General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

I didn't fucking want him, I was fuming.

Fuming that we were signing a ballon dor winner at 25.

I understand in hindsight like but at the time who couldn't be happy at such a transfer

Because anyone with half a brain could see he was a one trick pony who'd lost his magic wand ie his pace.

I understand in hindsight like but at the time who couldn't be happy at such a transfer

Because anyone with half a brain could see he was a one trick pony who'd lost his magic wand ie his pace.

He was still quick until he got the acl injury at Christmas that season. Guess I have half a brain though so can't actually see the truth

Anyone who posted on here at the time will tell you it's not hindsight at all.

Peter Ramage made 29 appearances that season, Robbie Elliott 22, Amdy Faye 28, Lee Clark 25, Shola 34. That's before mentioning Craig Moore, Bramble, Babayaro etc. The squad was absolute shite and Souness and Shepherd thought they could fix everything by spending most of our money on a goal poacher with a notoriously bad injury record. At the time £16m could have paid for massive improvements to the squad as a whole.

Yep, I wasn't against the player per se, but it was blatantly obvious we'd put all our eggs in that one fragile basket. Seem to remember posting those exact words at the time actually. Not only that, he clearly didn't want to come.

It was a pure vanity signing.

Didn't he have the best goals to minutes ratio in La Liga? Came here and scored 7 in 11 and then broke his foot.

I was about 14 at the time though, so one of them half brained c***s. My initial exitement wore off pretty quickly when he turned out to be a total c*** like.

He score 7 goals in 10 games for us also iirc before the injury. Then the knee injury fucked him up completely.

I didn't want him purely because he had made it pretty clear he really wanted to return to Liverpool. That was before realising that he was a busted flush by the time he got here.

Sheps biggest mistake was his treatment of Sir Bobby and his hiring of Souness, end of.

I think it went deeper than that. Shepherd liked to portray himself as an ambitious owner, but he tended to go for one huge showstopper signing backed up with a load of cheaper ones to make up the squad. Even under SBR we had some pretty ordinary players in the team alongside the superstars like Shearer. There was some pretty dodgy deals behind the scenes as well like the Boumsong signing. I don't know if Shepherd was a devious cunt or just really thick. 

I didn't want him purely because he had made it pretty clear he really wanted to return to Liverpool. That was before realising that he was a busted flush by the time he got here.

Exactly. Too many injuries even before he got here had decreased his speed, and without that speed he was never the kind of signing the money at the time warranted.

Guest Howaythetoon

I didn't f***ing want him, I was fuming.

Same here, he was signed at the expense of the squad and he clearly didn't want to be here. Furthermore Souness wanted Anelka instead who would have been a much better signing.

Owen was a top-class forward even when we signed him, but it was *never the right fit.

As for Shepherd.... this was HIS signing. Apparently Real told him Liverpool had offered 8m, the ball is in your court and FS doubled the bid there and then. After that there was no way Liverpool were going to pay that much. We effectively coerced him into joining us which Owen did so for first-team football in order to keep appearing for England.

Didn't he brag that the FA gave us something like 10m in compensation for his injury?

*Under KK mind, Owen was becoming a key player and performing really well.

Guest Howaythetoon

By the way, Rafa didn't really fancy Owen as Liverpool manager, it was their board pushing to get him back from Madrid. He would have been a bit part player under him at Liverpool for sure.

Owen was a top player until the ACL.  He even showed under KK when motivated he could be effective. Scored a lot of headers iiirc. 

Hate him more than any other NUFC player mind.

Shepherd loved a Marquee signing. Was serious about signing Fernando Torres and Wayne Rooney. He wanted a new #9 icon.  Everything else he didn't care.

Guest Howaythetoon

Owen was a top player until the ACL.  He even showed under KK when motivated he could be effective. Scored a lot of headers iiirc. 

Hate him more than any other NUFC player mind.

Shepherd loved a Marquee signing. Was serious about signing Fernando Torres and Wayne Rooney. He wanted a new #9 icon.  Everything else he didn't care.

The whole Rooney bid was fake and designed to get Man Utd to pay as much as possible and to force Everton to sell the player in order for the agent who had offices at SJP and close links to the brother of FS to make as much money from their client which of course was also about turning him into a brand and marketable asset. Man Utd was the best place for that to be maximised and not NUFC.

Guest Howaythetoon

There's nothing I'd rather have in my side player-for-player than a striker who routinely scores from half chances, like. Someone like Ba. It's basically a shortcut to more points.

It is and I agree. Such players also get shit managers, sides and tactics out of jail such as Big Sam (Defoe), Ba/Remy (Pardew) and NUFC (Shearer) for years.

Give a top manager such a player though...

Rafa and Torres, Sir Bobby and Shearer, KK and Cole or Sir Les.