Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

2 minutes ago, manorpark said:

Isn't all of this just based on rumour?

What has Amanda said about it?

What have PIF said about it?

What has Ashworth said about it?

Aye fair point. It is based on rumour, that doesn't mean it won't happen, doesn't mean it will either.

If the papers are correct and he's to be appointed early next year, then manure have met the buyout fee of his contract, so nothing we can do. 

It's been good having him, but not the end of the world he leaves. Manure aren't going to do anything in the next 10 years, but understand he's got links to the new investors and they'll be paying him daft money to look after their ott investment.

2 minutes ago, Dokko said:

If the papers are correct and he's to be appointed early next year, then manure have met the buyout fee of his contract, so nothing we can do. 

It's been good having him, but not the end of the world he leaves. Manure aren't going to do anything in the next 10 years, but understand he's got links to the new investors and they'll be paying him daft money to look after their ott investment.

Nothing being reported by the reliable sports journos like Ornstein etc, only tabloids.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Unless they are highly qualified for the job of course ?

I bet all of Howe's friends are highly qualified. Can't imagine he'd want to spend his time with anyone less. They probably all meet up to discuss who's made the best friendship bracelets and how they could be made even better.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Unless they are highly qualified for the job of course ?

Unless they are obviously the best person in the world, no. We need to hedge for the tail probability that, at some point, Howe might fail. Building a football ecosystem around him is not a good idea, nor is it the objective of a director of football who should protect the club’s long-term interests, independent of the manager. Richard Hughes might do this, but the probability is lower than it should be.

6 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Ashworth makes me laugh though. It's his interfering, it's his timing. Going on about how he wants some transfer to Man Utd doing-it's cup quarter final day, you know. Ooh, what's more important, you ”Dan”, with your move to Man Utd, or Newcastles cup run?

:lol:

5 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

Has Ashworth even been here long enough to make an impact? Which players were his picks?

The benefit of Ashworth was always going to be long term. Overseeing the redevelopment of the training ground, academy pathways etc, plus the eventual fruits from a coordinated long term transfer policy (making profit on FFP through flipping/clever young player acquisition). Hence why it would be very disappointing to lose someone so fundamental and who the club fought really hard to get.

5 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Lad just angling for another long stretch of paid gardening leave I reckon, has found it preferable to actually doing the job

Very likely that I would do the exact same thing if I were in his position :lol:

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

Very likely that I would do the exact same thing if I were in his position :lol:

On a serious note though, if Kew Gardens was to try and pilfer Monty Don from the BBC, what would happen like?

Newcastle United will go on.

Dan Ashworth is just another person in a long line of people that have come and wanted out of this club.

Mind you this is assuming the rumours are true about him...and if so he can go and do one and I won't lose any sleep over him as I won't lose any sleep over anyone wanting out of Newcastle.

Losing him under Ashley would've been a different kettle of fish but losing him under this regime will be leaving him with little excuse to curry any favour.

If he goes he will be replaced with equal or better. He's not the only one that can do a job.

The bottom line is that he'd probably get paid more at Man United and would have a much easier path to leading his club to multiple trophies.

I don't know if people working in the game really care about building a more romantic legacy or being the first person to bring success to a fanbase starved of it. They'll mostly just care about how many medals there are on the mantelpiece and how much money there is in the bank account.

That said, Stavely and co have shown they have a good head for targeting talented people for important roles. I'd be confident they'll find someone to replace him that'll know what they're doing.

14 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

I'll be pissed off with the cunt if he gets more gardening leave, always wanted gardening leave myself but some twats get all the luck.

Same. I haven't even got a garden, but they don't know that :shifty: