General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

I've never understood the gripes with the Blaydon Races version. 

But yeah, Local Hero has lost its emphasis for me now cos it's hastily bolted-on at the very end of pre-match affairs, rather than taking centre stage when the players come out. Then the piece itself is too long for the segment of proceedings in which it sits - literally stopping a moment before the ref's whistle. 

I'm glad we had this chat, I hadn't been able to put my finger on this but I have now. :lol:

Apropos of nothing, sometimes FIFA times the pre-match cut scenes with a saxophone instrumental from Get You Down by Sam Fender and it sounds fucking mint. (2:04 in the song).

Obviously I know Local Hero is iconic but it'd never properly hit me until recently, maybe not being local. First time I would've heard it was probably my first ever game at SJP as a 14 year old so I blame my dad for not teaching me right. Then we were sifting through Shadows music for his funeral last year and I discovered their version which probably hits more for me due to dad' s love of them.

Never imagined I'd ever be a blubbering mess pre- match against Burnley. :lol: But that was the next match I could attend. Suddenly felt totally different.

Fuck the PL's non-descript pre-match noise foisted upon every club getting in the way, too. Yet more sterilised bollocks.

4 hours ago, patrone said:

It's even better when they play it as you leave the tunnel on those "play at ST James Park" events

:love:

Ruined by the Premier League anthem. Another soulless completely needless embelishment to make some people mooching off the game justify their jobs.

Whatever club, even if Z-Cars at Everton or that Harry J Allstars thing at Wolves, anything is better than that concept of and dirge of that.

Goes back to 1992 as far as I can recall. Don't think there was anything in particular or nothing at all prior to that, just concluding a playlist, but Alan Price's infinitely better Blaydon Races amounted to the same thing - knew match time was at hand, ground filling up, few people still trickling in, calm before the storm feel.

Edited by Jonas

2 hours ago, El Prontonise said:

I fucking hate that version of the Blaydon races.

Its the sort of thing the PL would come up with to have only in-house sanctioned official verrsions of songs associated with clubs playing at grounds.

Can't remember the order, but loved getting in 15-20 mins or so early with the anticipation to kick-off.

Get What You Give, The Jarrow Song, Blitzkrieg Bop, Blaydon Races, O Fortuna finishing with Local Hero. 

The Premier League insisting on their "anthem" being from around 2004-5ish just lessened it a bit. 

I missed a season and when I came back that playlist was set.  Feel like I missed the origins/point of Blitzkrieg Bop and guess O Fortuna coincided with the extension and was a bit of a rip off of the mackems classical music.

The soundtrack to the match during the Sir Bobby era.

For some reason Kool and the Gang 'Get Down On It' was played reguarly pre match in 89/90.

*They played We Wish You Well by Whitesnake after the after match (players down the tunnel) every game in 93/94. Wonder which came first that or KK ending his interviews with that.

Edited by Jonas

Just now, Jonas said:

I missed a season and when I came back that playlist was set.  Feel like I missed the origins/point of Blitzkrieg Bop and guess O Fortuna coincided with the extension and was a bit of a rip off of the mackems classical music.

The soundtrack to the match during the Sir Bobby era.

For some reason Kool and the Gang 'Get Down On It' was played reguarly pre match in 89/90.

Yeah definitely early 2000s that playlist. Takes me back to sitting in Level 7 watching Robert, Bellamy, Shearer, Speed, Bobby, etc. 

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Assuming he's a computer generated player as I was Googling him too. 

Hilarious. Apparently is a regen who wins ballon d or playing for us

12 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Absolute belta, sort of song we should be bringing back especially with the continuing disdain from London for the NE. Something warming about signing about burning London down like Boudicca.

Instead we rip off Arsenal singing some wanky Shakira song about Joelinton. Waka waka fuck off.

8 hours ago, Nucasol said:

Absolute belta, sort of song we should be bringing back especially with the continuing disdain from London for the NE. Something warming about signing about burning London down like Boudicca.

Instead we rip off Arsenal singing some wanky Shakira song about Joelinton. Waka waka fuck off.

They used to play that before the match when I first had my season ticket mid 2000s