sunderland in the EFL

Big River

19 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

A) I honestly don't think any of them were very good, I think Neil was probably the pick of a poor bunch as he at least looked to get onto the ball and didn't just give it away like Bellingham or Ekwah.

B) Isak is a handful for any defence nevermind ours, However I thought Joelinton caused us massive problems by drifting into the left hand channels to free up Gordon and we didn't know what to do. Once the game went 1-0 it was a stroll in the park for Bruno also.

Good honest reply.  A mackem acquaintance of mine (cough) told me pre game that Jack Clark was going to torture our defence.  What do you think happened there then?

1 minute ago, Rod said:

Good honest reply.  A mackem acquaintance of mine (cough) told me pre game that Jack Clark was going to torture our defence.  What do you think happened there then?

It was probably one of his worst performances but he also wasn't given any supply or support to even have a go, Alese never overlapped and we had nothing on the right hand side to stretch the game so he was continuously doubled up on.

He was up against a top class full back aswell. 

1 minute ago, TeddySAFC said:

It was probably one of his worst performances but he also wasn't given any supply or support to even have a go, Alese never overlapped and we had nothing on the right hand side to stretch the game so he was continuously doubled up on.

He was up against a top class full back aswell. 

Is the correct answer.

After the weekends match, do safc really want to be promoted? 

If they go up, they could spend £250m and still be relegated, they are light-years away.

What exactly is 'the model' that gets referenced all the time? Looks like Mike Ashley buy cheap, sell for a profit, without the premier League survival part.

Could be one plan I guess.

Personally can't see them coming up under KLD, there's always going to be teams with the above mentioned parachute payment competing against them, until they do go up.

6 minutes ago, Karjala said:

After the weekends match, do safc really want to be promoted? 

If they go up, they could spend £250m and still be relegated, they are light-years away.

What exactly is 'the model' that gets referenced all the time? Looks like Mike Ashley buy cheap, sell for a profit, without the premier League survival part.

One poor performance doesn't indicate we are absolutely shite and light years away. We are light years away from competing with a Prem team that's invested significantly and will continue to do so for years and years to come, That isn't realistically who we can look to be.

Anyone who gets promoted now faces a huge battle to stay up anyway, So you might aswell go for it and the worst thing that happens is you pocket the cash to build and go again to try and bridge the gap for the next time you go up.

You never know whats round the corner.

Tbf there probably wasn’t a great between them and Luton last season, and although they’ll likely still get relegated, Luton are at least making a fist of it this season.

If you have a decent Championship squad and you can add a couple of higher quality players, like Luton have managed without too much outlay with Barkley and Townsend, you will give yourself a chance.

For a team that’s not throwing lots of money around, the model is working to an extent. Buying in young players who don’t quite make the grade for first team football (coming through the academies of top tier clubs) is a decent plan but one that I think won’t result in promotion unless it’s married with bringing in experienced players too. Will be interesting to see how Sunderland progress. @TeddySAFC in terms of yearly revenue and profit that can go towards bringing in players, do you know what sort of shape you’re in?

12 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

One poor performance doesn't indicate we are absolutely shite and light years away. We are light years away from competing with a Prem team that's invested significantly and will continue to do so for years and years to come, That isn't realistically who we can look to be.

Anyone who gets promoted now faces a huge battle to stay up anyway, So you might aswell go for it and the worst thing that happens is you pocket the cash to build and go again to try and bridge the gap for the next time you go up.

Yeah, this is it like.  Getting out of the second division is hardly impossible for a club like Sunderland.  The automatics look beyond them this year, but the POs are a lottery, ultimately. 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

For a team that’s not throwing lots of money around, the model is working to an extent. Buying in young players who don’t quite make the grade for first team football (coming through the academies of top tier clubs) is a decent plan but one that I think won’t result in promotion unless it’s married with bringing in experienced players too. Will be interesting to see how Sunderland progress. @TeddySAFC in terms of yearly revenue and profit that can go towards bringing in players, do you know what sort of shape you’re in?

We are well clear of FFP but we don't spend a lot so that's to be expected.

We pocketed 10M on Stewart and rumoured to have got about 4M for Lihadji who went to Qatar, both deals late in the summer window so we really need some quality this window.

Couple of big, athletic and experienced central mids plus a 15-20 goals a season striker, and they'll be a good outfit ready to knock on the promotion doors. They need to spend £30m though, and doubt they'd be doing it unless they sell. 

9 hours ago, Jonas said:

I've got the 89/90 90/91 91/92 Barclay's Directories handy just cos its easier to referece than online resources.

Everyone of them has their nickname as 'the Rockerites" and its not just picking one nickname because Ipswich are town as "Town" and "the Blues"

My Dad tells some yarn that the black cats thing comes from a tour of America they did decades ago and they Americanised the name to spice it up.

Don't know anything about the Napoleonic reference but old pictures show they didn't have black anywhere on their old kits so it seems weird to adopt it all of a sudden late in the day but very them to tailor their kit to suit some name given to them that has no meaning whatsoever.

Toon Army and Tractor Boys were self annointed but are unofficial and have some relevance to the areas/clubs.

They chose black cats because cats eat birds and we are the magpies. Everything they do revolves around us. 

2 hours ago, TeddySAFC said:

Could also apply that scenario about promotion to NUFC and Champions League

Be years before we could genuinely compete with the CL regulars, but we’d still rather be in it and pocketing the cash whilst building a stronger squad and learning from any CL experiences

10 hours ago, Jonas said:

I've got the 89/90 90/91 91/92 Barclay's Directories handy just cos its easier to referece than online resources.

Everyone of them has their nickname as 'the Rockerites" and its not just picking one nickname because Ipswich are town as "Town" and "the Blues"

My Dad tells some yarn that the black cats thing comes from a tour of America they did decades ago and they Americanised the name to spice it up.

Don't know anything about the Napoleonic reference but old pictures show they didn't have black anywhere on their old kits so it seems weird to adopt it all of a sudden late in the day but very them to tailor their kit to suit some name given to them that has no meaning whatsoever.

Toon Army and Tractor Boys were self annointed but are unofficial and have some relevance to the areas/clubs.

Vague memory that they changed to Black Cats when the SoL opened as they were moving from Roker so couldn't be Rokerites any longer... Sure it was mentioned on Look North or the ITV equivalent because the presenter got abuse for suggesting Mackems as a nickname :D No clue where Black Cats came from to be even mentioned though to the initial link could well have been that tour you mention

The similarities to Mike Ashley continue

But the decline of the Stadium of Light has continued. The North Stand roof leaks, very few hand dryers in the toilets work and the whole place is in need of a spruce (and that’s before you get to the lack of functioning screens and intermittent wifi in the press-box). What should be an asset has begun to look shabby.

Jonathan Wilson

18 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

RTG has gone more mental than ever after saturday :lol:

The last seven days has completely broken them. Total humiliation on and off the pitch.