Nick Pope

Rich

Signing De Gea until the end of the season seems like a no-brainer if he would come. He's still a great shot stopper and he isn't any worse on the ball than Pope, few months younger than Dubravka too.

20 minutes ago, OCK said:

De Gea, Ramsdale, Mendy... wtf, are we just naming goal keepers that are erratic and unpredictable? [emoji38]

I can’t get over Mendy, mind. He’s an absolute clown. Dubravka isn’t great but at least he’s generally solid.

2 hours ago, Pata said:

Signing De Gea until the end of the season seems like a no-brainer if he would come. He's still a great shot stopper and he isn't any worse on the ball than Pope, few months younger than Dubravka too.

He was on £350k a week at Man U. How much would he take to come here? A lot more than what Pope's on I'd imagine. Dubravka is far from perfect but he's in the top 5 of reserve keepers in the PL in my opinion.

20 minutes ago, Beth said:

He was on £350k a week at Man U. How much would he take to come here? A lot more than what Pope's on I'd imagine. Dubravka is far from perfect but he's in the top 5 of reserve keepers in the PL in my opinion.

Yes, that would make the most sense and he is a PL quality keeper. 

Edit: For clarity, going with Dubs makes perfect sense. 

Edited by McDog

53 minutes ago, Beth said:

If he wants to play, I could see him signing for something like £150k a week which wouldn't be that bad for half a season. He's only 33, having a good half season with us would help him to get another multi-year contract somewhere. Everything obviously depends on his motivation, he's set for life and could easily just retire but if he still has the hunger, a smaller wage with a top team like us would make a ton of sense for both us and him. IMO the fact that he hasn't signed a big money deal to some Saudi team indicates that he's been waiting for an opening somewhere and still wants to play at high level (or he's just ready to retire :lol:).

I'm alright giving Dubravka games now to show he can be relied upon but if he's shaky DDG would be a perfect short term solution without having to pay a fee and him failing to get a new deal anywhere works in our favour on his wage demands. @Froggy still rated him during last season IIRC.

Edited by Pata

7 minutes ago, Pata said:

If he wants to play, I could see him signing for something like £150k a week which wouldn't be that bad for half a season. He's only 33, having a good half season with us would help him to get another multi-year contract somewhere. Everything obviously depends on his motivation, he's set for life and could easily just retire but if he still has the hunger, a smaller wage with a top team like us would make a ton of sense for both us and him. IMO the fact that he hasn't signed a big money deal to some Saudi team indicates that he's been waiting for an opening somewhere and still wants to play at high level (or he's just ready to retire :lol:).

I'm alright giving Dubravka games now to show he can be relied upon but if he's shaky DDG would be a perfect short term solution without having to pay a fee and him failing to get a new deal anywhere works in our favour on his wage demands. @Froggy still rated him during last season IIRC.

We won’t be paying him anything close to those figures. He was living it up at Man United but the only place he will command such wages is Saudi. 

I honestly don't think it would be that bad for a six month deal and wouldn't cause turmoil in the dressing room due to the emergency nature of it. I don't really care if Dubravka, Karius or Gillespie are pissed about it, Dubs already had his moment when he wanted to leave to Man Utd and the others never expect to see any match action outside of the bench.

We've had 2 and 3 keepers on our bench for at least a month now. :lol: It would be extremely harsh on them if we were to bring in a short term replacement for Pope.

If we did that, I wouldn't blame either of them if they would try to force themselves out of the club in January. If that is how low they were rated, you've got to ask questions of the management team why we even bothered keeping on Dubravka and extending the contract with Karius.

I'm hoping that these rumours of replacements are just agents sniffing out a possible chance for their clients. I'm quite happy for Dubs to be given a solid chance to prove himself. I think he has the character to do it.

Karius as the number two bothers me more. but we may just have to lump it until the end of the season.

36 minutes ago, Conjo said:

We've had 2 and 3 keepers on our bench for at least a month now. :lol: It would be extremely harsh on them if we were to bring in a short term replacement for Pope.

If we did that, I wouldn't blame either of them if they would try to force themselves out of the club in January. If that is how low they were rated, you've got to ask questions of the management team why we even bothered keeping on Dubravka and extending the contract with Karius.

It may be harsh on them, but we've had 2/3 keepers on the bench purely to make a point of injuries. If it continues I'd rather have DeGea sitting on our bench than Gillespie, as I do agree that Dubs deserves his chance and has been mostly reliable in his whole time here. I'd happily wager most on here have seen more of de gea playing than either karius or gillespie.

Regardless...this lot seem to generally know what they're doing with transfers. The only really major balls up coming with Tonali

I easily take De Gea for 6 months. Dubs have some games untill the window open to make the place his, and its up to him to lose the place. 

De Gea kept 17 clean sheets in the Premier League and got the Premier League Golden Glove last season. So he cant be all that bad. 

Howe is all about the team spirit and chemistry which he has carefully cultivated. I don't see him signing a stop-gap coming in as a mercenary. Dubravka is an OK Premier League keeper who knows the group and has trained with them week in week out. Quite a few questioned the signing of Pope when we already had Dubravka.

De Gea has a higher ceiling of course, but would he settle straight in immediately with a defence he's never trained with? Maybe, but there's just as much risk of disruption there. I think we'll run with it, providing Dubravka doesn't have a shocker December. 

The main concern with Dubravka was always more his injuries than his ability. Pope commands the box better but Dubravka is better with the ball at his feet. 

13 hours ago, Beth said:

He has not played for a while no?  Would take him a while to get up to speed.  Really not sure on him personally. 

7 games until the window opens, so plenty of time to see how Dubs is getting on.  I would personally stick with what we have unless he is having a howler.  Somehow I think he will really want to step up and prove himself again.  The whole team is really playing for each other, so think he will give a good account of himself.