Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

11 minutes ago, buzza said:

Hahahaha... honestly can't believe people are blaming ashworth now for a couple of losses, before these our signings were 8/9 out of ten.

Fickle fans? 

I gave at a six and said we failed to improve on key ares and other teams around us have done better.

4 hours ago, Paulinho said:

Our business this calendar year has been extremely weird (£150m on guileless Englishman), but I doubt it’s Ashworth driving it.

Aye it’s definitely Howe driving it. Not a criticism or anything at all of them could potentially turn out to be top class signings 

Which one of the English players we’ve signed is guileless? 

The guy who just won player of a major tournament playing false 9 for England? The one who got hatfuls of goals and assists even in a relegation team? The young LB who’s also a midfielder? The young RB who’s one of the most dynamic and highly rated players in his position? 

Absolute horseshit. 

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Which one of the English players we’ve signed is guileless? 

The guy who just won player of a major tournament playing false 9 for England? The one who got hatfuls of goals and assists even in a relegation team? The young LB who’s also a midfielder? The young RB who’s one of the most dynamic and highly rated players in his position? 

Absolute horseshit. 

I’ve been impressed with Gordon but he’s not a player with guile. Neither is Barnes. There’s an article and comp of Barnes just calling him efficient. 

The other 2 do have a bit of guile…. For fullbacks.  We’ve not added much guile to our playing team. 

None of them are Bruno G or Isak in terms of guile. 

Love how the footballing intelligence of the English players has already been assessed when three of them haven’t even started a match yet.

How the fuck could you know if they ‘lack guile’ until you’ve actually watched them play a bit?

edit: it’s three of them.  Ffs

Edited by TheBrownBottle

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Love how the footballing intelligence of the English players has already been assessed when three of them haven’t even started a match yet.

How the fuck could you know if they ‘lack guile’ until you’ve actually watched them play a bit?

edit: it’s three of them.  Ffs

Do you not have an opinion on Harvey Barnes or Anthony Gordon? I don’t think guile is a word either would be described with. 

The young lads have it. But they are barely playing so it doesn’t really matter.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Do you not have an opinion on Harvey Barnes or Anthony Gordon? I don’t think guile is a word either would be described with. 

The young lads have it. But they are barely playing so it doesn’t really matter.

I don’t think I’d describe Bruno or Isak as having it if Gordon doesn’t.  Gordon has the deceptive intelligence to buy fouls and trick opposition players.  

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I don’t think I’d describe Bruno or Isak as having it if Gordon doesn’t.  Gordon has the deceptive intelligence to buy fouls and trick opposition players.  

Think we are not using the word in the same way. Literally you are correct. In an English footballing context guile is used to mean ‘cuteness’, real footballing ability, skill, the ability to open up a tough defence with ‘a bit of guile’. You put guile and football into google and it talks about players like Mahrez and Ginola. A silky player like Isak or Bruno. 

If anything happens to Trippier like it did when he first joined, people are moaning at Manquillo and Krafth being the options left. I know Targett played yesterday, but you'd think in a few weeks when he's match fit that'll be Hall in the team. We have a group of around 18-19 now where I'm happy with starting any game. Still a few weaknesses but that's always going to happen when you're only 5 windows on from what was a squad not fit for purpose in this league.

Here's the squad which PIF and Howe inherited.

Screenshot_20230903-065621.png

They had to lower the age of the squad that is undeniable, the question is have they got value for money going for young British players like Hall, Barnes, Gordon and Livramento.

Time will tell but they’ve spent nigh on 150 million on those 4 players. 

Apart from Tonali I feel there’s been a marked shift in the last 2 transfer windows, which compares similarly to the route Howe went with Bournemouth.

I was a little uncomfortable when Andy Howe became part of the transfer committee, never sure that’s a good idea.

Individually apart from Barnes I’m happy with all the signings ability wise, not sure we’ve got the strategy right this summer though.

Edited by Whitley mag

4 hours ago, Zero said:

Look at the age of our first team and if you think Ashworth is wrong to buy youngsters with potential then may be let’s just end the discussion.

i dont think people have an issue with that. i think its the amount we spent on potential rather than than first teamers.

hopefully both of them will be starters soon. i dont think howe will play both together though.