sunderland in the EFL

Big River

6 minutes ago, geordiesteve710 said:

Without looking at the data I'd contend that most clubs in the top flight, maybe even top two divisions saw their attendances double between 1990 and 2000.

Bloody Keegan!!!

Yeah that's kinda my point. Everyone, even Man U, had shit attendances in the 80s.

Then when the PL started and football rebooted and became fashionable again, everyone's attendances jumped. 

Sure, that coincided with us having a good run, but looking at every single other club we'd have seen a decent boost anyway.

Edited by Chris_R

8 hours ago, TK-421 said:

Moral compass, FFS.

From the supporters of the club that supported and still played a fiddler.

To be fair it was/is a normal practice in Sunderland, it was only when a Newcastle court room saw otherwise 

3 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Yeah that's kinda my point. Everyone, even Man U, had shit attendances in the 80s.

Then when the PL started and football rebooted and became fashionable again, everyone's attendances jumped. 

Sure, that coincided with us having a good run, but looking at every single other club we have seen a decent boost anyway.

Think it also coincided with the boom of the premier league where stadia become much safer where women and kids could go. Also the first proper meaningful rise against racism in football. As you say everyone's attendances saw the average increase 

54 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Sure, that coincided with us having a good run, but looking at every single other club we'd have seen a decent boost anyway.

On the Premier League's first day in 1992 we had the biggest crowd in the country iirc even though we were 2nd division* at the time. Arsenal, Everton and Leeds were at home that day.

Re: the bit in bold: Aye, there were a while range of factors that I'd probably put together under the umbrella of "gentrification of football." Started with Italia 90, then the PL, Fantasy football  Euro 96, the likes of Chris Evans and Zoe Ball, all made football more mainstream in the national conscience.

*sorry but I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before call the second tier of English football "Division 1."

Edited by geordiesteve710
Nee strikethrough function

2 hours ago, geordiesteve710 said:

On the Premier League's first day in 1992 we had the biggest crowd in the country iirc even though we were 2nd division* at the time. Arsenal, Everton and Leeds were at home that day.

Re: the bit in bold: Aye, there were a while range of factors that I'd probably put together under the umbrella of "gentrification of football." Started with Italia 90, then the PL, Fantasy football  Euro 96, the likes of Chris Evans and Zoe Ball, all made football more mainstream in the national conscience.

That's correct (researched it for something on the Mag a while back). And the next home game ("game day 3") against West Ham too (Everton got 18,118). Probably for a few others too - Grimsby for sure, 10,000 more than were at Man City's game in the top-flight, and Grimsby was maxed out (could have been more).

Just now, Sempiternal said:

Clarke is a weird player. Sometimes you watch him and he looks like a PL player. Good touch, very technical, then others he makes tons of bad decisions. He’s like a B-Tech grealish. 

He's young and good coaching may help that. Don't know what the price is but could be worth it for a Palace or Bournemouth 

1 minute ago, madras said:

He's young and good coaching may help that. Don't know what the price is but could be worth it for a Palace or Bournemouth 

Yeah I like watching him, very elegant footballer, be interested to see how he gets on. Had a behind the scenes fallout at Spurs from what I remember but seems to have been fine at Sunderland 

Just now, Sempiternal said:

Yeah I like watching him, very elegant footballer, be interested to see how he gets on. Had a behind the scenes fallout at Spurs from what I remember but seems to have been fine at Sunderland 

Sunderland were, from the games I saw on the box, the best footballing team in that division last season but got bullied in both boxes and like Luton showed, other teams knew they could do that.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

Sunderland were, from the games I saw on the box, the best footballing team in that division last season but got bullied in both boxes and like Luton showed, other teams knew they could do that.

Yeah they had too many technical players, they looked like kids against Luton. Clarke would prob do well in a team like palace tbf. 

4 hours ago, madras said:

You’re not wrong. 

They could play good stuff on the counter, but they had a wafer thin squad and very little  physicality. 

17 hours ago, geordiesteve710 said:

Without looking at the data I'd contend that most clubs in the top flight, maybe even top two divisions saw their attendances double between 1990 and 2000.

Bloody Keegan!!!

The data shows the average top flight attendance in 1990 was 20,757. Last season it was 40,416.

The Keegan effect!

45 minutes ago, The Fountain said:

They adored him when he first went there.

He bought them pints in the Colliery Tavern and wore a FTM badge, what more could they want?

...or was that the previous owner :icon_scratch:

55 minutes ago, The Fountain said:

Aye, I remember we all looked at it and thought it was dodgy and they all defended him saying he had the backing etc.

It sharp changed when they never went up.

Edited by Stifler

6 hours ago, The Fountain said:

Sure.

But when Ashley was downing pints in the away end, sacked Allardyce and brought Keegan back, we didn't exactly hate him either.

Sometimes it takes a while.

Of course Donald always looked like a chancer from the outside, but from the inside you want to give the owner a chance, you want them to succeed because that's what's best for the club and for you.

Edited by Chris_R

2 minutes ago, Viana said:

Satori remains a mysterious figure though.

Donald was sussed quite quickly by their fans, but it’s impossible to gauge Satori’s influence and intention.

Was he? How long was it after he bought the club, that they turned up en masse to change the seats free of charge? Seem to recall that ‘The Don’ was universally admired for a substantial time?