sunderland in the EFL

Big River

41 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Really pushing this attendance thing aren't they?

Don't they always say that all we talk about is attendances?[emoji38]

One of them was lamenting "their (our) constant need to refer to themselves as classy" yesterday.

Unreal :lol: 

9 minutes ago, Sima said:

One of them was lamenting "their (our) constant need to refer to themselves as classy" yesterday.

Unreal :lol: 

Self-awareness severely lacking.

[emoji38]

6 hours ago, Scoot said:

So they think they're the biggest club in the championship because they might get the biggest gates this time.

But the last time they were as high as the 2nd tier they didn't get good gates,

so they've become a bigger club after 4years in the 3rd division than they were then somehow!?

and if they're going by attendances, wouldn't that mean were a far bigger club than them, given its not even a rivallry and something like 88 of the last 100 seasons we've had bigger gates including when a division below!?

Edited by Wolfcastle

10 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

So they think they're the biggest club in the championship because they might get the biggest gates this time.

so they've become a bigger club after 4years in the 3rd division than they were then somehow!?

and if they're going by attendances, wouldn't that mean were a far bigger club than them, given its not even a rivallry and something like 88 of the last 100 seasons we've had bigger gates including when a division below!?

It's like when they say we wouldn't get the gates they had in the third division. Obviously we have never been that shit to be down at that level, but if you look at the average gates from the second division up to when we were promoted under Keegan (I'm not even going to include the last two times we were down there), the two clubs have averaged the following:

Second flight average
Newcastle 28,252
mackems 23,701

So where the fuck do they get their stance that we wouldn't get the same crowds as they would, fuck knows.

5 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

It's like when they say we wouldn't get the gates they had in the third division. Obviously we have never been that shit to be down at that level, but if you look at the average gates from the second division up to when we were promoted under Keegan (I'm not even going to include the last two times we were down there), the two clubs have averaged the following:

Second flight average
Newcastle 28,252
mackems 23,701

So where the fuck do they get their stance that we wouldn't get the same crowds as they would, fuck knows.

Mackematics! 

53 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Was reading something the other day which stated they'd sold 9,000 U16s season tickets at £48 a pop and seemingly a lot of parents buy the extra ticket as it's so cheap even if it's only to take the bairn to 4 or 5 games over the season as it still works out cheaper. Would also explan why when they were quoting 30k+ crowds last season it was evident that the true figure was far lower.

Either way I hope they remian the "biggest" team in the Championship for years to come, although I wouldn't be adverse to another stint in Division 3 for them so they could renew hostilities with all their old marras.

36 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Second flight average
Newcastle 28,252
mackems 23,701

Particularly as we hold the British (and I think world) record average attendance for a season outside of a top flight league, and three of the top 5 highest average attendances outside of a top flight league:

1947/48 - NUFC - 56,283

1949/50 - Spurs - 54,111

2016/17 - NUFC - 51,106

1946/47 - NUFC - 49,397

1974/75 - Man U - 48,389

Edited by Jackie Broon

9 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Particularly as we hold the British (and I think world) record average attendance for a season outside of a top flight league, and three of the top 5 highest average attendances outside of a top flight league:

1947/48 - NUFC - 56,283

1949/50 - Spurs - 54,111

2016/17 - NUFC - 51,106

1946/47 - NUFC - 49,397

1974/75 - Man U - 48,389

Hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good old made up mackem/mag bashing story though eh?

5 hours ago, Scoot said:

Hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good old made up mackem/mag bashing story though eh?

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/nufc-and-other-sportswashing-spring-2022.1574237/page-595#post-36285581

"The mags will finish 12th at best and will be knocked out of all the cups in the early rounds. Last season proved whenever they played any half decent opposition they got turned over."

Arsenal fans not happy with that post.

12 hours ago, Scoot said:

They’re about to be the EFL (they seem to ignore there’s another league above) attendance champions.

5 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Was reading something the other day which stated they'd sold 9,000 U16s season tickets at £48 a pop and seemingly a lot of parents buy the extra ticket as it's so cheap even if it's only to take the bairn to 4 or 5 games over the season as it still works out cheaper. Would also explan why when they were quoting 30k+ crowds last season it was evident that the true figure was far lower.

Either way I hope they remian the "biggest" team in the Championship for years to come, although I wouldn't be adverse to another stint in Division 3 for them so they could renew hostilities with all their old marras.

Last season their attendances were a good 5,000 (often more) below what was actually reported. All you had to do was look at their highlights to see the massive seat gaps around the ground.

Edited by et tu brute

Guest HTT II
4 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Last season their attendances were a good 5,000 (iften more) below what was actually reported. All you had to do was look at their highlights to see the massive seat gaps around the ground.

My mate is a season card holder there, he is a massive lads fan, but says most of their ‘top’ attendances was well under 30k and not to take any published attendance figures as fact because they are bullshit basically! Also my own company accountant of 50 years, a proper SAFC fan, says they are fucked financially unless their boy owner pumps tens of millions in and gets them back into the PL and even then their income alone won’t sustain things without him having to keep doing so. He said Short at least put his own money in, but just trusted it to the wrong people because he didn’t have a clue about football.

It's a good article about the derbies, and I can see in the comments that the Mackem self defence instinct has kicked in.

I was wondering how they would square how, if they ever played us again, they would undoubtedly get spanked.

Apparently, the results would be void altogether due to the huge wealth of our owners, and they wouldn't really be playing Newcastle but Saudi Arabia.

Well done to them for getting their excuses in early and even having the mental capacity to think ahead.

You could of course point out that their run of recent victories was bankrolled by a billionaire who wasted hundreds of millions on them, whilst our wallpaper billionaire was extracting value from our club.

But if so, then we'd have to write those results off as well and they wouldn't agree with that for .... reasons.

They signed anyone yet? Be interesting to see what ambitions they have this season. 

May have even heard of 1 or 2 of them this time. 

Edited by Dokko

'When Henderson makes reference to Newcastle fans and an “inflated sense of self-entitlement,” as he puts it, “The way in which the Saudi regime have been welcomed into the club with open arms has only exposed this to the wider footballing world,” he says.'

Being that were the pinnacle of any ambition I've ever known mackems have (finishing above us, beating us, north east top dogs) maybe having goals beyond that comes off as self-entitlement when its just not being sad.

Didn't realise welcoming people was a sign of self-entitlement, I thought the opposite, if anything, was true.

But then these are just parroted words aren't they.

6 hours ago, Dancing Brave said:

1. Would ANY clubs fans get behind a massive Saudi investment...YES 

Will any of them go as far as to not watch the world cup on TV? No. But they'd raze their clubs to the ground, unlike us, on principle of course.

Edited by Wolfcastle

I thought it was a proper Henderson too!

In fact it's some Gavin Henderson, no less, who writes for something called Roker Report. 

I say writes, probably just taps a keyboard with his nose like Homer's typing bird.

And good luck to the little feller, I say.