Pre-season (2023/24)

bowlingcrofty

Just now, STM said:

A couple of other points:

We went toe to toe with a very decent European club and matched them all over, without playing our strongest 11 at any point.

I love how nasty we are. We have become that horrible side that argues on the touchline and roughs up opponents. Nobody who plays us gets a free ride.

It felt like a European night. Shite refs, diving players, red cards, goals. Looking forward to the real McCoy.

All of this.

What a trajectory the clubs been on in the past 12 months man.

Football lasts 90minutes though not 89.

I agree with the points being made on bith sides FWIW. I think, I tend to find that on forums or social media people pigeon hole comments and ideas into a simplified debate eg criticism must mean he/she thinks he's shit. That's not the case or at least not always. Most people just see potential flaws and are mentioning them. It's like if you say someone is overrated - people think you're saying they're shit.

3 minutes ago, STM said:

A couple of other points:

We went toe to toe with a very decent European club and matched them all over, without playing our strongest 11 at any point.

I love how nasty we are. We have become that horrible side that argues on the touchline and roughs up opponents. Nobody who plays us gets a free ride.

It felt like a European night. Shite refs, diving players, red cards, goals. Looking forward to the real McCoy.

Absolutely this. 

7 minutes ago, Howeay said:

He is better than Lascelles but that isn't saying much, it would be nice to have better back up or competition for Schar but i appreciate we can only do so much in each window.

He did his part to keep us up but he isn't good enough really moving forward.

Burn miles better than Lascelles in every area, he just needs to cut out the daft rush of blood he seems to get once per match. Even with that he's miles better than Lascelles who is shite 99% of the time as opposed Burn's 1% rush of blood moments.

Edited by Jackie Broon

22 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Burn miles better than Lascelles in every area, he just need to cut out the daft rush of blood he seems to get once per match. Even with that he's miles better than Lascelles who is shite 99% of the time as opposed Burn's 1% rush of blood moments.

I agree but being miles better than Lascelles doesn't mean much, he is fucking awful.

32 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Enjoyed that! Was more like a Europa qualifier, their free kick, can’t complain, first goal, Lascelles.. just terrible positioning and mistiming the jump. Hopefully he won’t play much.

I think it’s going to be fair to say our strongest midfield will be Bruno, Joelinton and Shelvey but Willock looks sharp as well, ideally be great if someone else came in there to give us something different.

Almiron looks confident which bodes well but we need more down that side.

We need another striker, I think assuming Wilson will carry the burden could backfire massively.

Maxi had a better game for what we saw of him. He’s the strongest option at forward left we have. Anderson should be his backup there, whatever position he played at during the first half didn’t do him any favours but can obviously mix it at this level.

He was on his man. Trippier didn't mark his and he tried to come over to help. Come on man.

We just look so much fitter than I’ve ever seen us at this point in a preseason. Like a professional outfit. We will have ups and downs as we continue to grow from the withered husk of a club we were to the monster we will eventually become, but it’s nice to know that we are professionally handled from top to bottom. Our failings will be from individual mistakes, perhaps not having enough quality to deal with truly top teams, but they won’t be because we can’t keep up physically with any decent side that challenges us. 

And as we add more quality to the squad, the overall level will rise, it’s a virtuous circle that will serve us well. Very optimistic even with the late concession, that was a quality match and we were never with our best XI on the pitch, still played solidly. 

20 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

FFS, he literally shored up the defence and stopped us getting relegated. 

Yes i did give him credit for that, doesn't mean i have to think he is good enough to take us to the next level.

1 minute ago, Memphis said:

We just look so much fitter than I’ve ever seen us at this point in a preseason. Like a professional outfit. We will have ups and downs as we continue to grow from the withered husk of a club we were to the monster we will eventually become, but it’s nice to know that we are professionally handled from top to bottom. Our failings will be from individual mistakes, perhaps not having enough quality to deal with truly top teams, but they won’t be because we can’t keep up physically with any decent side that challenges us. 

And as we add more quality to the squad, the overall level will rise, it’s a virtuous circle that will serve us well. Very optimistic even with the late concession, that was a quality match and we were never with our best XI on the pitch, still played solidly. 

...against CL opposition... 

21 minutes ago, Heron said:

You REALLY need to fucking chill :lol: have a pint or a wank or sumit. 

I'm just joking around, think it may be you who needs to chill.

I'm sure we are all looking forward to him leaving the club.

"Mike Ashley is a nice guy"

26 minutes ago, Howeay said:

Opinions, he was at fault for a lot of goals last season, i just don't rate him.

21 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I like him, but he made a few individual errors last season. I gave him a pass for Chelsea's goal as it was a sublime touch and finish, but he also came charging out of defence leading to the Everton winner. Happened a couple of other times too, but he got away with it.

I'm not taking away the immense amount of positives he brought, such a leadership, solidity and a bit of composure on the ball, but he does have a concentration issue.

He's a very aggressive defender, it's always easy to remember the few times it cost us, but no one is taking note of the numerous times he did the same thing and won or cleared the ball.

His defending won us far more points than it cost us. Weren't we one of the better defences in the league from January onwards? And he was clearly the main catalyst.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

He's a very aggressive defender, it's always easy to remember the few times it cost us, but no one is taking note of the numerous times he did the same thing and won or cleared the ball.

His defending won us far more points than it cost us. Weren't we one of the better defences in the league from January onwards? And he was clearly the main catalyst.

Again, I like him and he brought a large amount of positives to the side, but he switches off at times. 

I'm not saying that he's shit or that he doesn't deserve credit for last season, just that he has a concentration issue.

3 minutes ago, madras said:

Is it significant that the two Portuguese (all be it Brazilian Portuguese) speakers are the two who seemed to lose it tonight ?

I think Bruno struggled because the midfield was so poor first half. I think Joe is trying a bit too hard. It'll be fine. I do think we actually need another CM now though along with a striker and a winger. I don't think we'll get all 3. I think we'll get 2.

4 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

I think Bruno struggled because the midfield was so poor first half. I think Joe is trying a bit too hard. It'll be fine. I do think we actually need another CM now though along with a striker and a winger. I don't think we'll get all 3. I think we'll get 2.

I was more wondering if there'd been some heavy sledging going on.