Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

Trent is 23, he’s won everything you can win at an English club, but you have to really wonder why he isn’t improving defensively. They surely work on it, is it attitude?

His vision and passing is unreal but you look at games like last night and the CL final and it’s frustrating. 

40 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Dude is 25 already and has 30 something games for you under his belt. How much further do you think he can develop? 

He grew up in a tribal fishing area. His first exposure to any sort of professional football was when he was 17 or 18 years old and that too for a youth team of a Colombian second division side. He is 25 years old but he has played far less football compared to players his age. His footballing age is 22 or 23 years old, if that makes sense.

Also, when I said developing I meant still adapting to Klopp style of football. Klopp wants his attackers in the box whereas Diaz does his best outside the box - skills, tricks, and all.  Mane was not the most elegant player but he was in your face attacker, constantly harassing the right back and right central defender. Diaz hasn't developed that aspect of his game, yet.

Edited by rgk_lfc

26 minutes ago, Ste said:

Trent is 23, he’s won everything you can win at an English club, but you have to really wonder why he isn’t improving defensively. They surely work on it, is it attitude?

His vision and passing is unreal but you look at games like last night and the CL final and it’s frustrating. 

Check out the goal Mitro scored against us on the opening day.

A big discussion among LFC fans now is whether TAA can't defend or does not want to defend? Based on the goals we are conceding and his role in that, it seems to be the latter than the former. He was never the greatest defender, but it has never been this bad before.

I also don't think moving him to midfield is the answer. His vision and deep-lying crosses are incredible but he is doing that from deep inside his half with no pressure on him from the opposition and Salah distracting opposition left backs and left wingers ahead of him. The midfield is going to be more crowded. The opposition is going to be on his face; lot more opportunities to nullify him. His inability or lack of desire to track runners might hurt us more. 

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

I think TAA will eventually moved into central midfield. 

Surely if you move TAA into central midfield you're massively reducing the chances of him being able to use his main attribute?

34 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

Check out the goal Mitro scored against us on the opening day.

A big discussion among LFC fans now is whether TAA can't defend or does not want to defend? Based on the goals we are conceding and his role in that, it seems to be the latter than the former. He was never the greatest defender, but it has never been this bad before.

I also don't think moving him to midfield is the answer. His vision and deep-lying crosses are incredible but he is doing that from deep inside his half with no pressure on him from the opposition and Salah distracting opposition left backs and left wingers ahead of him. The midfield is going to be more crowded. The opposition is going to be on his face; lot more opportunities to nullify him. His inability or lack of desire to track runners might hurt us more. 

There was a moment earlier in the game where Mitrovic is dribbling into the box ahead of Fabinho and Trent backs off and covers the outside and leaves the shot on. 

It's a shame as he excels in areas where most professionals don't, he's such a unique talent at right back, but struggles with an area thats 'easier' to coach and improve on. 

Think the Mitro goal is harsh to critique him too much for. He had a run on him and he'll bully most RBs in the air at the back post. 

Trent is probably best suited to a 3atb system, he essentially already plays as a wingback but in a back 4. Think Liverpool lose more than they gain if they replace him with a defensive RB. 

18 minutes ago, Ste said:

There was a moment earlier in the game where Mitrovic is dribbling into the box ahead of Fabinho and Trent backs off and covers the outside and leaves the shot on. 

It's a shame as he excels in areas where most professionals don't, he's such a unique talent at right back, but struggles with an area thats 'easier' to coach and improve on. 

In the interest of balance and to defend TAA a little, depending on where the shot was taken from, that might be by design. Most top teams instruct their defenders to back off and allow opposition strikers to take the shot at goal if the shot is being taken from the outside and right or left of the box. This is because the chances of scoring a goal are very less. Also when the goalkeeper has a clear view of the shot and the goal, he should be able to catch it easily. 

If the defender tries to block it, then there is a chance of deflected shot going into the goal which is difficult for the goalkeeper to handle, or the ball deflecting to another player in a better position to take the shot. So it could be that. But the Sancho goal was different. 

Once Howe gets comfortable with Pope, you might notice it in your game also. Tell defenders to back off and bet on Pope to catch the ball. In a home game, if the shot goes out, the ball boys are also instructed to immediately throw the ball in so that you can start the attack immediately with the opposition still in attacking formation. 

19 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

In the interest of balance and to defend TAA a little, depending on where the shot was taken from, that might be by design. Most top teams instruct their defenders to back off and allow opposition strikers to take the shot at goal if the shot is being taken from the outside and right or left of the box. This is because the chances of scoring a goal are very less. Also when the goalkeeper has a clear view of the shot and the goal, he should be able to catch it easily. 

If the defender tries to block it, then there is a chance of deflected shot going into the goal which is difficult for the goalkeeper to handle, or the ball deflecting to another player in a better position to take the shot. So it could be that. But the Sancho goal was different. 

Once Howe gets comfortable with Pope, you might notice it in your game also. Tell defenders to back off and bet on Pope to catch the ball. In a home game, if the shot goes out, the ball boys are also instructed to immediately throw the ball in so that you can start the attack immediately with the opposition still in attacking formation. 

Yeah that's a fair one mate, it was exactly as you described in the first paragraph. 

I do like TAA, there aren't many with his offensive talents. It's obviously good for yous and the England team if he were to improve defensively as it's one hell of a weapon to have from full back.

Think I'll just stick to SSN tonight as opposed to Bolton vs Villa. The vast majority of LC matches are tonight and they have the goals as they go in. Some decent looking matches as well, although it will be interesting to see how strong the PL sides have decided to go.

7 minutes ago, STM said:

Howay Bolton.

Interesting they're playing just about their first team, probably due to Gerrard feeling the pressure. Going to be interesting to see our team tomorrow as I'm expecting very few of our first team to be playing.

45 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Think I'll watch Benfica tonight seeing as we have a thread on one of their players who would have been here by now if we hadnt have created the thread. 

He’ll sign once he’s fired them into the Group Stage, as was reported from day dot.

1 hour ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Think I'll watch Benfica tonight seeing as we have a thread on one of their players who would have been here by now if we hadnt have created the thread. 

I’m picturing a player and club in full agreement for the transfer until the moment a wild thread appears and it’s like.. 

image.gif.cf4119d9141d52b0fde83f3e897d2828.gif