacob Ramsey, one with Callum O hare, both when with Villa u23s. Tranmere (o hare) and Salford ( Ramsey) didn’t want him. That isn’t to big myself up, it’s really at the mercy of the club you just give them names. 

I do like O’Hare he seems a bundle of energy. Could see someone like Southampton finding value in him.

Always feel with DoFs, Chief Scouts, Head of Recruitments etc it's never as easy as them just moving clubs and once again succeeding elsewhere. There's always more circumstances than just themselves that makes them successful at a club. Usually the wider structure at the club and the way they fit into things. Monchi was notoriously awful at Roma being a key example - yet just slotted straight back in again at Sevilla. While tbh I'm not sure Sevilla really missed a beat while he was gone.

Makes it clear that we'll obviously need to do a lot more than simply plucking Ashworth to be successful.

8 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

He was brilliant for their u23s, very energetic, took up great positions, very vocal, holds the ball very well. I think he can play above the Championship for sure. Sometimes clubs just ignore their scouts. A lot is unfortunately “my mate knows X player”. 

Weirdly the best player I saw at that level was Jack Diamond at Sunderland. He was so electric. He hasn’t really translated it though. My opinion is his attitude. I sat behind him at a match and all he did was talk about how many people he’d filled in when he was younger. 

I really like the lad we sold to Wycombe, and the lad Gibson at Boro is also really good.    

What's Bobby Clark like? Only saw yesterday he'd signed for Liverpool recently.

20 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I don’t know how Joe White has done at Hartlepool but he was also good for the u23s. Can’t say I trust Shola to be in charge of the loan process

He’s been played out of position most of the time according to my pools supporting mate 

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

Ah fuck is he. That’s really annoying. He’s a very clever footballer. Where are they playing him do you know?

Been playing out wide for the most of it, they are very much long ball as well under Lee.

4 hours ago, ManDoon said:

He was brilliant for their u23s, very energetic, took up great positions, very vocal, holds the ball very well. I think he can play above the Championship for sure. Sometimes clubs just ignore their scouts. A lot is unfortunately “my mate knows X player”. 

Weirdly the best player I saw at that level was Jack Diamond at Sunderland. He was so electric. He hasn’t really translated it though. My opinion is his attitude. I sat behind him at a match and all he did was talk about how many people he’d filled in when he was younger. 

I really like the lad we sold to Wycombe, and the lad Gibson at Boro is also really good.    

Yeah he looked tidy did Jack. I think midfielders like him will always carve out a good career.

That's interesting about Diamond too. I remember going to a Youth Cup game between us and Spurs (they were comfortably the better team) but Longstaff looked like the only one with close to potential.