sunderland in the EFL

Big River

57 minutes ago, Disco said:

Saw a stat yesterday saying over 10m people have less than £500 in savings.

I know people who have worked for 35+ years and barely have £500 saved for an emergency. I couldn't sleep at night.

1 hour ago, Disco said:

Saw a stat yesterday saying over 10m people have less than £500 in savings.

In fairness, cash isn't a great thing to have hanging around in large amounts. The vast majority of my assets are not cash, since inflation is much higher than interest at the minute.

Although I agree with you that £500 is nowt. All it takes is a boiler or car failure and you're left up poo creek.

I wonder what the solution is. Partly living wage, partly education that you should have an emergency reserve. Partly society valuing fiscal security again rather than conspicuous consumption, even when people can't afford it.

5 minutes ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

In fairness, cash isn't a great thing to have hanging around in large amounts. The vast majority of my assets are not cash, since inflation is much higher than interest at the minute.

Although I agree with you that £500 is nowt. All it takes is a boiler or car failure and you're left up poo creek.

I wonder what the solution is. Partly living wage, partly education that you should have an emergency reserve. Partly society valuing fiscal security again rather than conspicuous consumption, even when people can't afford it.

He didn't say £500 is nowt.

5 minutes ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I thought it was implied that 10m don't have large savings, otherwise it would be a non-issue.

They don't have large savings. To them £500 is a lot. £500 is a lot to me and I'm a higher rate taxpayer.

4 minutes ago, madras said:

They don't have large savings. To them £500 is a lot. £500 is a lot to me and I'm a higher rate taxpayer.

You personally are on £50k plus a year and £500 is a lot to you?

7 minutes ago, robm said:

You personally are on £50k plus a year and £500 is a lot to you?

I'm in the same boat as Madras & £500 is alot to me also, infact £50 is alot to me. It's possibly the way I was brought up I guess. 

Just now, Charlies said:

I'm in the same boat as Madras & £500 is alot to me also, infact £50 is alot to me. It's possibly the way I was brought up I guess. 

There's two ways to look at it, there's personal circumstances and there's also understanding value. I can afford to pay £10 for a coffee but I won't. 

£500 would be a lot to me even if I earned 5k a week.

35 minutes ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I thought it was implied that 10m don't have large savings, otherwise it would be a non-issue.

Is what I was implying albeit context is personal obviously. But it’s the same price for all of your boiler goes or if you need to take time off work and don’t have good sick pay etc.

Just now, Disco said:

Is what I was implying albeit context is personal obviously. But it’s the same price for all of your boiler goes or if you need to take time off work and don’t have good sick pay etc.

Is it the same price for all if the boiler goes ? 

For some it's more than they have.

If I have 20k in the bank I can take a week on the sick even with shit sick pay, if I have nowt in the bank I go to work sick.

Just now, madras said:

Is it the same price for all if the boiler goes ? 

For some it's more than they have.

If I have 20k in the bank I can take a week on the sick even with shit sick pay, if I have nowt in the bank I go to work sick.

Eh? I’m agreeing with you. And yes it’ll be roughly the same cost to get your fouler fixed. Some can afford, some can’t.

Just now, Disco said:

Eh? I’m agreeing with you. And yes it’ll be roughly the same cost to get your fouler fixed. Some can afford, some can’t.

I know you were agreeing bit itvwas worth pointing out that its not the same, £500 is a night out to some, to others it's going cold for the winter. Still £500 but it's relative.

Sorry to derail but there's a segment on BBC Click right now about a technology company from Newcastle called Okkulo where they use shooting and goalkeeping target practice under a range of different lighting conditions, starting in normal light before gradually getting darker, to improve accuracy and anticipation, etc. They reckon our perception of movement and time changes under different lighting and so this has an impact on how a goalkeeper could react to a shot or a striker can anticipate where they'd receive a ball or to improve their shooting, all boiling down to muscle memory perhaps. 

Anyway, as it's a Newcastle based company, of course our neighbours are fully utilising it in their training methods. I know there are many, many sticks with which to beat them with but I think we mostly agree their training facilities are light years (pardon the pun) ahead of ours and I do think it's really interesting they're utilising this technology to help them. Certainly from the segment on Click, it looked a good incredibly interesting. They interviewed Luke O'Nien and Allison Cowling, both were very positive about how it's used. Again, not meaning to sound harsh, but if, as a League One side, Sunderland can have this then that might suggest it isn't all that expensive in the grand scheme of things. 

Perhaps it could be something our owners or Eddie and his team would be interested in implementing. 

1 hour ago, number37 said:

Sorry to derail but there's a segment on BBC Click right now about a technology company from Newcastle called Okkulo where they use shooting and goalkeeping target practice under a range of different lighting conditions, starting in normal light before gradually getting darker, to improve accuracy and anticipation, etc. They reckon our perception of movement and time changes under different lighting and so this has an impact on how a goalkeeper could react to a shot or a striker can anticipate where they'd receive a ball or to improve their shooting, all boiling down to muscle memory perhaps. 

Anyway, as it's a Newcastle based company, of course our neighbours are fully utilising it in their training methods. I know there are many, many sticks with which to beat them with but I think we mostly agree their training facilities are light years (pardon the pun) ahead of ours and I do think it's really interesting they're utilising this technology to help them. Certainly from the segment on Click, it looked a good incredibly interesting. They interviewed Luke O'Nien and Allison Cowling, both were very positive about how it's used. Again, not meaning to sound harsh, but if, as a League One side, Sunderland can have this then that might suggest it isn't all that expensive in the grand scheme of things. 

Perhaps it could be something our owners or Eddie and his team would be interested in implementing. 

I'm good mates with Mel who owns Okkulo. He's NUFC daft and approached the club a while ago well before the takeover but they weren't interested. He's since been in contact with the new owners and they are interested and he's hoping to strike a deal with them before too long. He's in the States at the minute hoping to tie up a deal with New York Red Bulls.