Pre-season (2024/25): Urawa Red Diamonds vs Newcastle United (31/07/24 @ 11:30am)

bowlingcrofty

Got to remember gordon never had a break last summer either though. And as much as he hasn't played this summer he's been around the set up training every day etc

Edited by jack j

25 minutes ago, gdm said:

It is a bit strange. By the time we get back from Japan Gordon won’t get many minutes before the season starts 

If anyone deserves a break its him

30 minutes ago, gdm said:

It is a bit strange. By the time we get back from Japan Gordon won’t get many minutes before the season starts 

Barnes will start the season and Gordon on the bench imo.

39 minutes ago, jack j said:

Got to remember gordon never had a break last summer either though. And as much as he hasn't played this summer he's been around the set up training every day etc

How do you know he has been with the club training this summer? 
edit: ah, you mean England.

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

47 minutes ago, Joe1984 said:

So Schar, who played loads at Euro 2024 is in, but Gordon who played 4 minutes is out for an extended break?

He didn’t get a rest last summer, and played high intensity all season and basically got fucked his ankle at end of season. Glad we’ve gave him an extended break because he needs it. 

29 minutes ago, duo said:

If anyone deserves a break its him

Not saying he doesn’t but only leaves the Sela weekender to get minutes in preseason and he won’t play both games  so he’s likely to get less than 90 mins all

pre-season

4 minutes ago, gdm said:

Not saying he doesn’t but only leaves the Sela weekender to get minutes in preseason and he won’t play both games  so he’s likely to get less than 90 mins all

pre-season

I don't see it as an issue, he is a super fit guy who is probably training on his own. Also as per the Overlap podcast with Gary Neville he does a lot of training and yoga on his own during the season too.

I think Gordon will be even better this season, he will have a chip on his shoulder from only playing 4 mins with england 

It's definitely a positive longer term for Gordon to enjoy a proper break. As has been mentioned he's spent the last two early summer's away on international duty. He'll come back refreshed and is already totally up to speed mentally with his role on the pitch. He'll be fine but I wouldn't be surprised to see Barnes vs Southampton. Hopefully not as I'm going and Gordon is a tremendous watch but fitness wise he may be a week or so away.

8 minutes ago, Coastie said:

Any news on Kuol? I know he's featured a little bit in the preseason tour but doubtless going on loan again.

Has he done owt worth seeing?

Not going to Japan. Which speaks volumes given lack of forwards. 

2 hours ago, Sibierski said:

He didn’t get a rest last summer, and played high intensity all season and basically got fucked his ankle at end of season. Glad we’ve gave him an extended break because he needs it. 

I was more concerned about Schar not getting much of a rest.