sunderland in the EFL

Big River

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

He apparently slept rough in the Rising Sun Country Park and he actually died around Thunder Thursday, back in 2012. Think his body was found around there. :(

Aye around the time we had that really bad weather IIRC, I’d see him loads in town and he never bothered anyone, such a tragedy and again when I spoke to him on the bus he was so gentle and he seemed taken aback I sat next to him, everyone else was giving him a wide birth or dirty looks, we can be cruel sometimes.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, RS said:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/inside-story-death-tynesides-most-4037054.amp

sorry chronic link. 

on the tramp vein do any wallsenders remember Suzy the tramp?  Was quite a common sight on the coast road path in the 70’s-80’s

Bad craic calling them tramps like. I associate tramps as little cunts who go around terrorising people. I remember a few years back at Tynemouth Station some homeless bloke having left over fish and chips thrown at him and he was so hungry he was picking them up off the floor, thankfully someone from some homeless charity reached out to him and helped him out over the following weeks. I had my boys with me but I was willing to smash the cunts who did it, teenagers mucking about. The man is a human being!

2 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Aye around the time we had that really bad weather IIRC, I’d see him loads in town and he never bothered anyone, such a tragedy and again when I spoke to him on the bus he was so gentle and he seemed taken aback I sat next to him, everyone else was giving him a wide birth or dirty looks, we can be cruel sometimes.

I often used to see him wandering around Eldon Square, when I worked in town 20 years ago. Do remember seeing him root through bins, but never saw him beg.

Guest HTT II
Just now, Big Geordie said:

I often used to see him wandering around Eldon Square, when I worked in town 20 years ago. Do remember seeing him root through bins, but never saw him beg.

Aye I never did either and again he refused money from me. There used to be an old women that used to push a trolley around full of junk around the Haymarket area and would get abused on the nighttime by drinkers, she would wear bin liners. I’m sceptical of beggars sadly in this day and age, but homelessness is a genuine problem and there are many out there who are genuinley homeless. Like Jimmy.

He had a flat on Warwick St during the early 2000's. So he'd of used the no 1 bus, he refused to be connected to mains gas and electric and his flat was in quite a state. I moved from the area so not sure if he was evicted but regardless of having a home he still walked the streets constantly during the time I was aware of him. 

Guest HTT II
Just now, frankpingel said:

He had a flat on Warwick St during the early 2000's. So he'd of used the no 1 bus, he refused to be connected to mains gas and electric and his flat was in quite a state. I moved from the area so not sure if he was evicted but regardless of having a home he still walked the streets constantly during the time I was aware of him. 

I always thought he was from Benwell/Elswick as we’d see him in the area a lot. 

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

I always thought he was from Benwell/Elswick as we’d see him in the area a lot. 

He was obviously troubled so I've no doubt he was rehoused in different areas by the council perhaps. Anyways he wasn't considered a threat in the area from my recollection, although I lived in a different street he was well known.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, frankpingel said:

He was obviously troubled so I've no doubt he was rehoused in different areas by the council perhaps. Anyways he wasn't considered a threat in the area from my recollection, although I lived in a different street he was well known.

I could be wrong, but I’m sure he lost maybe his wife and kid or kids in a house fire, very little is known of him and he refused lots of help and was happy to wander the streets like you say. I kind of admire the guy for going off course and not being trapped into a system that’s, well, nowhere near perfect for anyone really. 

43 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Bad craic calling them tramps like. I associate tramps as little cunts who go around terrorising people. I remember a few years back at Tynemouth Station some homeless bloke having left over fish and chips thrown at him and he was so hungry he was picking them up off the floor, thankfully someone from some homeless charity reached out to him and helped him out over the following weeks. I had my boys with me but I was willing to smash the cunts who did it, teenagers mucking about. The man is a human being!

They were called temps back in the day though. They probably didn’t give a shit either. 

28 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I could be wrong, but I’m sure he lost maybe his wife and kid or kids in a house fire, very little is known of him and he refused lots of help and was happy to wander the streets like you say. I kind of admire the guy for going off course and not being trapped into a system that’s, well, nowhere near perfect for anyone really. 

Some canny Youtube vids featuring old geezers living off grid. Jock one's the best.

I've mentioned before I'm a retired Fm and we used to get turned out all the time in the middle of the night because a local homeless bloke used to start fires to keep warm. Albert was his name. Mad as a box of frogs but hard as nails with it. Was kipping in a derelict building down the quayside for a while and fucking doo-gooders would ring in when they saw smoke billowing out the windows. He had some canny braziers on the go like :lol:

Last time I saw him he'd been persuaded to go into a halfway house/shelter on Scrogg Rd. Didn't recognise him, sober, shaven and cleaned up. Him not me. He was a menace but ok with us.

I remember another one. Huge, huge fella. Used to push a shopping trolley, shirtless, around town filling it up with empty cans he collected. Conan The Barbarian, we nicknamed him.

Best of all was this other tramp. Big scruffy fat cunt who used to beg for food outside the pizza place opposite the station and keep kebabs he's chored in his pockets. Became manager at Newcastle United, they say ;_)

30 minutes ago, HTT II said:

There were similar stories about Malcolm Langstaff, often seen around Jesmond in just cowboy boots on playing his guitar and shouting at passing traffic in the 80s and 90s, struggling with his mental health after losing his wife and kid in a car accident. I don't think that was actually true.

28 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Some canny Youtube vids featuring old geezers living off grid. Jock one's the best.

I've mentioned before I'm a retired Fm and we used to get turned out all the time in the middle of the night because a local homeless bloke used to start fires to keep warm. Albert was his name. Mad as a box of frogs but hard as nails with it. Was kipping in a derelict building down the quayside for a while and fucking doo-gooders would ring in when they saw smoke billowing out the windows. He had some canny braziers on the go like :lol:

Last time I saw him he'd been persuaded to go into a halfway house/shelter on Scrogg Rd. Didn't recognise him, sober, shaven and cleaned up. Him not me. He was a menace but ok with us.

I remember another one. Huge, huge fella. Used to push a shopping trolley, shirtless, around town filling it up with empty cans he collected. Conan The Barbarian, we nicknamed him.

Best of all was this other tramp. Big scruffy fat cunt who used to beg for food outside the pizza place opposite the station and keep kebabs he's chored in his pockets. Became manager at Newcastle United, they say ;_)

Did he have black

hair and glasses? Saw a fella matching your description pulling a bus shelter apart with his bare hands on Marlborough Crescent in the 80’s. 

Guest HTT II

There is bloke in Elswick who plays golf on some patch of grass near a main road near Cruddas Park flats and shouts and screams at people, he doesn’t tee off, just swings a golf club. I remember the Pondarosa too in Elswick across from MA Brothers. Some right mad bastards would just swing by for a few cans randomly and end up having weekend sessions. One bloke I knew when the riots were happening in the 90s in the West End took a camera off a BBC reporter live on air and started filming the riots himself [emoji38]

43 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Did he have black

hair and glasses? Saw a fella matching your description pulling a bus shelter apart with his bare hands on Marlborough Crescent in the 80’s. 

Tbf that sounds like Albert. Conan was bald. 

26 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Tbf that sounds like Albert. Conan was bald. 

This fella was hairy as fuck, short black hair, nee shirt, pit boots and NHS gigs. 
literally bent the frame of the bus stop with his bare hands. Me and my mates egged him on from the safety of the upstairs of the 642. 

4 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

This fella was hairy as fuck, short black hair, nee shirt, pit boots and NHS gigs. 
literally bent the frame of the bus stop with his bare hands. Me and my mates egged him on from the safety of the upstairs of the 642. 

Albert

Always thought how precarious we all are in terms of being homeless. A run of bad luck, loss of job, business collapse. I was thinking of it a lot before COVID, being self employed there’s so many things out of my control that can effect my ability to make money. Scary, really. 

59 minutes ago, Ste said:

Always thought how precarious we all are in terms of being homeless. A run of bad luck, loss of job, business collapse. I was thinking of it a lot before COVID, being self employed there’s so many things out of my control that can effect my ability to make money. Scary, really. 

There's some stat they worked out like 75% of the population are 6 weeks away from being homeless.