James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

1 minute ago, Foxedup said:

Depends on the makeup of the contract. 

Unless Leicester is his boyhood dream club, I think he'll want a crack with one of the big boys.

Can't see Madison ending up here tbh. 

Nice to be linked with some of the promising youth in the PL but still think it's too early in the game for us. 

We seemingly have money, but everything else is fucking tinpot still. Some players will buy the dream and some (like Maddison imo) are ready to seal their move to a top club.

I'm likely wrong tbh.

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

Unless Leicester is his boyhood dream club, I think he'll want a crack with one of the big boys.

So do I, but I think it’s getting to the point we have to start considering allowing set buy out fees in contracts again (we refused them since losing Kante).

28 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Did the harrison "bid" go on the SSN ticker too? 

Interesting to see how much truth is in this. We don't tend to bid unless we think we are close to getting it accepted. 

No one reliable verified the Harrison bid. Waugh quoted a Leeds correspondent, but didn't put his name to it. Pretty much every source you'd want has now reported this.

I don't think there is any doubt that Maddison is at least interested in us, or we wouldn't have bid.

The issue is entirely on whether us and Leicester can find a middle ground.

36 minutes ago, STM said:

I don't think there is any doubt that Maddison is at least interested in us, or we wouldn't have bid.

The issue is entirely on whether us and Leicester can find a middle ground.

Depends how much they need the money. 45m with add one to 55m Maybe. It would end up being undisclosed and the Leicester press saying it was nearer 60 and our press saying nearer 40, like normal.

Pretty public knowledge bid with it on bbc and Sky. We would know 40 isn't close to their valuation. We have also waited a bit while the top 6 have spent on players which might put them off going after Maddison with a bigger fee and us in the driving seat if he wants to come.  Could also be flushing interest out so he goes elsewhere meaning we get a cleaner run at someone else.

I'll be honest, this kid is mustard and a complete shithouse. He's exactly the sort of player an aspiring European outfit should be targeting.

If Ashworth and Co get this done, it's mega impressive.

Don't think you go in with £40m then just drop it immediately once they, correctly, reject it out of hand. If they were prepared to drop 40 then they'll be back in this week with 48+. Once the numbers get that big then a deal becomes more likely as the 2 sides edge closer. Not saying it'll definitely happen but this is the start of it, not the end of it imo

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

As I said earlier I personally feel we enquired for Barnes and where Instead encouraged about Maddison being available.

I wonder if there has been a breakdown in relations between him and Rodgers. It does seem odd but Rodgers may prefer Barnes as a character or something.

1 minute ago, STM said:

I wonder if there has been a breakdown in relations between him and Rodgers. It does seem odd but Rodgers may prefer Barnes as a character or something.

He also only has 2 years left on his deal, this is their last chance to get big money for him assuming he doesn’t sign a new deal 

1 minute ago, STM said:

I think Leicester are aware he’s one of their more saleable assets and they’re hamstrung until they shift bodies. He’d be a big loss to them, but if they’re that stuffed by FFP better to shift one that a handful.

11 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

He also only has 2 years left on his deal, this is their last chance to get big money for him assuming he doesn’t sign a new deal 

I didn't know that tbh. That is very significant.

In terms of it being unrealistic and other big six clubs coming in for him. Who?

Arsenal just spent big on two players playing CM/AM.

Chelsea are pretty well stocked with Gallagher apparently being pushed.

Liverpool... maybe? But they have spent a bit already and brought in a highly rated young AM.

Manure brought in Eriksen

Man City are very well stocked too.

Certainly clubs outside the UK would likely be interested but is he interested in moving abroad?

Would be an amazing signing. Even at 60m. He would transform us in many ways. Can’t get a more guaranteed “gonna be class” type of player. More or less no risk whatsoever. 

Edited by Ikon