sunderland

Big River

24 minutes ago, Paullow said:

www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/fuck-alex-neil.1587747

#BigClubWars

I wonder if that JohnSAFC is on here [emoji38]

Saw a bit of it, a thick cunt saying they’re bigger than Villa ???, if anyone’s ever in need of a laugh, just dip into there for 5 minutes, it’s fuckin hilarious. 

15 minutes ago, Cattletrucked said:

Saw a bit of it, a thick cunt saying they’re bigger than Villa ???, if anyone’s ever in need of a laugh, just dip into there for 5 minutes, it’s fuckin hilarious. 

Yeah, I can't seem to post proper links from that site these day, so has to be a copy and paste job, but I can't understand any logic whatsoever how they'd consider themselves a bigger club than Villa, and it's not just one of them claiming it. The only thing of about 10 in their favour is a bigger stadium, which is a pretty moot point anyway if they can't fill it, but pretty much every other metric would point to Villa.

I was browsing the Stoke forum yesterday to see what they were saying on the whole Neil saga, and this seemed quite apparent:

"Also, I read on another thread that they've only finished in the top 10 in the country three times since 1957 (31 seasons). That's worse than us I think. As long as I've followed football, they've been as much a regular fixture in the second tier as the first (let's not mention both teams having some time in the third tier) and as such just don't have the aura of the huge club they think they are. And by that, I'm comparing them with Leeds, Villa, Spurs, Newcastle and Man City- clubs that just looked out of place outside the top flight. Sunderland just don't have that feel and strike me as a better supported Sheff Utd."

https://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/305448/sunderland-view

Edited by Paullow

20 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Yeah, I can't seem to post proper links from that site these day, so has to be a copy and paste job, but I can't understand any logic whatsoever how they'd consider themselves a bigger club than Villa, and it's not just one of them claiming it. The only thing of about 10 in their favour is a bigger stadium, which is a pretty moot point anyway if they can't fill it, but pretty much every other metric would point to Villa.

I was browsing the Stoke forum yesterday to see what they were saying on the whole Neil saga, and this seemed quite apparent:

"Also, I read on another thread that they've only finished in the top 10 in the country three times since 1957 (31 seasons). That's worse than us I think. As long as I've followed football, they've been as much a regular fixture in the second tier as the first (let's not mention both teams having some time in the third tier) and as such just don't have the aura of the huge club they think they are. And by that, I'm comparing them with Leeds, Villa, Spurs, Newcastle and Man City- clubs that just looked out of place outside the top flight. Sunderland just don't have that feel and strike me as a better supported Sheff Utd."

https://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/305448/sunderland-view

Spot on that I’d say. They are thick as fuck man. Call everyone else (course including us) “delewded marra” sunluns a massive club….are they fuck! Just had a quick look, since I started going to the match in the early 70’s as a bairn. They’ve mostly been in the lower divisions and the best they’ve done is finishing 7th twice. The rest of the time in the top flight …mediocre…below mid table or fighting against relegation. They’ll point to attendances as they always do….and history shows they’re battered on that too, (even when St James capacity was reduced massively when the Leazes got knocked down) but they still won’t have it. They’re seriously not right in the heed ?

Edited by Cattletrucked
To add to comment

Alex Neil taking a few of their players this week would be hilarious, that Speakman fella was on Sky yesterday and he looks totally out of his depth, he seemed oblivious to how much of a bad situation he was in.

1 minute ago, Ben said:

Alex Neil taking a few of their players this week would be hilarious, that Speakman fella was on Sky yesterday and he looks totally out of his depth, he seemed oblivious to how much of a bad situation he was in.

Speykman?

Still can't get over this :lol:

For some shady reason, Neil has made this sideways (at best) move to Stoke. Everytime they get a decent manager their progress stops when they're poached by England (Allardyce) or Stoke.

Bet they wished they lost to Stoke last weekend. Like Spurs 0-3 Man Utd last season which kept Solskjaer and pushed Spurs to get Conte :lol:

After three (or four?) seasons in the third tier, clearly a limited transfer budget and not in a position to offer anything lucrative in terms of salary, I think they could do a lot worse than Mowbray.

The high risk/high reward would have been going for someone young and untested but I think they're happy to consolidate and Mowbray will do that imo.

17 minutes ago, Ben said:

Steling and his murder of soccer Saturday crows are pushing for Mowbray, glorious. 

The BBC (British Boys Club) were in full force yesterday. Needed Tim Sherwood’s gilet to really capture the stinking essence of Brexit however.

The hilarious thing about the "bigger than villa" claim is that most of them were actually sensible and shot down the idiots, saying that yes villa were clearly the bigger team - one comment which drew a lot of likes way that Sunderland have only played in Europe 4 times yet Villa have done loads and have actually won a European competition.

The reason this is hilarious is that not one of them would ever concede we're bigger than Sunderland, despite all of the descriptions of why villa are bigger also applying to us. 

One of them even claims they were bigger than Chelsea though which was just the funniest thing I've read in ages.

2 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

One of them even claims they were bigger than Chelsea though which was just the funniest thing I've read in ages.

Mental thing is, prior to c.1996 they would’ve been correct.  Chelsea to most people were London’s fourth club until the mid-‘90s. 

A reminder that footballing reputation isn’t static - it can change significantly over time. 

Oh I don't doubt that he was correct at some select point in history. But he doesn't have a time machine. Chelsea are massive now, Sunderland have been rotting in L1 for years.

And that's it, isn't it? No matter how long they bob about in the lower leagues, in their eyes it doesn't diminish their size - Exactly the metrics they judge other clubs by. Weirdos.

Guest HTT II

Sunderland are a big club, but not as big as Villa or indeed ourselves. And that’s not me being biased, it’s just the truth. Are Villa bigger than us? I’d say the margins between the two clubs are minute right now and have been the last 30 years or so.

7 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Team booed off the pitch for the 1000th time in a decade, obviously the mags and the magedia's fault.

To be fair I've seen it reported at SJP that the team were booed off when the boos were for the ref or opposition player(s) and the ref they had yesterday wasn't good.

Dial back to 1950 and there was no bigger club than Sunderland. In attendaces, success, wealth, even glamour, few clubs could match them (probably only Everton, Villa and Arsenal). That was then. Sunderland retain their (now ancient) history, but the only other element that suggests they are 'big' is their local support base. Right now they are minnows struggling to compete with Rotherham.