Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

If he can’t apparently take any responsibility for the cock-ups, not sure why he should be given any credit for the successes. 

To my knowledge he hasn't taken any credit for the successes.

Man Utd are a bigger club than us, it’s a bigger job and a bigger opportunity. That’s a mixture of ffp holding us back and also the fact they’re just bigger and under new (part) ownership are a better bet for the big trophies in the near future.

Don’t take it personally, it’s just how it is and probably always will be.

Doesn’t mean we’re not going in the right direction as a club, we are!

Edited by lovejoy

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Do you honestly think that those involved in scouting players just look at the player’s ability?  Character comes into it.  Clubs were able to find out in the ‘70s what a player’s vices were.

Quite different seeing if a player goes to a pub or club than what he is doing at home on his phone. Of course they do their due dilligance, but it is limited.

4 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

I"m a few years older than you and can assure you, no one not even Man Utd fans thought they were bigger than Liverpool in the late 80’s and anyone who even suggested it would have been laughed at.

They comfortably had the highest average attendances throughout almost the entire period.  Not being the most successful doesn’t mean they weren’t the biggest. 

Edwards article is actually quite a good read for once and it certainly confirms where not a soft touch who rolls over anymore.

No way will the Mancs wait 12 months for him, if they want him it’s going to cost big money.

There days of been a constant trophy winning side for man utd is gone. With city scousers and arsenal about and the mighty mags we are amongst it so to me it's a sideways step at most. 

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They comfortably had the highest average attendances throughout almost the entire period.  Not being the most successful doesn’t mean they weren’t the biggest. 

So was it the Busy Babes and the tragedy that put them there? If you're saying they were the biggest club before Fergie then i assume it predates him quite a lot.

6 minutes ago, Mountain said:

So was it the Busy Babes and the tragedy that put them there? If you're saying they were the biggest club before Fergie then i assume it predates him quite a lot.

Yep, it’s the Busby Babes’ success and then Munich which is the genesis of it.  Sympathy turned to support.  Before that, Man Utd were just another club which pulled big crowds (though not the biggest)

Also, on  Ashworth generally. Maybe he is the ‘best in class’ but so far he was at West Brom who won nowt, England who won nowt, Brighton who won nowt and NUFC, who won nowt!

We’ll be fine.

Bad craic this like joins us for the project and to make us a force in the future only to fuck off within a few short years for a club that is a shambles with regards to owners stadium falling to bits players who arent top four standard. If it was to go to city arsenal Liverpool fair enough he must be a money man. 

2 minutes ago, andycap said:

Bad craic this like joins us for the project and to make us a force in the future only to fuck off within a few short years for a club that is a shambles with regards to owners stadium falling to bits players who arent top four standard. If it was to go to city arsenal Liverpool fair enough he must be a money man. 

Man Utd will be back amongst title chases  quickly imo, quicker than us anyway.

He’s not leaving us for Crystal Palace, he’s going to the biggest club in the country and one of the biggest in the world.

As I say, don’t worry about it. We’ll get someone else, it’s nowt personal, they’re just bigger.

27 minutes ago, andycap said:

I couldn’t think of a better job. They’re at a low, a total shambles and the only way is up. He has almost a blank canvas and loads to spend. 

I’m not actually that arsed though. I’d like to think we’ll bring in the right replacement. We’ve shown that we want the right structure in place for the club, and that doesn’t end because one person leaves. 

43 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Do you honestly think that those involved in scouting players just look at the player’s ability?  Character comes into it.  Clubs were able to find out in the ‘70s what a player’s vices were.

Didn't he get an Italy callup after he joined us? Surely if it was as easy to get information on as people are suggesting then that wouldn't have happened. 

I can’t remember where I read it(or watched it) but I remember Henry Winter saying that if Ashworth left Newcastle would go for Brentford sporting director Phil Giles. Henry Winter spoke very highly of him. I don’t know anything about him but he said that Phil Giles is a geordie and an avid Newcastle Fan. 

my choice of replacement would be Michael Edwards, but i trust in the ownership & whoever they pick will be right person for the job.

31 minutes ago, Playmaker said:

I can’t remember where I read it(or watched it) but I remember Henry Winter saying that if Ashworth left Newcastle would go for Brentford sporting director Phil Giles. Henry Winter spoke very highly of him. I don’t know anything about him but he said that Phil Giles is a geordie and an avid Newcastle Fan. 

my choice of replacement would be Michael Edwards, but i trust in the ownership & whoever they pick will be right person for the job.

From the Brentford website.

Growing up, Phil was a Newcastle United fan, since he was born there and his family are life long fans. His favourite player is Les Ferdinand (with apologies about the QPR connection)!

1 hour ago, lovejoy said:

Also, on  Ashworth generally. Maybe he is the ‘best in class’ but so far he was at West Brom who won nowt, England who won nowt, Brighton who won nowt and NUFC, who won nowt!

We’ll be fine.

At West Brom he oversaw the appointments of Di Matteo, Hodgson and Michael Appleton. At England, he was involved in the appointments of Hodgson, Allardyce and Southgate. At Brighton, he was no doubt involved in Potter, which is his only obvious hit. Further, as someone who works in the space, I have found his data appointments here pretty disappointing. I don’t have enough information to properly assess him, but I don’t get what’s so obviously excellent about him.

Edited by Jagten

2 hours ago, huss9 said:

would any money coming in count towars ffp?

Yes, and he has no book value so its all profit in the bank (assuming we don't then spend the same amount prizing someone away from their club).

If the compensation is £20m its essentially the same as selling Longstaff for £20m

2 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Yes, and he has no book value so its all profit in the bank (assuming we don't then spend the same amount prizing someone away from their club).

If the compensation is £20m its essentially the same as selling Longstaff for £20m

Right. So we need to start selling back room staff to Saudi teams. How many million can we get for the tea lady before liverfool start whinging? 

is it too late to get Derek wright and his wet sponge back, he must be worth something. 

4 hours ago, Jagten said:

At West Brom he oversaw the appointments of Di Matteo, Hodgson and Michael Appleton. At England, he was involved in the appointments of Hodgson, Allardyce and Southgate. At Brighton, he was no doubt involved in Potter, which is his only obvious hit. Further, as someone who works in the space, I have found his data appointments here pretty disappointing. I don’t have enough information to properly assess him, but I don’t get what’s so obviously excellent about him.

Likewise.  I’m never trusting of being told someone is fantastic with little data or information to support why that person is so fantastic.  Interested to note that you’re unimpressed by his data analysis appointments (and I imagine you’d have been very much casting your eyes across that).  Didn’t you mention previously that Liverpool’s team was Harvard PhD types, and ours … weren’t?