Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

6 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

They did yeah, and that’s a fair point, but they’ve largely avoided it this year despite competing in all comps.

They do get drug tested and it’s not that simple In practice. Lance Armstrong never failed a drug test. Not a single one in his career lol. 

I think most high level clubs are to a degree yea, but like I said similarly to cycling the most committed and extreme will win. Pirlo brought it up in his book, a good read btw. I don’t know about Chris Wood, but I know I see shades of that Russian team here. Even then people were laughing saying they were not doping. 

I’ve seen enough Newcastle games to know there is not a chance any of our lot are on anything to enhance their performance :lol: 

I just think it’s a typical conspiracy theory that always gets trotted out whenever someone/a team performs to a high level.

Were Leicester on drugs? Or did everyone else stop taking them that year?

What you also forget is Liverpool’s team is huge. They can make 6-8 changes and still walk all over us, because they’re better in every single position. Top managers and teams rotate more than ever and can afford to shuffle the deck.

As I said, I don’t doubt there are cases of it, but there is so much irregularity in football to make it as wide spread as you are suggesting. 

Armstrong won everything in cycling so consistently for a reason.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

What are the stats like? Do Liverpool actually press way more and cover more distance than any other side? 

They tend to dominate possession and can win alot of games in 2nd gear which helps. 

4 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

What are the stats like? Do Liverpool actually press way more and cover more distance than any other side? 

They tend to dominate possession and can win alot of games in 2nd gear which helps. 

Not a single player in the top 10 of distance covered (up to February):

https://sport.optus.com.au/articles/os39283/epl-2022-premier-league-most-distance-covered-this-season-statistics-opta-data

8 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Pep was literally caught twice back in the 90s lol, so if it was happening then, it is happening way more now. Also no one at Liverpool sued or threatened the guy that full on accused them of doping? Easy win, no? Prove your clean and deal with any rumours?

Don't even really have to prove they're clean, the burden of proof is on the person who makes the accusation, they would have to prove that they're not, see the Lane Norton vs. Jason Blaha case.

8 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I don’t see why it’s conspiratorial, it’s been written about plenty. Football considers itself clean for some unknown reason, when every other sport suffers with drugs issues. 

As for Leicester this might interest you?

https://forum.cyclingnews.com/threads/mapei-in-football-cause-for-concern.31248/

lot of shady involvement with cycling scientists and Ranieri. Fuentes was also heavily implicated in football.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operación_Puerto_doping_case

Cycling is an individual sport though, you can’t legislate winning everything of your doping. There is too much nuance in football. My issue is with their seemingly unending stamina, and like I said the Russian team reminds me a lot of them. It’s the elite level of sport, huge money on the line, they already ram them full of painkillers

I’ve not read that thread in full but will tomorrow. The problem with those gossip pages is stuff like this, which can be proven to be bollocks immediately:

“there's even quite a few clues regarding Ranieri's success, including Leicester players, when asked to explain their success, mention "a few italian tricks" the coach taught us..”

Google that quote, not a single Leicester player can be attributed to it.

That’s the problem here - rumours become ‘facts’ very quickly with no evidence base behind them.

One example of many I’m sure I’ll find when looking at that thread more closely.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

Just now, ManDoon said:

That’s fair, but it was pretty widespread rumour and they could have run the guy into the ground but they didn’t bother. Not proof of course but I would have expected him to receive a legal warning of some kind. Good old Blaha ha, forgot about him. 

Why aren't all teams doing it and showing the increased levels of stamina then do you think? Or are Liverpool doing it to a higher level? Genuinely curious I agree it seems likely that's its going on just not sure to what level.

If there was anything substantial to the Liverpool doping claims we would be hearing some rumours stemming from other players in the league, which we haven’t so far.

So, we'll be playing you again next season. When you come to Dean Court with Eddie in charge, there's going to be a hell of a lot of emotion in the air. I have a suspicion Sky will have a little word in the ear of the fixture computer to ensure it happens early in the season so they can be 100% sure of getting it. Plan for an away trip to the south coast by mid-September, and a nailed on selection for Sky coverage.

Looking forward to it. And feels good that we'll get to give Howe a proper send off.

1 hour ago, Fantail Breeze said:

This is total distance over the season mind, not distance per 90. Three West Ham players on that list, and they as a team have visibly tired towards the end of the season.

A quick Google suggests both Liverpool and Man City, unsurprisingly, topped the speed and distance stats last season. https://pro.statsports.com/premier-league-review-gps-trackers-show-man-city-and-liverpool-feature-heavily-in-speed-and-distance-stats/ It may be a coincidence but that article says Eriksen covered the most distance per 90 of any player in the league last season. As we know, a few weeks after the season ended (when that article was written), he collapsed in the Euros. I don't know how relevant that is but it does make you wonder.

Edited by ohmelads

1 hour ago, ohmelads said:

This is total distance over the season mind, not distance per 90. Three West Ham players on that list, and they as a team have visibly tired towards the end of the season.

A quick Google suggests both Liverpool and Man City, unsurprisingly, topped the speed and distance stats last season. https://pro.statsports.com/premier-league-review-gps-trackers-show-man-city-and-liverpool-feature-heavily-in-speed-and-distance-stats/ It may be a coincidence but that article says Eriksen covered the most distance per 90 of any player in the league last season. As we know, a few weeks after the season ended (when that article was written), he collapsed in the Euros. I don't know how relevant that is but it does make you wonder.

That can't have been last season? Eriksen would have been at Inter and it mentions Sane for City. 

The speeds stats are always a bit hard to gauge much from. Wasn't Dummett the fastest player in the league a few seasons back? :lol: 

I think Bayern are the most suspect..the physical transformations some of those players made in such a small space of time is impossible without some form of juicing.