Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

Would be pathetic by the club to accept the same fee as we paid Brighton. Even £10m is low ball, but if we spend it on another talent like Minteh, then worth it in the long run. 

23 minutes ago, Zero said:

I think they are caught off-guard by the garden leave and compensation stuff. If they had knew it right from the beginning I can see them go for someone else

I couldn't disagree more. 

2 hours ago, GeordieT said:

Far from encouraging from Mark Douglas this morning. Hope we hold firm.

The old both sides reporting?

Manure -"closer to 3m"

Newcastle - "closer to 20m"

In reality it will be undisclosed and somewhere in the middle for everyone to save face.

3 hours ago, GeordieT said:

Far from encouraging from Mark Douglas this morning. Hope we hold firm.

He says Man Utd reckon they should pay £3m compo and we’ve said no chance 

And the article is probably just clueless journo bullshit anyway 

Why the negativity 

Edited by bobbydazzla

1 hour ago, Zero said:

I think they are caught off-guard by the garden leave and compensation stuff. If they had knew it right from the beginning I can see them go for someone else

No chance.

2 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Mitchell is good but I share other people's concerns about his longevity at clubs. We need someone that's going to he here for 10 years.

His record at Monaco is ... not great? 

Well never know the actual figure in reality as it will no doubt be tied up under NDAs and the like. The money here is pretty irrelevant to us, so we should be making this as long winded and difficult for Man U as possible

15 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Mitchell is good but I share other people's concerns about his longevity at clubs. We need someone that's going to he here for 10 years.

Do we? We need somebody to see us through the next few years. 

10 years is a LONG time, has any club had a director of football for that long?

Edited by Jack27

13 minutes ago, Jagten said:

His record at Monaco is ... not great? 

Think you have counter that with the massive change is philosophy they had - gone from spending big to a focus on young talent and promotion from the academy - the remit was more youth based, something I don’t believe he had done before - more of a rounding of his skill set 

3 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Do we? We need somebody to see us through the next few years. 

10 years is a LONG time, has any club had a director of football for that long?

Fair enough I was going to say 5-10. 5 is a minimum though imo. We do need consistency. Whether the person lasts that long is different to whether they are committed to the long term. I'm not necessarily saying Ashworth didn't come here committed to the long term either, situations come up and circumstances change. It's just unfortunate when we need consistency to see a vision though. That takes 5-10 years, all being well.

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

Fair enough I was going to say 5-10. 5 is a minimum though imo. We do need consistency. Whether the person lasts that long is different to whether they are committed to the long term. I'm not necessarily saying Ashworth didn't come here committed to the long term either, situations come up and circumstances change. It's just unfortunate when we need consistency to see a vision though. That takes 5-10 years, all being well.

I do agree we need consistency for the next five years, whoever that is needs to have a clear mandate on what the club want to achieve though. Exciting times ahead, the links I’ve seen so far show we are going for somebody right at the top of the game

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

You could argue that 3 years (6 good transfer windows) could set us up for 10 years 

1 minute ago, Mikky said:

Think you have counter that with the massive change is philosophy they had - gone from spending big to a focus on young talent and promotion from the academy - the remit was more youth based, something I don’t believe he had done before - more of a rounding of his skill set 

They are still one of the most well-capitalised clubs in France and have spent a lot of money, if not offset by a few large sales. In his three years as sporting director they spent over 200m euros (huge for the France) and appointed four managers. Very few of those decisions look, right now, especially successful.

14 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

You could argue that 3 years (6 good transfer windows) could set us up for 10 years 

As long as the appointments move us forward I suppose it doesn't matter. There will always be talented names interested, especially if we are still moving forward as a club. We have money, ambition and potential. Just depends if we have an adopted club vision/identity and we stick to that rather than resetting If new people come in. I think the former is the goal.

41 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Phil Giles is the best option from people I've seen linked to us. 

Why don't we get the best of both worlds and employ Phil Mitchell

15 minutes ago, 1964 said:

Why don't we get the best of both worlds and employ Phil Mitchell

As well? Sure, if its an option but if I had to choose one it'd be Giles.

Edited by Thumbheed