Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

18 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Can’t fucking wait to be back in Europe, going to be an amazing feeling when we get there and get a tie against a big European club

We will finish top 4 next year mark my words

Guest HTT II
5 hours ago, leffe186 said:

It shows what money can and will do in the end if you have enough. West Ham misused it for a while but eventually got it right. Money bought them enough bites of the cherry.

You can always point to one or two failures such as Everton, or West Ham themselves for a while, but sooner or later the law of averages will win out. It took Man City a while too.

It does agreed, but WHU and Leicester through the riches of the PL have had more money to spend more often than not than some of their European rivals, but here they both are in a Semi for the first time since the PL formation. That’s not just about money and the law of averages, it’s about clubs being coached well, with good recruitment and a good youth policies. 

1 hour ago, Pata said:

UEFA have surprisingly been very good lately. Nations League and Conference League are great additions, just wish they end giving CL dropouts another chance at EL.

Don't get the point of the Conference League personally. Expand the Europa League to pure knockout and more teams. Would be far more interesting. Nations League is good for the European sides, but for Brazil it sucks as there is no teams to test themselves against. 

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

It does agreed, but WHU and Leicester through the riches of the PL have had more money to spend more often than not than some of their European rivals, but here they both are in a Semi for the first time since the PL formation. That’s not just about money and the law of averages, it’s about clubs being coached well, with good recruitment and a good youth policies. 

But vs the euro competition it is just money.

No club either team has faced has a buget half as big as Arsenal's. The biggest testament to recruitment, strategy etc. is doing enough to finish above Arsenal.

West Ham have signed 9 players for 20m+ compared to Lyon's 3. They should beat Lyon.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

But vs the euro competition it is just money.

No club either team has faced has a buget half as big as Arsenal's. The biggest testament to recruitment, strategy etc. is doing enough to finish above Arsenal.

West Ham have signed 9 players for 20m+ compared to Lyon's 3. They should beat Lyon.

You could argue it’s easier for European teams to qualify for European competitions via their leagues which give them an advantage over say the likes of WHU when they do themselves manage to (rarely) qualify, with the superior experience advantage, it’s not as simple as money money money being the main driving force. 

Edited by HTT II

24 minutes ago, Flip said:

Don't get the point of the Conference League personally. Expand the Europa League to pure knockout and more teams. Would be far more interesting. Nations League is good for the European sides, but for Brazil it sucks as there is no teams to test themselves against. 

I think the group stages make sense even in Conference League. The monetary gains for clubs from smaller leagues are huge and the guaranteed six games are better than one home game and away game before being knocked out. If I calculated right, HJK Helsinki gained 3.9 million euros just from prize money from the Conference League. Their wage bill for 2022 is approximately 2 million so the money gained just from winning two games in the group stages is absolutely staggering.

European games are a massive bonus for fans too, I have no idea why it would have to be limited only to the biggest clubs in Europe who are swimming in cash any way and whose fans are having hard time taking even Europa League seriously.

Edited by Pata

Guest HTT II

Aye I’m liking it and the Nations League, much better than friendlies RE the latter and as @Patasaid it gives clubs extra revenue and for fans, who doesn’t want to watch your team away in Europe? I can wait until such days return to NUFC.

1 hour ago, Pata said:

I think the group stages make sense even in Conference League. The monetary gains for clubs from smaller leagues are huge and the guaranteed six games are better than one home game and away game before being knocked out. If I calculated right, HJK Helsinki gained 3.9 million euros just from prize money from the Conference League. Their wage bill for 2022 is approximately 2 million so the money gained just from winning two games in the group stages is absolutely staggering.

European games are a massive bonus for fans too, I have no idea why it would have to be limited only to the biggest clubs in Europe who are swimming in cash any way and whose fans are having hard time taking even Europa League seriously.

Yup. The whole point of the EuroConf is for teams like HJK  and equivalents to get European football beyond the initial playoffs where they usually would bow out.  To give them more exposure and chance to grow as well as fans in smaller nations getting more continental games in their nations. Very much not aimed at whoever comes 7th in the PL or Serie A although if they take it seriously they can obviously win it.

1 hour ago, Disco said:

Yup. The whole point of the EuroConf is for teams like HJK  and equivalents to get European football beyond the initial playoffs where they usually would bow out.  To give them more exposure and chance to grow as well as fans in smaller nations getting more continental games in their nations. Very much not aimed at whoever comes 7th in the PL or Serie A although if they take it seriously they can obviously win it.

Aye, the Roma's and Leicester's and Marseille's are there to raise the profile and help generate interest. It's such a well laid out plan that I'm wondering if I'm making things up or are UEFA really this good now. :lol:

The Armenian team in HJK's group got roughly 3 million and can only imagine how much that means to them. Some of that money has to be going to the academies which helps Armenian player production making their national team better in the future. I'm sure UEFA's end goal is to have a 32 team Euros that would make them loads more money but they are taking all the right steps that help make European football more competitive as a whole and justifying having that many teams in the tournament in the future. Nations League obviously helps with that too with one of the minnows always having the chance to qualify which used to be an impossible pipe dream. Football boom in North Macedonia has to be massive right now and they should only be better in 10-15 years time. Also hope Finland's recent success means more kids choose football instead of ice hockey as we will always be good there but could do with some help in football. :lol:

Edited by Pata

I'd rather expand the Europa League than have this Conference League tbh. While good for smaller clubs, no one in the top 5 leagues really wants to be in it. Should've kept the 5th-7th spots in the PL (depending on cups) qualifies teams for the Europa League and expanded it to have more clubs outside the top 5 leagues in it. 

13 minutes ago, astraguy said:

:lol: I mean, looking that way Fred is essential for the team. Only gotten 5 points in 6 matches where he's not played in 2022 and gotten 18points in 10 matches when he has played