Newcastle United 1-0 Crystal Palace (20/04/2022)

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

What's wrong with Zaha? I like him as a footballer but he seems incredibly fragile as a person. 

He's a stroppy, sensitive ego maniac, that thinks no one should be allowed to tackle him so he can do as many tricks as possible and saunter his way to goal. Cannot believe there are people on here that would want us to sign him. He has the worst body language and attitude on the pitch in the whole league. He is horrendous. 

Best thing about last night was the shithousery. Rattled them to fuck. I thought the ref let us get on with it, to some degree, but it worked. 

Culminated in Migi turning into Bruno's minder just before the goal then all Ketsbia when he notched. 

Buzzin.

12 hours ago, Dr Venkman said:

This criticism of Wood is harsh IMO, he never stops pressing. He's not got the greatest touch/finish but I can't understand criticism of his work rate, he's all over the pitch leading the press.

Disagree with this - I watched him for about 10 minutes in the second half he hardly moves - also just heads it and flicks it on to no one half the time even when people are available - needs upgrading but can’t fault he’s trying 

34 minutes ago, KaKa said:

He's a stroppy, sensitive ego maniac, that thinks no one should be allowed to tackle him so he can do as many tricks as possible and saunter his way to goal. Cannot believe there are people on here that would want us to sign him. He has the worst body language and attitude on the pitch in the whole league. He is horrendous. 

Been this way for yonks too, the figures being touted around a few years ago for him was mental. He won't ever get a big move now. I think he's one of the most overrated players in the Prem tbh.

38 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Genuinely thought someone was talking about asm here ?

39 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Bruno F just about tops him for stinking attitude in my opinion.

1 hour ago, tgarve said:

Disagree with this - I watched him for about 10 minutes in the second half he hardly moves - also just heads it and flicks it on to no one half the time even when people are available - needs upgrading but can’t fault he’s trying 

This is bollocks. Did a huge amount of pressing. 

2 minutes ago, magorific said:

This is bollocks. Did a huge amount of pressing. 

He didn’t do much in the second half ( may have been knackered / instructed not to also mind ) he’s a poor player anyhow very little attacking movement - can’t wait for Wilson to be back 

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Bruno definetly brings out the best in Almiron. He finally has someone who can put him in when he runs off the shoulder.

I've thought this in the last couple of games. Almiron and Bruno seem to have a decent understanding and enjoy playing together. Could be the South American thing, I think Almiron, Bruno and Big Jo are often pictured together.

45 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

He’s a lot of the reason we were penned in, the ball literally bounces off him. I don’t deny he works hard, he really does, but his hold up play is below championship level, it truly is. 

Some people’s defence of him is so weird. He’s been an atrocious signing and he was always going to be.

Dunno what it is about Zaha, but the way he goes on doesn't bother me in the slightest. He whinges a bit, but he's hardly unique in being like that, and having an opposition player you can wind up and get under the skin of is a good thing (see Pickford). I've always found the dislike for him a bit OTT.

4 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Some people’s defence of him is so weird. He’s been an atrocious signing and he was always going to be.

He's extremely limited, but he's played his part. He scored a couple of important goals and grafts his balls off out of possession.

I think it was evident, even at the time that we'd overpaid for him. I find it even more bizarre that fans constantly dig him out. He's part of a side that's taken the second largest amount of points in the league in 2022. He's not set the world alight and criticism is fine, but the criticism isn't vaguely interesting or insightful, it's just the same shit over and over again since the day he signed, including digs at fellow fans who have something positive to say about him. 

He won't be in the side next season, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

What I don't get is that there's this acceptance that yes he works hard, but then I'm not sure it's ever considered that his work ethic or the way in which he works hard, might be something that's fairly unique to him. 

I'm by no means an effort over talent sort of person, but Wood really does properly, relentlessly work his arse off like. It's not just a fall-back excuse, he does it better and for longer than what I'm used to seeing. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

His being on the pitch as an option to bypass midfield and allow others to play off him has clearly been a fundamental part of our run of form since he signed. I think that Andy Carroll could probably have done that just as well, if not better, if he could stay fit, so for the money he has been a terrible signing but what he has contributed to is worth every penny even if he never plays again after this season. 

42 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I personally don’t beleive it’s unique to him, no. And my argument is that you could find a championship striker willing to graft their dick off that might be able to hold the ball up. Some of wood’s touches blow my mind for PL level. 

That's also (when we signed him) a 1 in 3 PL goalscorer?

34 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

His being on the pitch as an option to bypass midfield and allow others to play off him has clearly been a fundamental part of our run of form since he signed. I think that Andy Carroll could probably have done that just as well, if not better, if he could stay fit, so for the money he has been a terrible signing but what he has contributed to is worth every penny even if he never plays again after this season. 

This is not true at all.

52 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

No but I would hope the scouts looked at the context of the goals and how they were scored, plus the fact he would be playing as a lone striker, and had scored one goal all season, and zero assists.

Do you think it's possible that Wood has done the job our scouts and Howe had hoped he would? 

Guest HTT II
Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Do you think it's possible that Wood has done the job our scouts and Howe had hoped he would? 

I personally think he has, and I say that recognising he’s a very average and even at times poor striker at this level. I do believe he was also bought with half an eye on being a Championship side next season. Regardless of what you think of him right now, he would get 15 + goals in the Championship easily. People need to watch him off the ball, how he chases down every man, wherever he is on the pitch, and every ball played to him or towards him or towards areas he can get at. You can’t put a price on that kind of work ethic and dynamic and how that effects the team and opposition. If he was quicker and had a better touch he’d be world-class. I still maintain the lad can finish. He doesn’t get much service either!