Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Don't need to. You were whining throughout the match about how we were going to get slapped and Howe was not pragmatic enough and now you're back tracking and shuffling your feet.

Should fire up that search function if you're memory is this bad.  I made a fairly detailed post with my thoughts on the approach which you've either forgotten, ignored or missed.  Look it up and maybe stop the weirdly aggressive press you're doing [emoji38]

I did brace myself for us to get slapped.  But that's more about being glass half full.  But you've just been proper dumb about my thoughts on our approach.  Like Jamie Redknapp style posting.

1 minute ago, Emotic said:

....The Spaniard declaring about Steve Bruce: “He’s one of the most important managers that England has had in the last 100 years.”

did he really say that? Oh god. I did say some idea s work and some don’t. On the whole though, he seems to have everyone on his side. If you look at the players while he’s giving his speeches they’re all attentive and nodding along so he’s got them all together if at least. 

9 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Should fire up that search function if you're memory is this bad.  I made a fairly detailed post with my thoughts on the approach which you've either forgotten, ignored or missed.  Look it up and maybe stop the weirdly aggressive press you're doing [emoji38]

I did brace myself for us to get slapped.  But that's more about being glass half full.  But you've just been proper dumb about my thoughts on our approach.  Like Jamie Redknapp style posting.

That was the crux of what you said man.

You insinuated Howe was being too aggressive and the only reason it worked out was because ASM had an amazing game and Pope did as well.

Completely ignoring the fact that we created just as many chances as they did because of Howe's approach, and really the game could have gone either way.

Being more pragmatic like you said, where you specifically referenced Rafa, would be sitting in deep more. That comes with it's own set of problems and doesn't guarantee anything. It's more likely you get pummelled as you are then never able to get out of your own half, much like Bournemouth against Liverpool today.

15 minutes ago, Emotic said:

....The Spaniard declaring about Steve Bruce: “He’s one of the most important managers that England has had in the last 100 years.”

It's that sort of brain fart which explains how their CL charge imploded last season. With that sort of honking judgement, it will probably happen again this time round.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

You insinuated Howe was being too aggressive and the only reason it worked out was because ASM had an amazing game and Pope did as well. - not the only reasons, but they were both key to it working.  Dubravka, we lose.  ASM off form, we lose.

Completely ignoring the fact that we created just as many chances as they did because of Howe's approach, and really the game could have gone either way. - I don't think this is true.  Their XG was higher than our XG overall.

Being more pragmatic like you said, where you specifically referenced Rafa, would be sitting in deep more. That comes with it's own set of problems and doesn't guarantee anything. It's more likely you get pummelled as you are then never able to get out of your own half, much like Bournemouth against Liverpool today. I did not say we should play like Rafa set us up - and Rafa did not set-up like that Palace display today.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

What's wild is that each subsequent handball was worse than the previous one. :lol: Not even a review.

Wait you actually think that was handball? :lol: how fast do you think humans can react?

5 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

You insinuated Howe was being too aggressive and the only reason it worked out was because ASM had an amazing game and Pope did as well. - not the only reasons, but they were both key to it working.  Dubravka, we lose.  ASM off form, we lose.

Completely ignoring the fact that we created just as many chances as they did because of Howe's approach, and really the game could have gone either way. - I don't think this is true.  Their XG was higher than our XG overall.

Being more pragmatic like you said, where you specifically referenced Rafa, would be sitting in deep more. That comes with it's own set of problems and doesn't guarantee anything. It's more likely you get pummelled as you are then never able to get out of your own half, much like Bournemouth against Liverpool today. I did not say we should play like Rafa set us up - and Rafa did not set-up like that Palace display today.

As far as the goalkeeper goes, well we have to give the manager credit for going out and getting Pope. A big part of being a more aggressive attacking team is having a top goalkeeper back there to protect you when you get caught out of position. Just like man City have Ederson do and Liverpool have Allisson do.  One thing Pope has really added is his higher starting position, which allowed him to smother a couple of Man City chances.

ASM was a big part of the whole tactical approach. He was purposely left high up the pitch to exploit the space behind Walker and run directly at Stones. He was setup to have that great performance. It wasn't just a random fluke.

We had a higher XG than they did first half and they bettered us in the second half. Our best chances were comparable to theirs. That game could have gone either way IMO. A better XG doesn't guarantee anything.

Under Rafa we sat in deep when we went up against Man City, and all the Sky commentators would bitch and moan about Rafa doing it , which we all complained about on here, because almost every team did the same thing. Rafa had us exceptionally well drilled and setup well enough to occasionally break, but we definitely sat in deep.

8 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

You can’t believe they turned a blind eye to that, if he doesn’t juggle it, it falls and they score.

Arms in a natural position. No reaction time. Adams also handled it. 

Never a pen. Hence nobody making any deal of it when normally it would be everywhere. 

Just now, Froggy said:

Never a pen. Hence nobody making any deal of it when normally it would be everywhere. 

:lol: You're taking this troll thing far. There's plenty of articles around questioning the decision.

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

It was all over twitter before the 3 o’clocks started.

Itll all be forgotten when the league manufacturers them back into the top 6.

10 minutes ago, KaKa said:

As far as the goalkeeper goes, well we have to give the manager credit for going out and getting Pope. A big part of being a more aggressive attacking team is having a top goalkeeper back there to protect you when you get caught out of position. Just like man City have Ederson do and Liverpool have Allisson do.  One thing Pope has really added is his higher starting position, which allowed him to smother a couple of Man City chances.  Yep, which is why I said he was crucial to the win cos he did things Dubravka can't and also dominated his area (which Dubravka is very hit and miss at). 

ASM was a big part of the whole tactical approach. He was purposely left high up the pitch to exploit the space behind Walker and run directly at Stones. He was setup to have that great performance. It wasn't just a random fluke.  I didn't say that it was?

We had a higher XG than they did first half and they bettered us in the second half. Our best chances were comparable to theirs. That game could have gone either way IMO. A better XG doesn't guarantee anything.  Yes, the game definitely could've gone either way.  And that's great against Man City.  My concern was just how much we started to surrender in the second half and maybe we had been too intense in the first.

Under Rafa we sat in deep when we went up against Man City, and all the Sky commentators would bitch and moan about Rafa doing it , which we all complained about on here, because almost every team did the same thing. Rafa had us exceptionally well drilled and setup well enough to occasionally break, but we definitely sat in deep.  Rafa had clear plans to counter and also a clear plan of when to press higher (70 minutes onwards).  Didn't just sit deep and look lost.  When we played big teams under Rafa, we would know what to do once the ball was won.  This isn't at all relevant to your initial lies about me wanting us to sit deep like Palace did.  

9 minutes ago, Flip said:

:lol: You're taking this troll thing far. There's plenty of articles around questioning the decision.

Not from anywhere reputable. It's handball only if you don't know the rules. There's been plenty of that on here already this season though :lol:

Never ever a pen. 

10 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

It was all over twitter before the 3 o’clocks started.

Itll all be forgotten when the league manufacturers them back into the top 6.

Have a look at who benefitted most from VAR last season

Hint: not us. 

3 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Not from anywhere reputable. It's handball only if you don't know the rules. There's been plenty of that on here already this season though :lol:

Never ever a pen. 

What are the rules nowadays? Feel like they change every other weekend depending on who is refereeing.

3 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

As far as the goalkeeper goes, well we have to give the manager credit for going out and getting Pope. A big part of being a more aggressive attacking team is having a top goalkeeper back there to protect you when you get caught out of position. Just like man City have Ederson do and Liverpool have Allisson do.  One thing Pope has really added is his higher starting position, which allowed him to smother a couple of Man City chances.  Yep, which is why I said he was crucial to the win cos he did things Dubravka can't and also dominated his area (which Dubravka is very hit and miss at). 

ASM was a big part of the whole tactical approach. He was purposely left high up the pitch to exploit the space behind Walker and run directly at Stones. He was setup to have that great performance. It wasn't just a random fluke.  I didn't say that it was?

We had a higher XG than they did first half and they bettered us in the second half. Our best chances were comparable to theirs. That game could have gone either way IMO. A better XG doesn't guarantee anything.  Yes, the game definitely could've gone either way.  And that's great against Man City.  My concern was just how much we started to surrender in the second half and maybe we had been too intense in the first.

Under Rafa we sat in deep when we went up against Man City, and all the Sky commentators would bitch and moan about Rafa doing it , which we all complained about on here, because almost every team did the same thing. Rafa had us exceptionally well drilled and setup well enough to occasionally break, but we definitely sat in deep.  Rafa had clear plans to counter and also a clear plan of when to press higher (70 minutes onwards).  Didn't just sit deep and look lost.  When we played big teams under Rafa, we would know what to do once the ball was won.  This isn't at all relevant to your initial lies about me wanting us to sit deep like Palace did. 

Okay, well it seems we disagree about Palace's approach. I don't think they just sit deep and look lost all game. Vieira sets them up to counter as well. I think towards the end of the game today they just got tired, as most teams do when defending against Man City, whether that's pressing them or sitting in deep, it is still taxing.

And so when I said you wanted us set up like Palace I was referring to their general counter attacking approach, and not how they might have looked at the end of the game, where you say they were sat deep and looking lost. My point was that even with that more conservative approach tiredness still creeps in and mistakes at the back can start to open up, which leads to goals.