Pre-season (2024/25)

bowlingcrofty

In the game against Spurs when we put our youngsters on and they put theirs on. They were in charge of the game, although they never tested us, it was them with the better ability.

This game as well just shows that our academy prospects are just nowhere near where we need them to be, and maybe aside from 1 or 2 who sneak through, none of them are going to make. It’s the result of having an academy for years that is there to say we have one, without ever putting anything in to it, and that predates Ashley.

Just now, r0cafella said:

Not with related party transaction rules in place it isn’t. 

In that case, we shouldn't have been in a position where we needed this fixture to exist in order to fix FFP

Just now, Andy said:

In that case, we shouldn't have been in a position where we needed this fixture to exist in order to fix FFP

That’s difficult unfortunately, it basically means you don’t have either Tonali Barnes or Tino. I’m still perplexed we don’t have curtain sponsors mind. 

Posted (edited)

Just seen the goals. Dear me… some woeful defending and goalkeeping. 
Guess we would have made more of a fist of it with soccer sevens team involved. Are they the pick of the youngsters? Did anyone have a decent game? 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Does anyone even care?

If i had paid for the required 2 more nights accommodation, ticket price, plus the increase cost of weekend flights home, I'd be pissed off being served up that team and performance. I'm grateful that I only stayed for spurs so I've great memories.

There's going to be a fair few that stuck around the extra days and will feel justifiably ripped off.

Older members may recall Newcastle’s most controversial tour ever after the end of the 1928/29 season which included an 8-1 defeat against Bratislava. Later in the same tour the Hungarian FA refused to hand over our appearance money due to the team’s performance, let’s hope we have already been paid for this one.

27/05 - BRATISLAVA: SPORTS CLUB BRATISLAVA  8 NEWCASTLE 1

Local officials had enlarged the ground and built new grandstands in anticipation of a large attendance, but only 3,500 turned up.

Bratislava took the lead through Uher after only five minutes and although Macdonald equalised on the half hour Priboj made it 2-1 just before the interval. After the break Bratislava scored five times in the first twenty minutes to lead 7-1

With fifteen minutes left  Priboj was injured and had to retire;  Newcastle would  not permit a substitute. But the home side stayed in control and Uher scored his fourth in the last minute with a fine solo effort. 

At the conclusion of the game the crowd whistled vociferously in complaint.

Evening Chronicle - Goal “Avalanche” At Bratislava

Newcastle United's tour on the Continent has not been at all fortunate. They met Bratislava yesterday afternoon, and left the field beaten by eight goals to one. The home team led at half-time by 2-1.

United's heavy defeat was brought about by a combination of bad refereeing, amazing bad luck and the brilliance of the home goalkeeper who gave a wonderful display. The game opened sensationally, Bratislava scoring two goals within the first five minutes and the United replied a few moments later. For the remainder of the first half both teams indulged in defensive play, with Newcastle superior in tactics.

Shortly after the resumption the referee allowed the home team three consecutive goals which were clearly off-side. The Newcastle players were plainly discouraged at these very doubtful decisions of the referee, and the game degenerated into a scramble.

The United forwards attempted a rally, but they were met by an admirable display of goalkeeping. They continued to attack, but at least half a dozen stinging drives struck the crossbar, and other shots that would have got past any average goal- keeper missed the mark by inches only.

The weather was fine, but the United seemed handicapped by the small size of the playing field.

The score does not accurately reflect the standard of the game played by the visitors. the United played clever football, but were beaten by an unusual combination of circumstances. 

Der Morgen described United's performance as the "peak of indolence" and argued that "this complete failure of the English" proves that "the gentlemen make only pleasure trips" and are not interested in providing "sporting value". 

Reichspost called it "almost a scandal... without parable in the history of international football life".

Hughie Gallacher's viewpoint in 1932 Sunday Sun feature

We played during a heat-wave, I never knew until then what heat meant. Worse still, we sat on the pavilion verandah, in the sun, for more than an hour whilst another match was being played, before being given the signal to strip. The local team beat us 8-1. Rather I should say the barometer beat us.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

But the Tottenham game was pretty much right after arrival, 3 days after seasons end, and we played first-team players in that game? That's even more risky.

Edited by Erikse

19 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

The exact attitude that sees home fans continually fucked over here. Cash is king, fuck anything else. 

Get Silverstone a statue next to Shearer and SBR. 

FFP/PSR has made it so

You can be upset about it but that is the reality, we are not in a position to be turning down money that's on offer

I get the anger but I'd much sooner direct it towards those that push/implement FFP/PSR rather than the club

I'm amazed anyone thought the team would be much different and cares that much

Imagine if we played Bruno and he got a long term injury

2 minutes ago, Erikse said:

But the Tottenham game was pretty much right after arrival, 3 days after seasons end, and we played first-team players in that game? That's even more risky.

I think Howe's point is the first team players playing again is the issue

I think not getting battered off Spurs is the preferred option

11 minutes ago, Erikse said:

But the Tottenham game was the main fixture in a much bigger stadium. That was the game we would have agreed to play the first team as part of the payment for travelling that way.

The match today wouldn’t have had an agreement in terms of which players to play.

If I was really petty I'd go back through the match threads in December where I had to argue with idiots who wanted Howe to play DA KIDZ.

Our kids aren't very good. Simple as. It'll take years to recovery from the Ashley era at this level.

Obviously a bit of a shit night after the high of the Precinct Hotel and MCG on Wednesday, but I got to take my bairn to a Toon match and that was priceless. 

At the very least, Ritchie and Dummett should have started and some of our fringe players could have easily done 30 minutes.

A joke for our fans over there - a mate of mine flew three and half hours for it (he couldn't make Wednesday).

Completely pointless result in a trip which is highly questionable. That said losing 8-0 ffs? ? I obviously haven’t seen any of it but you have to be turbo levels of shit to concede 8 and not even score. That’s an embarrassment even if the fixture was ultimately pointless.

2 minutes ago, Paully said:

At the very least, Ritchie and Dummett should have started and some of our fringe players could have easily done 30 minutes.

A joke for our fans over there - a mate of mine flew three and half hours for it (he couldn't make Wednesday).

Aye. Confused how some people don't see this as massive 2 fingers up to our fans on the side of the world. Even our fringe players could've had some minutes and wouldn't have mattered if they got injured or not considering a few are leaving next month anyway

Ah well.

57 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

If I was really petty I'd go back through the match threads in December where I had to argue with idiots who wanted Howe to play DA KIDZ.

Our kids aren't very good. Simple as. It'll take years to recovery from the Ashley era at this level.

Are the best kids not in Hong Kong for a 7 aside tournament? 

1 hour ago, Toontimes said:

Older members may recall Newcastle’s most controversial tour ever after the end of the 1928/29 season which included an 8-1 defeat against Bratislava. Later in the same tour the Hungarian FA refused to hand over our appearance money due to the team’s performance, let’s hope we have already been paid for this one.

27/05 - BRATISLAVA: SPORTS CLUB BRATISLAVA  8 NEWCASTLE 1

Local officials had enlarged the ground and built new grandstands in anticipation of a large attendance, but only 3,500 turned up.

Bratislava took the lead through Uher after only five minutes and although Macdonald equalised on the half hour Priboj made it 2-1 just before the interval. After the break Bratislava scored five times in the first twenty minutes to lead 7-1

With fifteen minutes left  Priboj was injured and had to retire;  Newcastle would  not permit a substitute. But the home side stayed in control and Uher scored his fourth in the last minute with a fine solo effort. 

At the conclusion of the game the crowd whistled vociferously in complaint.

Evening Chronicle - Goal “Avalanche” At Bratislava

Newcastle United's tour on the Continent has not been at all fortunate. They met Bratislava yesterday afternoon, and left the field beaten by eight goals to one. The home team led at half-time by 2-1.

United's heavy defeat was brought about by a combination of bad refereeing, amazing bad luck and the brilliance of the home goalkeeper who gave a wonderful display. The game opened sensationally, Bratislava scoring two goals within the first five minutes and the United replied a few moments later. For the remainder of the first half both teams indulged in defensive play, with Newcastle superior in tactics.

Shortly after the resumption the referee allowed the home team three consecutive goals which were clearly off-side. The Newcastle players were plainly discouraged at these very doubtful decisions of the referee, and the game degenerated into a scramble.

The United forwards attempted a rally, but they were met by an admirable display of goalkeeping. They continued to attack, but at least half a dozen stinging drives struck the crossbar, and other shots that would have got past any average goal- keeper missed the mark by inches only.

The weather was fine, but the United seemed handicapped by the small size of the playing field.

The score does not accurately reflect the standard of the game played by the visitors. the United played clever football, but were beaten by an unusual combination of circumstances. 

Der Morgen described United's performance as the "peak of indolence" and argued that "this complete failure of the English" proves that "the gentlemen make only pleasure trips" and are not interested in providing "sporting value". 

Reichspost called it "almost a scandal... without parable in the history of international football life".

Hughie Gallacher's viewpoint in 1932 Sunday Sun feature

We played during a heat-wave, I never knew until then what heat meant. Worse still, we sat on the pavilion verandah, in the sun, for more than an hour whilst another match was being played, before being given the signal to strip. The local team beat us 8-1. Rather I should say the barometer beat us.

Didn't we win the league the season before?