Pre-season (2024/25)

bowlingcrofty

1 minute ago, Rod said:

For clarification, I think Botman may be on the bench when the season kicks off proper.

I think he’ll start with one of either Burn or Schär. Probably Burn. 

13 minutes ago, TRon said:

Murphy did show some pace and tbf, he didn't hide, but if we only have 25 places in the squad then he should go out on loan before Anderson.

You know Anderson doesn't count in the 25 right

2 minutes ago, Rod said:

For clarification, I think Botman may be on the bench when the season kicks off proper.

Yep. Like Bruno he will have to prove his worth over those holding the shirt currently. It will happen of course, but those lads deserve respect for what they did last season.

Thought it was a pretty dull match like. Very pre season kickabout-like.

Thought Almiron and Longstaff did well. They didn't trouble us much.

Really don't think Anderson is up to scratch quite yet. I think I'd loan him out.  

1 minute ago, LV said:

I think he’ll start with one of either Burn or Schär. Probably Burn. 

My thoughts are that Botman hasn't experienced the Premier league yet so Howe will play safe and start with Schar and Burn.

Just now, Rod said:

My thoughts are that Botman hasn't experienced the Premier league yet so Howe will play safe and start with Schar and Burn.

You may well be right. 

We’ll see soon. 

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

You know Anderson doesn't count in the 25 right

I would if I could get Football Manager on a Mac tbh, but I haven't played it for over a decade. I think it would help me immensely if I got a Windows laptop again.

5 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Looking at the line up tonight you can't tell. Botman has also been involved basically all preseason, whilst Bruno was signed towards the end of the January window. You maybe right of course.

It seems likely that he'd want to play his first choice back four together for their final preseason match.

Was pleased with how solid we looked against a team that scores a lot of goals. Can't remember Pope having too much to do and although they looked better at the end of the 2nd half (when they brought on all their fresh legs) we still looked pretty solid

Fella in the mobility scooter with the flag was a laugh

Just now, Jackie Broon said:

It seems likely that he'd want to play his first choice back four together for their final preseason match.

I thought it would seem likely he would want to play his (pencilled in) first choice team for their final preseason match, he didn't though. Just have to wait and find out next week.

Thought Longstaff had a great second half sweeping up. 

Pope - 6 - not much to do. Did what he had too when called upon. 

Trippier - 6.5 - rocky start but was back to being himself by half time.

Schar - 7 - solid for the most part but more conservative coming forward than normal. Possibly got a way with a penalty call.

Burn - 7.5 - when he is good he is soo good. Love the guy. Coped really well with Zapata

Targett - 6.5 - like Trippier, a few shaky moments earlier in the game and some poor passing but generally a solid but unspectacular game. 

Longstaff - 7.5 - shakey start and we were being overwhelmed for a period in the first half with a new midfield trio but I thought he grew into the game and did really well dropping deeper and sweeping in the second.

Anderson - 7.5 - thought he was a bit lost but grew massively into the game. Not too much space to work in and maybe played a bit deeper than he would like. He showed some great touches, skills and strength though. 

Almiron - 7.5 - he faded a little towards the end like most but was a nuisance in a different role. Almost scored another better and showed some amazing feet and link up play. Likewise some nice spreading of the play when tracking back. 

Murphy - 7 - so frustrating but he just doesn't have the next level and consistency to his game. Some great bursts, dribbles and link up play though.

Fraser - 6.5 - wee man worked hard but nothing particularly spectacular or game changing from him today.

Wood - 6 - a few moments of good strength and hold up/link up play but only a few. Great penalty but ineffective for the majority of the game and never looked a threat.

Shortstaff - 5.5 - ran around, got in the way with his own player resulting in a dangerous turn over. Will be out on loan soon. Hope he can find his feet there again.

15 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Thought it was a pretty dull match like. Very pre season kickabout-like.

Thought Almiron and Longstaff did well. They didn't trouble us much.

Really don't think Anderson is up to scratch quite yet. I think I'd loan him out.  

Dull? Dear me!

9 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I thought it would seem likely he would want to play his (pencilled in) first choice team for their final preseason match, he didn't though. Just have to wait and find out next week.

Yeah, seems strange not to play his first eleven together but It looks like he's split it and played his first choice back four with second choice midfield and forward line.

Just now, Jackie Broon said:

Yeah, seems strange not to play his first eleven together but It looks like he's split it and played his first choice back four with second choice midfield and forward line.

Just have to see, as I said you may well be right.

Got to say I personally really like that we haven't played our 'starting XI' yet and indeed won't for the friendlies. Same system every game but different players is to me how a proper side should be coached. It means anybody should be able to step in - and nobody feels completely comfortable of their place.

Edited by ponsaelius

Guest neesy111

I really wouldn't read anything into pre season performances and lineups tbh.  They are done for fitness purposes first and foremost.