Fantasy Premier League 2023/24

JP

10 hours ago, joeyt said:

Fantasy football has been around for years, why do you think the popularity of it has soared in the last few years?

When did it start? 2004? I think it's been popular in this country for a while, but seemingly as the PL has exploded abroad fairly recently FPL participation has there too, so it's just a bigger beast.

10 hours ago, joeyt said:

Fantasy football has been around for years, why do you think the popularity of it has soared in the last few years?

Think the advancements of technology has helped, look at the amount of FF youtube channels there is around now.

You probably have more people working on computers these days aswell, and work leagues are quite popular.

26 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’ve been doing it since about 1995 when you had to photocopy the page from the Telegraph. Used to hold a live auction at school as well :lol:

I think the PL getting their own league was a big factor. 

And smartphone apps. 

I started in the Sun years ago when you gad to dial your team in on the land line, we had a spinny dial as well so it took ages, god knows what the phone bill was.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’ve been doing it since about 1995 when you had to photocopy the page from the Telegraph. Used to hold a live auction at school as well :lol:

I think the PL getting their own league was a big factor. 

And smartphone apps. 

Aye. Think it was about 94/95 for me. 40p postal order or something.

I used to do a play-by-mail league as well, where you would submit your team sheet for a weekly fixture, do transfers, the whole lot. 

Basically Football Manager by post. You’d even get phone calls on your Mam’s landline from other managers trying to do deals :lol:

Managed Wimbledon to the Premier League title with Klinsmann up front, not too shabby. 

I’m honestly not even that old. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

3 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I used to do a play-by-mail league as well, where you would submit your team sheet for a weekly fixture, do transfers, the whole lot. 

Basically Football Manager by post. You’d even get phone calls on your Mam’s landline from other managers trying to do deals :lol:

Managed Wimbledon to the Premier League title with Klinsmann up front, not too shabby. 

I’m honestly not even that old. 

I managed Luton, it was fantastic, I still have all of the booklets in the loft. I don't know why that format hasn't been taken up by Football Manager,  each season would take ages but a real time Football manager where your doing transfer deals and playing against real people would be great I would definitely sign up.