Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

Our options? If man united decided they didn’t want Ashworth I imagine he would rot on gardening leave and go at the end of his contract. 

I was meaning towards Man U. On the one hand there is a clear disruption of a rival due to approaching their employee but legally I'm not sure that would be much of a case as we presumably didn't have to put him on gardening leave. It would be politically costly to Man U and make them look a bit cheap and amateur but beyond that I'm not sure if their would be tangible consequences.

Edited by Geordie_once_removed

6 minutes ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

It would be politically costly to Man U and make them look a bit cheap and amateur

Yeah, completely shattering our current reputation of being smart and astute when it comes to talent aquisitions.

30 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I'd keep him but make him scout the Scottish Highland Leagues all season. 

Why would you send him to a glorious part of the world? Send him to Milton Keynes 

5 hours ago, GeordieToon said:

Apparently Ashworth’s target next season is, Best in Show at RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2025

And tell us Dan, what inspired your entry this year?

IMG_4290.jpeg

7 hours ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

Apologies if asked already but what are Newcastle's options if Man United decide to walk away? Can they still demand some compensation? He clearly can't come back and you've lost the use of a key employee (while still paying him).

On Southgate as a manager, I broadly like him as England manager but international football is so different from club football and I think it will really expose his biggest weaknesses as a manager and not really compliment his strengths. Specifically his lack of tactical flexibility and ability to impact games with changes while no one will really care that much about how he carries himself with dignity and seems to impart that on his team. When you're a club manager you're not really representing anything bigger/embodying and broader principles, so why would people care that much.

Gardening leave is his notice period, because he's put in his notice to leave. You can do that at any place of work without having somewhere else to go, this is no different. He'll serve out his notice period (gardening leave) and then he's free to do whatever he wants with his life.

What we feel about how Man U have handled this and whether we have any recourse is entirely separate, and doesn't depend on if he ultimately goes there or not.

We're asking for compensation to shorten / waive his gardening leave.

Also if Man Utd withdraw their interest in him, there's nothing stopping him from getting a job outside of football or with somebody who isn't a direct rival of ours.

Non-compete clauses, gardening leave and things of that nature tend to be very narrow in scope, otherwise they can potentially be unenforceable. 

Or so I'm led to believe cos I'm very far from being an expert on these things.

3 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Gardening leave is his notice period, because he's put in his notice to leave. You can do that at any place of work without having somewhere else to go, this is no different. He'll serve out his notice period (gardening leave) and then he's free to do whatever he wants with his life.

What we feel about how Man U have handled this and whether we have any recourse is entirely separate, and doesn't depend on if he ultimately goes there or not.

That's kind of what I expected. The main cost to Man U would be political in that they look cheap, amateur and ultimately not as trustworthy to potential employees which would matter some as those at the top end of the industry may not want to deal with that, so they would be overall a less attractive proposition.

4 hours ago, Chris_R said:

It's not just his notice period to be fair. Part the gardening leave will be a non-compete period.