Newcastle United 1 - 0 Aston Villa (13/02/2022)

Yorkie

Just now, Paz said:

morning peeps - just wanted to pop on and say congrats for the win, well deserved.  we weren't at it - you bossed the first half and we didn't have an answer for it.

inconsistency is our nemesis - great going forward on weds night but yesterday we didn't click at all.  if you weren't confident of staying up, i think you have to be now - other results went your way (apart from everton) but you don't need to rely on other teams now.

Your team seems slightly unbalanced too me. Has this been a feature since Gerrard was appointed?

Just now, r0cafella said:

Your team seems slightly unbalanced too me. Has this been a feature since Gerrard was appointed?

i think we are crying out for a natural DM - nakamba is our only one and he is out - he has his limitations but is good at breaking up play but we need an upgrade on him.

luiz plays in the pivot role but he isn't really that type of player - he isn't physical, and isn't a natural defender.  it isn't too difficult for other midfielders to overrun him - he needs time on the ball which is not afforded in the PL.

im still happy with what SG is trying to do - this isnt really his squad and is working out who is surplus to requiremetns and who he can rely on.

not sure who your next opponents are, but three on the bounce and you are going to be safe.

6 minutes ago, Paz said:

morning peeps - just wanted to pop on and say congrats for the win, well deserved.  we weren't at it - you bossed the first half and we didn't have an answer for it.

inconsistency is our nemesis - great going forward on weds night but yesterday we didn't click at all.  if you weren't confident of staying up, i think you have to be now - other results went your way (apart from everton) but you don't need to rely on other teams now.

Think your system and way of playing relies on your fullbacks putting in 8/10 performances weekly and thought both and Digne in particular where poor yesterday.

Just now, Paz said:

i think we are crying out for a natural DM - nakamba is our only one and he is out - he has his limitations but is good at breaking up play but we need an upgrade on him.

luiz plays in the pivot role but he isn't really that type of player - he isn't physical, and isn't a natural defender.  it isn't too difficult for other midfielders to overrun him - he needs time on the ball which is not afforded in the PL.

im still happy with what SG is trying to do - this isnt really his squad and is working out who is surplus to requiremetns and who he can rely on.

not sure who your next opponents are, but three on the bounce and you are going to be safe.

Yeah, I was wondering about your central midfield, given how attacking your full backs are the demands on your central midfielders and and full backs are hefty. 

He’s setting you up to play like a big side, and we did see very small glimpses of it, he might need to adapt his ambitions in the medium term though or I fear you will concede a lot. 

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Think your system and way of playing relies on your fullbacks putting in 8/10 performances weekly and thought both and Digne in particular where poor yesterday.

yea there has been more emphasis on our fullbacks since SG came in - mcginn was poor too which has an impact as he has the energy to go track back and get forward.

8 minutes ago, Paz said:

Have a mate who is a Villa fan and he’s been saying the same. Seems to think McGinn is an issue too - lots of energy, but not positionally disciplined. He kind of plays like that for Scotland tbf, but he has a few players around him that give him a licence to roam. What’s the deal with Chukwuema? Is he ready to step up? Heard lots of hype.

6 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Yeah, I was wondering about your central midfield, given how attacking your full backs are the demands on your central midfielders and and full backs are hefty. 

He’s setting you up to play like a big side, and we did see very small glimpses of it, he might need to adapt his ambitions in the medium term though or I fear you will concede a lot. 

fair comment - think he needs time to stamp his mark on the team - there will be changes in the summer window i reckon and this will give him a chance to implement his style more, with the players he brings in. 

can see luiz/sanson moving on as they aren't at the level to compete for top 8.

we have some good youngsters out on loan too - a lad called archer at preston - wished we had kept him and blooded him in as watkins and ings are not on it and haven't been for ages.

Just now, AJ9 said:

Have a mate who is a Villa fan and he’s been saying the same. Seems to think McGinn is an issue too - lots of energy, but not positionally disciplined. He kind of plays like that for Scotland tbf, but he has a few players around him that give him a licence to roam. What’s the deal with Chukwuema? Is he ready to step up? Heard lots of hype.

yea - he is more attacking instinct so can do that more for scotland given mctominay is their main dm.  he was poor against leeds and yesterday but had been in good form so its frustrating.  SG likes him though so think he basis the mf around him.  

chukwuemeka is one for the future - he is good but needs to be managed.  hasn't set the world alight when he has featured, but he is only just turned 18 and i think will get better.  there is a question mark around whether he will sign a prof contract with us or go to one of the big boys as they apparently (european teams too) are sniffing around.

1 hour ago, madras said:

You're letting your bias cloud your reason.

Not at all. He was very poor positionally, on and off the ball. Made a series of errors that lead to their goal (thankfully disallowed) and offered precious little in the final third.

It’s not bias, it’s a view I have based on watching him play. I’m sure he’s a lovely lad.

Edited by McCormick

23 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Not at all. He was very poor positionally, on and off the ball. Made a series of errors that lead to their goal (thankfully disallowed) and offered precious little in the final third.

It’s not bias, it’s a view I have based on watching him play. I’m sure he’s a lovely lad.

True he stuffed up for their goal and was OK apart from that, one very nice run up the line when he scooped the ball over tha Villa player trying to block him.

26 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Was amazing how much more comfortable we were playing it out from the back yesterday.

Didn't play it continually short as a matter of dogma like Everton did. We weren't afraid to mix it with some long balls out from Dubravka.

12 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Was at the game yesterday and then  just watched the highlights on sky there, sky definitely do something with the sound coz the atmosphere was fantastic but not captured on sky.

I don’t know a lot about broadcast but it’s more likely what they don’t do with the sound. They could capture it properly if they wanted to.

1 minute ago, Dr Venkman said:

I don’t know a lot about broadcast but it’s more likely what they don’t do with the sound. They could capture it properly if they wanted to.

Always the same. Atmosphere sounds class when you're there then watch the repeat and only the odd occasion you hear singing. Tbf not often the whole ground joins in

Just now, jack j said:

Always the same. Atmosphere sounds class when you're there then watch the repeat and only the odd occasion you hear singing. Tbf not often the whole ground joins in

Listen to a band live, sounds great. Record it with the wrong setup and don’t mix it properly, sounds like shit. Exactly the same principle.

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

They focus on the sounds of the ball and the commentary I guess. 

Depends on the ground and where the speakers are I guess. Hear plenty of away fans singing at grounds around the league

Just now, jack j said:

Depends on the ground and where the speakers are I guess. Hear plenty of away fans singing at grounds around the league

Totally depends on the set up. For instance, if I was rigging the ground I’d have about 3 or 4 different stereo pairs pointed at the strawberry corner just for starters.

7 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Regarding the marginal offside, we didn't get a stonewall pen at Villa Park because of this;

2021-08-21villa-a-action-5m.jpg

What goes around comes around.

This was before the takeover though. The Saudis are bribing the PL, FA, UEFA and FIFA now. It must be true as I’ve read it on RTG. 

3 minutes ago, jack j said:

The mics are pitch side and also hang from L7. 

I don’t think it’s distorted much at all. I think people think they’re in a much better atmosphere when they’re in amongst it rather than what can actually be heard from the other side of the ground.

So many times I’ve seen opposing fans talk about how much they sung their hearts out, but it being barely audible from the Gallowgate.

Unless the whole ground joins in (which is still quite rare), it’s not that loud. I mean the atmosphere is still good, but I don’t think it’s that distorted from reality.