sunderland in the EFL

Big River

Mate, at this point I don’t know what you mean, I know travel would be available to both places but for some reason he chose Newcastle thankfully, first game in 76 for me, brother and fatha far earlier.

Far as I’m concerned you can fuck all the way off. 🙂

59 minutes ago, Doc said:

Eh, I agree that choices of support generally come from your parents but travel at the time probably played a part. 
we are talking pre Dr Beechings here though.

As for Mackem excuse, piss off. 🤣

Grew up in Washington. Sunderland is a 12minute drive away and have never once gone or been dragged there shopping and had one night out (work). Travel has nothing to do with either of those. Its reasonable to conclude similar applies to football.

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

Mate, at this point I don’t know what you mean, I know travel would be available to both places but for some reason he chose Newcastle thankfully, first game in 76 for me, brother and fatha far earlier.

Far as I’m concerned you can fuck all the way off. 🙂

It was you who was going against my point and using the 'old days travel' as an excuse. I'm just saying that's bollocks, if you don't agree that's fine. 

I’m not sure what I’m excusing here?

24 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

It was you who was going against my point and using the 'old days travel' as an excuse. I'm just saying that's bollocks, if you don't agree that's fine. 

Their arguments boil down to:

"If we had more fans than the mags, we'd have more fans. We also had bigger attendances than them in the years where our gates were bigger, which proves this."

Honestly you can have a fucking aneurysm just reading RTG and attempting to unpick the logic.

2 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

You know when they got promoted in 95/96 and football was a lot more popular and everything. Why didn't they have their version of '1992' where we got promoted to 30,000 full houses every game and thousands locked out, instead of averaging 17,000?

Do you think it is a coincidence that in 1991 we had a sub-20k average; one of only four seasons post-World War I (there's only been three post-WWII) where this was the case?  The twats are rabid about it.  'They used to average under 20k'.  Three times in eighty-seven years that has been the case.  As any mackematics textbook of statistical analysis will tell you; robust analysis of statistical and probablistic outliers which diverge from the central tendency of the median don't fucking count when it comes to Newcastle.

The geography point is a strange one seeing as they used to brag about having a bigger population than Newcastle until they started eating themselves to death and don’t anymore. 

6 hours ago, elbee909 said:

Re. attendances, 'Ready To Go' doesn't mean they actually 'go'

"Ready To Go..."

On the offender list

Out of the EU

To a Tommy Rally

11 minutes ago, RS said:

The geography point is a strange one seeing as they used to brag about having a bigger population than Newcastle until they started eating themselves to death and don’t anymore. 

Yeah, it used to be one they’d use - though the obvious point that Wallsend isn’t in Newcastle yet you won’t find many Mackems there eluded them

NB I once had an argument with a bloke who thought that Wallsend was in Newcastle.  The most startling part was him telling me he’d lived in Wallsend all his life - he was comfortably in his 40s.  Imagine living all those decades in a place and still not know where it is?

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah, it used to be one they’d use - though the obvious point that Wallsend isn’t in Newcastle yet you won’t find many Mackems there eluded them

NB I once had an argument with a bloke who thought that Wallsend was in Newcastle.  The most startling part was him telling me he’d lived in Wallsend all his life - he was comfortably in his 40s.  Imagine living all those decades in a place and still not know where it is?

For all intents and purposes Wallsend is Newcastle. They split up the council areas some decades ago to basically gerrymeand. It wasn’t that long ago that Wallsend was in the Newcastle East constituency, and has now moved over into North Tyneside.

Wallsend is just a suburb of Newcastle, same as all of North Tyneside, same as Gateshead, South Tyneside, and parts of Northumberland in reality.

For what it’s worth, large parts of North Tyneside actually has Newcastle upon Tyne in their official address. It’s quite possible that Wallsend still does and that’s where the guy you spoke too is coming from.

Edited by Stifler

7 minutes ago, Stifler said:

For all intents and purposes Wallsend is Newcastle. They split up the council areas some decades ago to basically gerrymeand. It wasn’t that long ago that Wallsend was in the Newcastle East constituency, and has now moved over into North Tyneside.

Wallsend is just a suburb of Newcastle, same as all of North Tyneside, same as Gateshead, South Tyneside, and parts of Northumberland in reality.

For what it’s worth, large parts of North Tyneside actually has Newcastle upon Tyne in their official address. It’s quite possible that Wallsend still does and that’s where the guy you spoke too is coming from.

It was more that the guy was ranting about a lad on our coach for an away game who was from Hexham, and he was banging on about how he wasn't from Newcastle and therefore was a glory-seeker.  I otherwise wouldn't have worried at all about the distinction

edit: Wallsend isn't a suburb of Newcastle, mind.  It is a town separate to Newcastle, and always has been.  Parliamentary constituencies aren't how a city's limits are marked

double edit: Gateshead isn't either - you might class them as commuter towns, but they are most definitely not suburbs of Newcastle

Edited by TheBrownBottle

I cannot think of a single reason why it matters where you live when related to which football team you support.

There are many reasons why someone from outside of the area might choose to support Newcastle or Sunderland...  is it like you must be born within the sound of Bow Bells to be a proper Cockney? So therefore you must be born in the centre circle at ST James' to qualify to be a Newcastle supporter?

2 minutes ago, pinkeye said:

I cannot think of a single reason why it matters where you live when related to which football team you support.

There are many reasons why someone from outside of the area might choose to support Newcastle or Sunderland...  is it like you must be born within the sound of Bow Bells to be a proper Cockney? So therefore you must be born in the centre circle at ST James' to qualify to be a Newcastle supporter?

Poor analogy. You can't hear a centre circle 😉

Mind you can hear the crowd when we score. All they from shitsville 😉

3 minutes ago, pinkeye said:

It is a weird thing to obsess over.  Who gives a shite?  I don't get irritated anymore when I listen to Man Utd fans from Truro whining.  I just don't listen to them.

4 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Poor analogy. You can't hear a centre circle 😉

Mind you can hear the crowd when we score. All they from shitsville 😉

Sorry mate, was all I could think of in my current state of fume being a Gateshead based Newcastle season ticket holder, it has always been my largest concern that Gateshead may at some point in the future get taken by the mackems....  What would become of me then?

2 minutes ago, pinkeye said:

Sorry mate, was all I could think of in my current state of fume being a Gateshead based Newcastle season ticket holder, it has always been my largest concern that Gateshead may at some point in the future get taken by the mackems....  What would become of me then?

I've heard from a solid mackem source that Gateshead is already 51.5765367% sunderland - so it would be a liberation rather than an annexation .... ;) 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I've heard from a solid mackem source that Gateshead is already 51.5765367% sunderland - so it would be a liberation rather than an annexation .... ;) 

Holy shit, can only be true in this case!

:D