Pre-season (2024/25)

bowlingcrofty

36 minutes ago, HTT II said:

We looked really sharp last night and I though Willock and Murphy were more involved in an attacking sense higher up. Again, we’ll be fine this season even if we don’t strengthen again, which we will, 3 more players I’m told.

:lol:

By who?

3 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Just watched 10 minutes highlights and there was not one second footage of ASM doing anything with the ball. Was this a fair reflection? 

He put Wilson thru for a great chance but Wilson was offside and missed anyway and had a shot that was just wide 

Edited by gdm

1 minute ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Just watched 10 minutes highlights and there was not one second footage of ASM doing anything with the ball. Was this a fair reflection? 

He had a shot and put a nice threaded through ball to put Wilson one on one with their keeper but that’s all I can really remember. 

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Nah, he did slip in a few balls, some clever, some over hit, he switched play a lot to the other flank quite well I thought. Off the ball though he was very lazy and whenever touched did his usual stroppy in a huff taking forever to get back up shit, it’s like he personally finds it offensive to even be touched. Just get back up and get on with it you planet soft cunt.

4 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Was that the extent of his contribution? 

I don’t think anyone would disagree if I said that him, Wilson, Anderson and Wood had the least outfield touches of the ball in that match.

4 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Nah, he did slip in a few balls, some clever, some over hit, he switched play a lot to the other flank quite well I thought. Off the ball though he was very lazy and whenever touched did his usual stroppy in a huff taking forever to get back up shit, it’s like he personally finds it offensive to even be touched. Just get back up and get on with it you planet soft cunt.

This 100%.

I am beginning to think that if someone offered us 35M (standard price for any bugga these days) for him, I would snap their hand off and buy someone who would put the work in and offer some more attacking prowess. they don´t have to be "great to watch" just efficient in what they do and their contribution to the team...

I only caught the second half and the goals.  Decent play and finishes from Trippier and Almiron. 

We still look a bit toothless in attack.  But I was impressed with the intensity and the pace we tried to play at.  I know it's pre-season, but we seemed to attempt to build from the back and pass about a bit.  At least that was the case in the 45 minutes that I watched.  It was against proper European level opposition and in front of a decent crowd and all. 

So all in all, it was quite positive and what I saw was fairly promising.  But it did just further highlight the need for a couple more attacking options.  

Edited by Lush Vlad

Just to add, I was impressed with Bondwell.  He looked decent on the ball, pretty quick and fairly assured at both ends of the pitch.  

Willock and Murphy both looked rapid, but the quality was perhaps a bit lacking at times.

I was wondering if it was just iffy highlights because there’s a lot of comments about how we need to replace miggy because he lacks end product but uproar when folk suggest ASM isn’t pulling his weight. ‘Selling our best attacking player is daft’ etc. not sure he is our best attacking player. 

Both goals were great like, Almiron's ball out to Trippier for the first was something we really lacked from our forwards.

Trippier's ball into Almiron for the second was fucking NAWTY as well. He'll bring us so much next season along with Botman.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

1 hour ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

I was wondering if it was just iffy highlights because there’s a lot of comments about how we need to replace miggy because he lacks end product but uproar when folk suggest ASM isn’t pulling his weight. ‘Selling our best attacking player is daft’ etc. not sure he is our best attacking player. 

It's only a preseason friendly so you can't put too much stock in it ..but based on what I gathered from the Portuguese commentator..their right side of defense was strong and their left side weak so he was suggesting that we were always likely to get my joy attacking down almirons side. 

That being said ASM still had a few moments where he can create something out of nothing and did very little "wrong" other than looking poor defensively but that's nothing new.

it's weird that he keeps getting singled out for criticism when you see how poor some of the other players in the squad are. 

Regarding his going down easily, I don't think people appreciate how much he does get kicked. There was one moment shown on reply where the fucker took out his one leg then smashed his other leg aswell for good measure. There is probably also the element of making the ref aware of it so that it doesn't keep happening or better you get them carded early. He also does milk it possibly to get out of some defensive work ?

ASM was by far our best attacking contributor last season. Miggy has barely done a thing of note in the PL for two years.

I'm really keen for him to have a redemption arc under Howe, and hopeful for him this season - but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Pre-season has a habit of having absolutely no correlation with the real thing.

1 hour ago, 54 said:

Is this an actual rule or have we just done it off our own back to show he's being punished so that the referee doesn't report it to the FA.