Pre-season (2023/24)

bowlingcrofty

Guest reefatoon
3 minutes ago, 54 said:

How do we reckon this is going to be structured? A weakened team today with a lot of the squad players, with the "first" 11 playing tomorrow? Or do we think it'll be a mix again?

I think we will carry on like all the other friendlies and have two teams playing 45 mins each. Then do the same on the Saturday.

Without poring over the starting line-ups and subs, there seems to have broadly been two teams featuring over pre-season, with a sprinkling of youngsters. You'd wonder if he might play each of the two teams and give them closer to ninety minutes straight. 

31 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Without poring over the starting line-ups and subs, there seems to have broadly been two teams featuring over pre-season, with a sprinkling of youngsters. You'd wonder if he might play each of the two teams and give them closer to ninety minutes straight. 

We need to play at least 1 game with our starting lineup though. 

35 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

I'd be massively suprised if it's not a mixture. If not only because it would seem a little unfair on people only going to watch one of the games if it was basically the u23s today and full 1st team in the other.

Also, I'm fairly certain Howe won't be playing what could be considered his starting 11 for Forrest, he'll not want to give anything away just yet. 

I don't think Eddie Howe comes across as the sort of bloke who'd pick a team for a friendly this close to the season with that in mind [emoji38]

2 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I don't think Eddie Howe comes across as the sort of bloke who'd pick a team for a friendly this close to the season with that in mind [emoji38]

Would be nice to see the first choice midfield and attack play together to an extent though. Haven't seen that once yet

2 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

As much as I agree I do think he’ll feel a certain responsibility to put out a strong mix of players for a 40K+ paying public. He’s in effect only got they 2 games to decide who starts against Forest. He’s not going to waste one of them playing a shadow squad for 90mins.

17 minutes ago, LFEE said:

As much as I agree I do think he’ll feel a certain responsibility to put out a strong mix of players for a 40K+ paying public. He’s in effect only got they 2 games to decide who starts against Forest. He’s not going to waste one of them playing a shadow squad for 90mins.

Surely we all want us to be 100% focussed on winning league games.

1 hour ago, reefatoon said:

I think we will carry on like all the other friendlies and have two teams playing 45 mins each. Then do the same on the Saturday.

I think it would be a mix, don't think he will have players playing two days in a row even if it is just 45 mins each game.

Yeah I don't think anyone has done 90 mins in any of the friendlies so far so u might think 2 line ups would likely be give a full game each. Then a sprinkling of youngsters on the bench incase of any injuries.

Guest reefatoon
21 minutes ago, Geordie Magpie said:

I think it would be a mix, don't think he will have players playing two days in a row even if it is just 45 mins each game.

It would only be 45 mins for each player per day. 90 mins over 2 days is fine.

Suppose the biggest question is how we rotate the midfield tonight with Joe and Jonjo out.

Leaves us with Bruno, Longstaff, Shortstaff and Willock to try and fill 6 positions if we're doing 45mins each. maybe add Miggy in there too. 

Might be worth giving the midfield 90mins each and the rest of the team 45. Then Joelinton can come back in tomorrow.

If one of the teams is the 11 for forest it'll have to be tommorow with Joelinton out tonight. Personally I'd go for Willock as the last of the midfield 3 at the minute. He looked really sharp while Longstaff looked off the pace

1 hour ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I disagree, he will have had the final say on when these friendlies took place. So had he wanted to have a game wherein he would play his potential Forrest starting 11 there's no reason he would've chosen to have 2 games in 2 days, it wouldn't make sense to do that.

Bilbao will be our strongest 11 i think, or just about.

Howe often talks about getting used to environments, same day and kick off time as Forest, both huge crowds etc.

Edited by Howeay

6 minutes ago, Papavasiliou said:

Suppose the biggest question is how we rotate the midfield tonight with Joe and Jonjo out.

Leaves us with Bruno, Longstaff, Shortstaff and Willock to try and fill 6 positions if we're doing 45mins each. maybe add Miggy in there too. 

Might be worth giving the midfield 90mins each and the rest of the team 45. Then Joelinton can come back in tomorrow.

Add Anderson into that equation as well. Joelinton will obviously start Saturday no question.

Today perhaps Bruno, Longstaff and Anderson. That gives a bit of everything in the middle with Anderson being allowed further forward. Tomorrow could see, Willock, Joelinton and Shortsaff potentially unless Howe brings an u23 into the lineup.

Or ofcourse there's the possibility he'll mix it up and give some players 45mins today and then 45mins tomorrow so could conceivably be anything if he does that.

27 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

I disagree, he will have had the final say on when these friendlies took place. So had he wanted to have a game wherein he would play his potential Forrest starting 11 there's no reason he would've chosen to have 2 games in 2 days, it wouldn't make sense to do that.

So you think there could be a scenario where Howe thinks "You know what, I really want Bondswell to play tonight as it will benefit the squad in the build up to the Forest game, but it's not fair on the 40k crowd if we pick him."

Fucking hell [emoji38]

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

So you think there could be a scenario where Howe thinks "You know what, I really want Bondswell to play tonight as it will benefit the squad in the build up to the Forest game, but it's not fair on the 40k crowd if we pick him."

Fucking hell [emoji38]

No that's not at all what I'm saying.

I'm saying it WILL be a mixed starting 11 and bench. So Bondswell may well play if that's what Howe wants. I'm suggesting that as this is all pre planned a while ago, theres no reason to play 2 games in 2 days if one of them is going to be a u23 game in all but name.

Guest reefatoon

Yeah really looking forward to kick off. For pre season it's been entertaining, with some real solid displays.