Nick Pope

Rich

14 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I know there's more going on and I may be simplifying the issue but I think we've probably underestimated this bloke's contribution to our entire set-up. The difference in shot-stopping is one thing but it can't be a coincidence that our defenders have lost their confidence and structure since he exited the side. Aside from a half against Milan we've not played well since he got injured. 

He faces so few 1v1s because if the pass is a bit off or the first touch is poor Pope is out to get the ball. 

1 hour ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Felt like Dubs was worth a look until Jan to prove his worth but he's been shite. We need different things from a 'keeper from when he was #1. 

Would definitely go for a 'keeper this Jan. Surely sacking one of the reserve GKs off would be relatively inexpensive.

He's barely done anything wrong :lol:

Majority of our goals are down to shit defending/ Trippier.

The defence/Trippier hasn't just started making mistakes. Most defences do. You're not punished for them as regularly as this ordinarily. As good as some of our results have been this and last season, without Pope, were not rueing injury time dodgy penalties against PSG.

1 minute ago, Jonas said:

The defence/Trippier hasn't just started making mistakes. Most defences do. You're not punished for them as regularly as this ordinarily. As good as some of our results have been this and last season, without Pope, were not rueing injury time dodgy penalties against PSG.

Yeah, they've been doing it all fucking month, to the point 8 goals are directly Trippier's fault and no one elses.

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Yep. It doesn't let him off the hook but there's a chance that Trippier's Everton howlers don't happen with Pope in there. If you assess the impact of each injury we'll probably look back at Pope's as the worst.

Its definitely a factor I feel. At the level were talking about that sort minutea could be huge if we recall the levels we played at having belief or otherwise in a keeper does make us play differently. Even if that keeper is a top keeper if he's shot as a defender you cant not be aware of it like when an outfield player hs to take up a position, you'd hoof the c*nt out for a throw in rather than pass back even though its an outfield player, out of sheer percentages.

31 minutes ago, Aiston said:

He's barely done anything wrong :lol:

Majority of our goals are down to shit defending/ Trippier.

Barely done anything wrong? He’s been a bit better of late. But he was wank his first three games. Then he was much improved for a bit, 2-3 games was it? But today he was glued to his line again and reverted back to being glued to his line. 

You like pointing out that Trippier has been at fault for 8 goals. Rightly so. But Dubs was shit for 2 at Everton, 2, possibly 3 against Spurs and the second against Milan. 

But other than that. He’s barely done anything wrong :lol: 

4 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I know there's more going on and I may be simplifying the issue but I think we've probably underestimated this bloke's contribution to our entire set-up. The difference in shot-stopping is one thing but it can't be a coincidence that our defenders have lost their confidence and structure since he exited the side. Aside from a half against Milan we've not played well since he got injured. 

100%, I thought this would be the case. It's not just the obvious saves, it's the largely unnoticed communication and organisation. He makes them look better, and conversely, now they look worse than they are.

19 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Barely done anything wrong? He’s been a bit better of late. But he was wank his first three games. Then he was much improved for a bit, 2-3 games was it? But today he was glued to his line again and reverted back to being glued to his line. 

You like pointing out that Trippier has been at fault for 8 goals. Rightly so. But Dubs was shit for 2 at Everton, 2, possibly 3 against Spurs and the second against Milan. 

But other than that. He’s barely done anything wrong :lol: 

As if you are blaming the Milan goal and two Spurs goals hit from approx 3 yards out on Dubs man [emoji38] 

Spending money on a keeper in January would be a waste of money unless we're buying Popes replacement. Dubravka is perfectly fine until Pope is back, and actually a bit refreshing to see a keeper who can do one touch passing without shitting his pants.

Can Pope be relied on to come back after a 2nd shoulder operation, it was a routine save when it popped out again. I’m no medical expert but id

be concerned there’s a major weakness now that will always put him at risk going forward.

I think we need to be thinking long term replacement now unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I actually thought Dubravka had a good game yesterday was surprised he was getting stick. :lol:

He was poor positionally and goes to ground far too quickly.  The gaps between him and the back line are part of what allows Wood to score goals two and three.  Goalkeeping isn’t just about making saves. 

12 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Spending money on a keeper in January would be a waste of money unless we're buying Popes replacement. Dubravka is perfectly fine until Pope is back, and actually a bit refreshing to see a keeper who can do one touch passing without shitting his pants.

Pope’s replacement should be priority no. 1 in the window.  Our defence has went to shite without Pope.

I’ll never understand how football fans underrate the importance of the goalkeeper. 

1 hour ago, jonny1403 said:

As if you are blaming the Milan goal and two Spurs goals hit from approx 3 yards out on Dubs man [emoji38] 

The penalty and the second Richarlison goal not his fault? Of course they were. 

The second Milan goal was up the middle of the goal. He did his usual dive where he makes himself smaller and gets stuck underneath the ball. 

He is finished as a starting keeper at this level and needs upgrading ASAP. 

• 4 weeks later...