sunderland

Big River

It’s always been the case for them.

Murray was the best owner they could have asked for. He took them from being nothing team who managed to fluke a cup win in the early 70’s, to a Premier League team with a 49k capacity brand new stadium.

He shot his bow too high and ultimately they came back down, and the fans wanted him gone. Quinn took over and they loved him, but as soon as an American who may have had more money than him came along, they were happy to depart from him. Soon enough they realised that he had also shot his bow too high, but worse he had realised as well, and the money dried up. Along came them chancers, and they believed there was money to had off them, they quickly realised that they were chancers and the money to be had, was from them. On to the trust fund boy, now they have realised that he doesn’t have all of daddies money, and he won’t spend all of what he is allowed to spend on them, so they have been wanting him out for a little while.

They just won’t want to spend their money on the club, I have said it before but there has been questions asked of their fans if they won the Euro’s would they buy the club. Bear in mind we are talking about a 25% cost to winnings here. The vast majority said they wouldn’t.

The ticket sales show that largely they are not selling tickets, and when they do it is of a lower price than similar clubs due to how many they have to give away for free or via a promotion.

Now by and large, I’m not having a go at them for giving away tickets to the right causes, although I think they overstretch with the determining factors.

I think most clubs, certainly those in the Premier League, and Championship should be giving away a % of tickets to worthy causes. For us, a 1% allocation would equate to 520 tickets per match, which is rather generous to be honest.

I know a couple of their fans, sound guys, in fact most people in Sunderland are, and are nothing like the RTG’s, although the debate is open considering the election results over the last 8 years in Sunderland. However 1 of them doesn’t bother going to matches much now, just the odd game here and there. The other the last I knew was a season ticket holder. But others who I come across who claim to be big fans just are not turning up to their games.

Part of me thinks there is potential at Sunderland for bigger crowds, and more support, but then if we kick on and becomes successful, I think the outer areas of Sunderland and the crossover areas will really suffer with fans drifting to us.

I don’t think there is a mega billionaire owner for them. They have had 4 takeovers in the last 20 years or so, and in that time the club has always been for sale, even if it’s not been on the open market. Anyone buying a club now with the wealth similar to us are not buying Sunderland, too close for catchments areas, and you have other options available like Everton, and West Ham, as well as the possibility to buy into or launch mega takeovers for the likes of Spurs, or Liverpool.

If you were a billionaire and had the money to buy a club that you could take to the next level with investment including potentially a new stadium, who are you choosing?

Everton: Could be bought on the cheap, new stadium being built for over 50k supporters, has a decent supporter base despite Liverpool being on their doorstep.

West Ham: One of the last sleeping giant clubs. A proven fanbase who follow them, could buy their stadium for next to nothing and turn it into a dedicated football stadium.

Sheffield Wednesday: A forgotten fallen giant, needs a new owner, needs a new stadium, supporter base is probably one of the best and constantly sells out. Has that supporter base and the potential to attract more despite sharing their city with Sheffield United.

Derby: An overlooked option, but their supporter base is admirable, frequently gets some of the highest turnouts, despite being well and truly fucking shit for 20-25 years.

Sunderland: Sell outs 1 game every few years after a drive for records to be broke by owners, and tickets being sold cheaply, and given away. Average ticket price is £10 because of the discounted tickets. Has the worlds richest sports club on their doorstep who have the open ambition to be the best club in the World.

TBF Sunderland has a potentially huge catchment area, as much as I hate to say it the North East needs at least two EPL teams, the exposure is massive for local business

On 25/07/2024 at 16:11, The Prophet said:

There was a lad in Westerhope ASDA today with the new Sunderland top on. I didn't threaten him or take the piss, in fact we just went about our business.

1 hour ago, Ben said:

TBF Sunderland has a potentially huge catchment area, as much as I hate to say it the North East needs at least two EPL teams, the exposure is massive for local business

The North East doesn't NEED 2 PL teams at all though. I'm happy to see them languish in what has been their rightful position for the past half century.

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Don’t think so marra North Sea and Durham Mags.

This is why Mags are being cleansed in public places from Seaburn to Penshaw by massive lads fans.

Edited by Whitley mag

1 hour ago, madras said:

There was a lad in Westerhope ASDA today with the new Sunderland top on. I didn't threaten him or take the piss, in fact we just went about our business.

You mean loads of gravy stained mags bottled it against a MLF who did a bit of shopping after playing 5 a side?

1 hour ago, madras said:

Sounds to me like the MLFs took Westerhope and you just stood idly by and let it happen.

You should watch your letterbox.

38 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

The North East doesn't NEED 2 PL teams at all though. I'm happy to see them languish in what has been their rightful position for the past half century.

Nar, totally disagree, good football is good for North East investment 

10 hours ago, Ben said:

Nar, totally disagree, good football is good for North East investment 

What investment did they get when they spent 10 successive seasons in the PL not so long ago then?

They're small time wankers. When we spent 1 season down there and they were PL they spent all their time lording it over us rather than actually concentrating on maintaining their position. Fucking hell man they even put up posters in Ponteland (sic) Airport saying if you wanted to watch PL football you'd need to go to Sunderland.

Hope they continue to wallow in lower League obscurity for years to come. It's where they belong.

10 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

What investment did they get when they spent 10 successive seasons in the PL not so long ago then?

They're small time wankers. When we spent 1 season down there and they were PL they spent all their time lording it over us rather than actually concentrating on maintaining their position. Fucking hell man they even put up posters in Ponteland (sic) Airport saying if you wanted to watch PL football you'd need to go to Sunderland.

Hope they continue to wallow in lower League obscurity for years to come. It's where they belong.

They had a thread called “Non-league Football” and included The Championship in it.

13 hours ago, Stifler said:

Murray was the best owner they could have asked for

Murray was a decent owner for them, but his ambition was to have 1 more seat than Newcastle.  Not to be the better team, not to win things, not to play in Europe.  Just to have 1 more seat than their rivals.

That's been their problem for pretty much my entire lifetime.  They view everything through a lens of how it relates to us.  When we were getting relegated and they were above us, they didn't care that they were also circling the drain and would eventually plummet out of the top flight, they were simply happy to be above us.  If they ever want to be a successful club they need to forget about their fixation about Newcastle.

Just now, ikri said:

Murray was a decent owner for them, but his ambition was to have 1 more seat than Newcastle.  Not to be the better team, not to win things, not to play in Europe.  Just to have 1 more seat than their rivals.

That's been their problem for pretty much my entire lifetime.  They view everything through a lens of how it relates to us.  When we were getting relegated and they were above us, they didn't care that they were also circling the drain and would eventually plummet out of the top flight, they were simply happy to be above us.  If they ever want to be a successful club they need to forget about their fixation about Newcastle.

I think Murray was the best kind of owner they could hope for (well, would have been better with deeper pockets) and I’m certain he did want those indicators/benefits of success. I do think though that he was sucked into the compare and despair low self-esteem of the area in an unhealthy way. 

18 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

I meant investment in the area, exposure is very important and having more than one team in the EPL is good for the North East as a whole. Personally I love debys and I'd much rather have those than the likes of Bournemouth or Wigan with less than 10,000 fans attending

12 hours ago, madras said:

You didn't square up to him and then the whole of ASDA started applauding whilst singing toon toon black and white army towards you?

12 hours ago, madras said:

My brother and two uncles are Sunderland fans and they’re sound, I treat them like family.

15 minutes ago, Ben said:

I meant investment in the area, exposure is very important and having more than one team in the EPL is good for the North East as a whole. Personally I love debys and I'd much rather have those than the likes of Bournemouth or Wigan with less than 10,000 fans attending

Again I'll ask the question. They had 10 successive seasons in the PL and what investment into their area did that bring them? What benefits did they see as a city from it?

Just now, Wallsendmag said:

Again I'll ask the question. They had 10 successive seasons in the PL and what investment into their area did that bring them? What benefits did they see as a city from it?

Well they probably genuinely had 40 odd thousand people buying crisps and pasties every other week. 

3 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Well they probably genuinely had 40 odd thousand people buying crisps and pasties every other week. 

Not sure how that benefits the wider NE area mind, and judging by the amount of empty crisp packets swirling around the SoL pitch last season on windy days I still think they do very well on the crisp sales front despite their lower league status.