Pre-season (2023/24)

bowlingcrofty

As someone who knows very little about the geography of the US, what's the travel time like / time zone difference if any between those three games?

Only asking as I seem to remember that pre-season under McClaren was a disaster as we spent too long jetting around and travelling and not enough time training and recovering properly etc.

Of course I trust that nowadays Howe and people who've proven to know what they're doing will balance the commercial benefit of this trip with ensuring it doesn't disrupt prep for the big kick off, but still wanted to ask the question...

2 minutes ago, Pilko said:

As someone who knows very little about the geography of the US, what's the travel time like / time zone difference if any between those three games?

Only asking as I seem to remember that pre-season under McClaren was a disaster as we spent too long jetting around and travelling and not enough time training and recovering properly etc.

Of course I trust that nowadays Howe and people who've proven to know what they're doing will balance the commercial benefit of this trip with ensuring it doesn't disrupt prep for the big kick off, but still wanted to ask the question...

Same time zone. Longest flight would be like two hours max. 

1 minute ago, Pilko said:

The whole thing, including non-Newcastle, is in the eastern time zone. I'm guessing this was a request of the clubs involved. Newcastle does have a decent amount of travel since it's Philly > Atlanta > back up to NJ (not far from Philly). But no time changes other than to/from the UK.

2 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

The whole thing, including non-Newcastle, is in the eastern time zone. I'm guessing this was a request of the clubs involved. Newcastle does have a decent amount of travel since it's Philly > Atlanta > back up to NJ (not far from Philly). But no time changes other than to/from the UK.

Roughly speaking it's like playing in Newcastle then Zurich then Edinburgh in the span of six days. 

37 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Yep. PL ‘official’ USA tour (“Summer Series”) - Masters was bleating about it earlier I think. Replaces the old Asian trophy thing that was every other year. For what it’s worth, Man Utd and Arsenal are also in the USA but doing their own thing.

Ah, thanks, that makes sense.

Before the PL was the best league in the world, it was definitely the best marketed one, and that's not changed since then.

7 minutes ago, toon25 said:

I preferred when we were playing the likes of the mighty York City on a school playing field tbh.

We play at Walsall every year and have done for yonks now, and let them keep all the gate money. I hope that doesn't get binned because of this.

5 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

I seriously want to go to my son's school and pull him out of class to tell him. Can't wait until he gets home.

Going to Philly and NJ for sure, any trainings, and stalking hotels. Let's go.

Update: he's home and he's working on a sign that says "I want to marry Bruno."

I think we've got the best set of fixtures that we could have. It looks like the 'big 6' bar Chelsea turned it down, or they weren't asked as the organisers didn't expect them to participate, and the likes of Leeds (confirmed), West Ham, Everton etc. would have likely been avoided due to uncertainty about their PL status, but travelling 1000s of miles to have games against Fulham and Brentford would have felt a bit underwhelming IMO, and probably wouldn't have done too much to enhance the profile, which will be high up on the list of intentions for the trip.

14 minutes ago, Paullow said:

I think we've got the best set of fixtures that we could have. It looks like the 'big 6' bar Chelsea turned it down, or they weren't asked as the organisers didn't expect them to participate, and the likes of Leeds (confirmed), West Ham, Everton etc. would have likely been avoided due to uncertainty about their PL status, but travelling 1000s of miles to have games against Fulham and Brentford would have felt a bit underwhelming IMO, and probably wouldn't have done too much to enhance the profile, which will be high up on the list of intentions for the trip.

Playing Chelsea in Atlanta has Eales written all over it. 

Apologies if this has been covered by why is the premier league organising the tournament?  Are clubs obliged to play in this premier league friendly cup ever so often?  

Football wise I think playing league opposition in friendlies is a bad idea. Commercially maybe the premier league label brings more revenue but are they taking a cut?

1 hour ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

Apologies if this has been covered by why is the premier league organising the tournament?  Are clubs obliged to play in this premier league friendly cup ever so often?  

Football wise I think playing league opposition in friendlies is a bad idea. Commercially maybe the premier league label brings more revenue but are they taking a cut?

As far as I can tell they’ve organized the whole thing so they are certainly taking a cut. NBC involved as the broadcast partner. I suspect if this goes well it will be a regular thing.

I understand why our American fans would like this but hearing about a premier league summer series in America made me be sick in my mouth a little bit. Probably no worse than any other complaint about modern football I suppose though

19 minutes ago, NE28 said:

I understand why our American fans would like this but hearing about a premier league summer series in America made me be sick in my mouth a little bit. Probably no worse than any other complaint about modern football I suppose though

I'm not sure Fulham vs Brentford is as appealing to the American audience as you might think :lol: It's mostly just a case that we'll take anything they'll give us.

I'm sure Real Madrid vs THE TOON and other such powerhouse match-ups would be far more palatable, but the Premier League is obviously footing some of the bill/administrative overhead for this, in exchange for building the brand.

8 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

but the Premier League is obviously footing some of the bill/administrative overhead for this, in exchange for building the brand.

Yeah I think that’s the bit that is a little bit sickening. Feels like the first quarter of a step to just playing premier league games over there or wherever the brand needs building

3 minutes ago, NE28 said:

Yeah I think that’s the bit that is a little bit sickening. Feels like the first quarter of a step to just playing premier league games over there or wherever the brand needs building

Aye it's not exactly magical is it. Giving me flashbacks to waiting in a queue for 2.5 hrs to try and watch the match at the PL FAN FEST last year. Bleugh.

But then again think back to what we had the last time they came over to the US. Absolute shitshow.

20 minutes ago, Exiled in Texas said:

Hotel in Atlanta booked

Holding off on flights until tickets go on sale.

Could have stayed in Texas and seen the mIghty Mackems in San Antonio :mackems:

In Austin, Texas right now visiting family. Just had a beer or 3 with my cousin who is very excited about the Toon coming to the East Coast. 

5 minutes ago, JLC said:

In Austin, Texas right now visiting family. Just had a beer or 3 with my cousin who is very excited about the Toon coming to the East Coast. 

Ask them to take you to Rainey St.   Highly recommend Bangers (Biergarten) and get the Man-Mosa.

The three stadiums Newcastle will play, which includes two of the 2026 World Cup venues:

Lincoln Financial Field, home of the NFL's Philadelphia Eagles (capacity ~67,000)

V5G2UR7T7JFXLPDSC7DPXKTFMU.JPG

Mercedes Benz Stadium, home of the NFL's Atlanta Falcons and MLS's Atlanta United FC (Capacity: ~71,000)

mbs21950.jpg

Retractable roof:

maxresdefault.jpg

Red Bull Arena, home of the MLS's New York Red Bulls (Capacity: 25,000)

tbsxn4yekkc1mgzcnjvc.jpg