sunderland in the EFL

Big River

21 hours ago, Dr Venkman said:

What’s to gain? Absolutely hammering them into oblivion. Would have thought that was obvious.

They are in oblivion now for as much as it concerns us and have been for years. Playing them would bring them out of that.

Besides it doesn't work like that. We've had by far the better team several times and won shit games narrowly or didn't win at all. Even if we actually did it wouldn't be as much of a hammering as them not even being good enough to get to play us.

Case in point right there perhaps.

Were more than an entire division ahead of them, with a final in a weeks time and in contention for the Champions League - and they're going on like that.

There's no argueing with that. Some of them are happy with this. What would they and the excuses be like if they got to play us. Don't give them the satisfaction. If anything more humility pummelled into them by going the opposite way seems to be just and required here.

Edited by Jonas

To be fair they all seem to be enjoying the way things are going and loving going to the matches which, as a supporter, is ultimately all that matters. We all want to go and just enjoy watching our own team and get some pleasure out of it otherwise what's the point? I think they're going (massively) over the top about the standard of what they're watching but they seem happy enough with it. They're currently sandwiched in between Luton and Watford and I'm yet to hear fans from those 2 bang on constantly about how fucking great they are but hey ho, live and let live. 

5 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

They are in oblivion now for as much as it concerns us and have been for years. Playing them would bring them out of that.

Besides it doesn't work like that. We've had by far the better team several times and won shit games narrowly or didn't win at all. Even if we actually did it wouldn't be as much of a hammering as them not even being good enough to get to play us.

Yep.  I remember playing them at home late in 96/97 - we’re going for the CL (and finished 2nd), they’re in the doldrums (ended up relegated 3rd bottom).  We had to scramble a late equaliser to salvage a point.  A lot of the confident ‘we’d be guaranteed to smash the 8-0’ shite isn’t borne out by history or reality.  Bournemouth are second bottom and we’re top four - but you wouldn’t have thought it last week.

Let the cunts rot, I say. 

12 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Whatever helps them sleep at night I guess.

Whatever happens between now and May. Sunderland will have the equivalent of our worst season in 31 years. Unless we totally collapse and finish 7th or lower, we'll have had the equivalent of Sunderland's best season in 68 years.

I went for a curry in Sunderland last night and got talking to a "sensible" Makem, he said they will need at least 11 players if they scrape promotion this season and even then he'd be worried.

39 minutes ago, Ben said:

I went for a curry in Sunderland last night and got talking to a "sensible" Makem, he said they will need at least 11 players if they scrape promotion this season and even then he'd be worried.

They'll need to do a Forest to stand a chance, like. I don't think they'll go up still. Top 2 are away and I reckon Boro and Watford will be the two favourites. Then it's all about whether they can keep that core of 4-5 players together.

16 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

Losers mentality.

And - the act of us playing them doesn’t lift them out of anything. I don’t mind whether they get promoted or not. I’d be looking forward to playing them though for sure.

Edited by Dr Venkman

2 hours ago, Dr Venkman said:

Losers mentality.

And - the act of us playing them doesn’t lift them out of anything. I don’t mind whether they get promoted or not. I’d be looking forward to playing them though for sure.

Sounds like its about revenge for the 6 in a row with some.  I'm totally placated and secure with the way things are I don't feel that way or the need to have them be anything more than a laughing stock/harmless lower league neighbur that we'll likely finished ahead of every season for the rest of our lives.  That's anything but a losers mentality possibly.

We won thirteen league games in a row then lost at home to Grimsby without scoring. Football isn't science.

Just personally us playing them would be the first time in a decade i'd actually be watching them live so it might be isolated but certainly applies to me. (the oblivion thing).

1 hour ago, Wolfcastle said:

Sounds like its about revenge for the 6 in a row with some.  I'm totally placated and secure with the way things are I don't feel that way or the need to have them be anything more than a laughing stock/harmless lower league neighbur that we'll likely finished ahead of every season for the rest of our lives.  That's anything but a losers mentality possibly.

We won thirteen league games in a row then lost at home to Grimsby without scoring. Football isn't science.

Just personally us playing them would be the first time in a decade i'd actually be watching them live so it might be isolated but certainly applies to me. (the oblivion thing).

Yeah. I get it. You don’t want to play them because we might not beat them. I do want to play them because I’m positive we will.