Pre-season (2023/24)

bowlingcrofty

Just looking at the pre season line up of games and there's some gap the between Brighton game and the start of the season, a whole weekend in fact. I wouldn't be surprised if there's another game in there, quite possibly a home game like last season.

Edited by madras

Just now, madras said:

Just looking at the pre season line up of games and there's some gap the between Brighton game and the start of the season, a whole weekend in fact. I wouldn't be surprised if theirs another game in there, quite possibly a home game like last season.

We normally have one the weekend before the season starts. Could see an away game to a CL level European team or Saudi in there. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Just seen the first post. Probably a home game or double header again. 

A bit crap we play two of the first four teams in the league in the USA too. :lol:

Yeah, I'd take nothing from those friendlies as a guide to the league games but I do like friendlies against teams you don't normally come up against.

5 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

The likes of Sunderland n that 😉

I was at the last Sunderland friendlies, 1981 I think, home and away over 4 days....... who thought that was a good idea, fuck me, Roker Sea front was like an Andy Capp fight, a moving cloud of dust with limbs sticking out.

Edit.... just checked and aye it was 81 and crowds of just under 10,000 and just over 10,000.

Edited by madras

6 minutes ago, madras said:

I was at the last Sunderland friendlies, 1981 I think, home and away over 4 days....... who thought that was a good idea, fuck me, Roker Sea front was like an Andy Capp fight, a moving cloud of dust with limbs sticking out.

Edit.... just checked and aye it was 81 and crowds of just under 10,000 and just over 10,000.

Should have a Top Dog's Cup tournament every year. Berwick, Carlisle, Gateshead and Sunderland play off to meet either us or Boro in the semi finals 😉

Plod on double bubble, obvs

Edited by Groundhog63

9 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Septics would fill a 100k stadium to watch a game of High School Tiddlywinks tbf. 

Only in a couple batshit crazy parts of the country tbf. 

The Red Bulls have one of the worst avg. attendance in MLS and there are two Gold Cup matches there within the next two weeks that aren't sold out yet. Filling that stadium a month out for a game that doesn't involve any of the "big 6" is impressive.

https://www.nufc.co.uk/matches/first-team/2023-24/rangers-vs-newcastle-united/?tab=tickets

Absolutely delighted to see the Toon have sold out the allocation (and not surprised in the slightest) for Allan McGregor's testimonial game next month

I can remember Newcastle came up for Super's testimonial in 1993, they'd just been promoted to the Premiership and filled the bottom of the Broomloan Stand with one of the biggest flags I'd ever seen, the 92/93 1st division flag 

The support was fantastic and I've been a fan since then, I also have family in the Toon as well

Another great away support for the Ibrox Cup in 1994 and both sets of supporters shared a mutual hatred of Man U during that which was most enjoyable! Ruel Fox scored an absolutely beauty past Rudolph Schmeichel in goals that day too, was a top few days football

I was also at the Gateshead Cup in 2004 and it was a fantastic weekend, we were speaking to some Geordies in the Bigg Market on the Saturday night and they told us that we were the best away support they'd ever seen at St James' and one of the lads said he was whistling the 'bouncy bouncy' on the way home from the game on the Metro!

Edited by ScottyRFC

Any rumours of a match or matches to be played the weekend before the season starts?

Played Atalanta on the Friday night and Bilbao on the Saturday last season.

Edited by Magpie

1 hour ago, Hovagod said:

What’s happening with the actual tickets? Do we all just choose a seat we fancy when inside the ground?

That’s usually how it works at the Heed

7 hours ago, pormag said:

Is it likely we will have a home game the weekend before the first game of the season?

Sorry, same question two posts up.

Would have thought so. Can’t see us going two weeks between our last friendly and first game of the season.

4 minutes ago, SteV said:

Would have thought so. Can’t see us going two weeks between our last friendly and first game of the season.

Hopefully we have 2 friendlies again. 1 on the Friday night and 1 on the Saturday afternoon.