James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

That could have applied to Wijnaldum and Sissoko here, but they went on to do well and played in a Champions League Final against each other not long after. If Maddison has downed tools but fancies playing for us in a Champions League Final within 3 years then cool. 

20 minutes ago, Manxst said:

From Leicester fans on FoxesTalk from the last few months: 

“It beggers belief that some clubs will buy our players because the way they have acted the last couple of months is totally unprofessional”

“Madders is coasting to his move. No effort or desire at all. Not interested in saving us because mentally he has moved on.”

“He needs to be gone. He’s been crap for a while. Lots of fancy Dan solo wandering”

“Tottenham is the perfect club for him they don’t show up either when the going gets tough either! Ever since his England call up for the World Cup he’s head ain’t been here he’s been poor”

“I'll not be too sorry to lose this show pony.  I won't miss him sat on his backside with his arms in the air appealing for a foul, his slow walks to take a corner or his pirouettes wasting time when others have made promising runs. He's a talented player without doubt but currently provides very little.”

“Way him, Tielemans, Soumare, Ndidi, n Barnes played yesterday cant wait to see the back of them”

That just sounds like he's checked out playing for Leicester, not that he's always been lazy. I would also add Leicester themselves have checked out as a club, they have invested very little in the last 12 months, is it that surprising players aren't motivated?

Just looked at his PL goal contributions this season.

Spoiler

2-2 Brentford -  1 assist from corner.

2-4 Arsenal - 1 goal from tight angle in the box. Good finish.

1-2 Southampton - 1 goal from free kick.

4-2 N.Forest - 2 goals, 1 assist - 1st goal from open play, deflected shot. 2nd goal free kick. Assist pass from edge of box into feet of Daka.

4-0 Wolves - 1 goal. Great goal dribbling past 2 wolves players and slotting the ball bottom corner. Leicester already up 2-0 at this point.

2-0 Everton - 2 assists. 1st assist lays ball off for Tielemans from 20+ meter and he rockets the ball into top bin. 2nd assist runs with the ball down the left wing, plays it 45 to Barnes who scores.

2-0 West Ham - 1 goal. Barnes & regen guy combining on the left near west ham box, sends it into box for Daka who seems to mishit the ball and it ends up to Maddison lurking on far post and finishes it well.

4-2 Villa - 1 goal. Regen guy wins the ball back from high press inside Villas box (think it's from a short goal kick), passes it to Ihenachio who passes it to Maddison who dribbles ball past a Villa player and slots the ball into open net.

4-1 Tottenham - 1 goal, 1 assist. 1st goal Ihenachio is played through with three spurs defenders around him, passes it out left to a completely unmarked Maddison who finishes bottom near corner. Assist is a 2m pass to Barnes outside of the box who places ball beautifully in the bottom far corner from about 18m.

1-1 Brentford - 1 assist. Nice through ball into the box to Barnes. First assist I've seen to say he can unlock defenses who is trying to strangle the game.

1-1 Leeds - 1 assist. On the break, dribbles nicely past one Leeds defender and puts Vardy through on goal.

2-2 Everton - 1 assist. On the break. Plays Vardy through alone on goal.

3-5 Fulham - 1goal, 1 assist.  1st assist lays it off from inside the box to Barnes who smashes it into near corner. Goal from penalty.

From the 10 goals, 3 are from free kicks and 1 penalty.

From the 9 assists, I was surprised to see only 1 was from set pieces. Would have guessed it was more. There were a couple of "soft" ones where he just plays a simple pass for one of his team mates to score a wordly though.

It was really only the assists against Brentford and Everton where he showed the ability to unlock an opposition defense in a way where I thought probably only Bruno and Willock would be able to spot and make the same pass in our side. 

It was only the goal from open play against Wolves where he made the goal for himself.

Main thing I'm left with is that despite a good number of goal contributions, he is nothing special. Looks more like a midfield equivalent of the old goal poacher. Can he serve a purpose here, sure. He would improve the squad, but I don't think he improves our strongest 11. I'm also sure with our new scouting network maturing we should be able to find someone way more useful at same or better price. 

To those playing the Wijnaldum card, remember that Wijnaldum was in his first season in England when he was with us. He was a regular international and captain for Feyenoord before he joined us. He was also used in a completely different role at Liverpool, Feyenoord and Netherlands than he was with us (probably because of the Norwich game). It's not comparable or realistic to expect Maddison to improve the same way Wijnaldum did.

Maddison has consistently got those sorts of numbers beyond this season, though.  

75 assists and goals in 163 games. Not far off a 1 in 2 contribution. 

I don't think we've had a midfielder/winger/playmaker with that sort of output including Robert, Solano, etc. I don't see one reason not to buy him. 

26 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Reveal hidden contents

4-2 N.Forest - 2 goals, 1 assist - 1st goal from open play, deflected shot. 2nd goal free kick. Assist pass from edge of box into feet of Daka.

4-0 Wolves - 1 goal. Great goal dribbling past 2 wolves players and slotting the ball bottom corner. Leicester already up 2-0 at this point.

2-0 Everton - 2 assists. 1st assist lays ball off for Tielemans from 20+ meter and he rockets the ball into top bin. 2nd assist runs with the ball down the left wing, plays it 45 to Barnes who scores.

2-0 West Ham - 1 goal. Barnes & regen guy combining on the left near west ham box, sends it into box for Daka who seems to mishit the ball and it ends up to Maddison lurking on far post and finishes it well.

4-2 Villa - 1 goal. Regen guy wins the ball back from high press inside Villas box (think it's from a short goal kick), passes it to Ihenachio who passes it to Maddison who dribbles ball past a Villa player and slots the ball into open net.

4-1 Tottenham - 1 goal, 1 assist. 1st goal Ihenachio is played through with three spurs defenders around him, passes it out left to a completely unmarked Maddison who finishes bottom near corner. Assist is a 2m pass to Barnes outside of the box who places ball beautifully in the bottom far corner from about 18m.

1-1 Brentford - 1 assist. Nice through ball into the box to Barnes. First assist I've seen to say he can unlock defenses who is trying to strangle the game.

1-1 Leeds - 1 assist. On the break, dribbles nicely past one Leeds defender and puts Vardy through on goal.

3-5 Fulham - 1goal, 1 assist.  1st assist lays it off from inside the box to Barnes who smashes it into near corner. Goal from penalty.

From the 9 assists, I was surprised to see only 1 was from set pieces. Would have guessed it was more. There were a couple of "soft" ones where he just plays a simple pass for one of his team mates to score a wordly though.

It was really only the assists against Brentford and Everton where he showed the ability to unlock an opposition defense in a way where I thought probably only Bruno and Willock would be able to spot and make the same pass in our side. 

It was only the goal from open play against Wolves where he made the goal for himself.

Main thing I'm left with is that despite a good number of goal contributions, he is nothing special. Looks more like a midfield equivalent of the old goal poacher. Can he serve a purpose here, sure. He would improve the squad, but I don't think he improves our strongest 11. I'm also sure with our new scouting network maturing we should be able to find someone way more useful at same or better price. 

To those playing the Wijnaldum card, remember that Wijnaldum was in his first season in England when he was with us. He was a regular international and captain for Feyenoord before he joined us. He was also used in a completely different role at Liverpool, Feyenoord and Netherlands than he was with us (probably because of the Norwich game). It's not comparable or realistic to expect Maddison to improve the same way Wijnaldum did.

Take it from a Leicester fan who’s watched him play for the last four seasons, he’s quality and easily good enough for you/another top 4 club. He’s second to Mahrez in terms of talent I’ve seen at the club and we know  what’s he gone on to do. 

In your analysis you also don’t explain why Maddison comes off better than other players (at better performing clubs too).

Edited by LCFC01

2 minutes ago, LCFC01 said:

Take it from a Leicester fan who’s watched him play for the last four seasons, he’s quality and easily good enough for you/another top 4 club. He’s second to Mahrez in terms of talent I’ve seen at the club and we know  what’s he gone on to do. 

In your analysis you also don’t explain why Maddison comes off better than other players (at better performing clubs too).

Good luck next season, hope you come back up. 

Part-ex for Ryan Fraser? Reckon he'd do well at the top end of the Championship.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

He’ll cost you about £40m with some add ons now I think. We’ll be spending time in the wilderness, lots of our fans have turned on the owner who (understandably) is a shadow of his late father. 

1 hour ago, TRon said:

That just sounds like he's checked out playing for Leicester, not that he's always been lazy. I would also add Leicester themselves have checked out as a club, they have invested very little in the last 12 months, is it that surprising players aren't motivated?

Wouldn’t disagree with you on the topic- it’s just where the ‘lazy’ stuff has come from- Leicester fans.

2 hours ago, STM said:

In fairness, this has to be Dan Ashworth Mark II, as much as Brighton have done fantastically well... I don't want the same model here.

That’s a good point.

17 minutes ago, LCFC01 said:

He’ll cost you about £40m with some add ons now I think. We’ll be spending time in the wilderness, lots of our fans have turned on the owner who (understandably) is a shadow of his late father. 

Sad if that's the case. PL needs more Leicesters. 

36 minutes ago, LCFC01 said:

Your club is my dad’s club, he lived there in the 70s - went to uni there, went to home matches, and I’ll always have soft spot for you guys. Hope you come back up swiftly pal. 

2 hours ago, BennyBlanco said:

Tug of war between us and Spurs apparently. Sounds slightly obvious but if he takes the move to spurs in the state they’re in now purely for the London factor then it shows his character and we don’t want him here anyway. 

Not meaning to fuel any pile on on Maddison, but there's no player in the world I'd respect for going to Spurs over us in a straight fight right now, never mind him.

35 minutes ago, LCFC01 said:

What's your view on his character overall?

Like others have said, surely Leicester would be interested in Fraser or Lewis to sweeten the deal. Neither of them are going to get a Premier League club coming in for them.

5 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Tbh Leicester were no more than a bottom premiership / good championship side before those few years of success, back in their true position now really. Id still love Maddison at Newcastle.

They had a good spell late 90s too tbf under O'Neill punching above their weight. A couple of League Cup wins, safe comfortably most years with some decent players like Izzet, Lennon, Guppy, Heskey, Elliott. Probably the 6th most successful club in the PL era behind Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal and they did it spending pretty modestly. 

1 hour ago, Conjo said:

Reveal hidden contents

If/when Maddison signs, he will be one of the first names on the teamsheet.  I said exactly the same when Pope signed and people were shitting themselves because Dubravka would be dropped.  Can you honestly not spot a class player?

40 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Like others have said, surely Leicester would be interested in Fraser or Lewis to sweeten the deal. Neither of them are going to get a Premier League club coming in for them.

Isn't relegation difficult enough? Why give them either of those two to rub salt in the wounds?

2 hours ago, Conjo said:

Reveal hidden contents

Sure but then you’d need to look at every great pass he plays that doesn’t get converted. It’s not really a fair judgment. 

4 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

Sure but then you’d need to look at every great pass he plays that doesn’t get converted. It’s not really a fair judgment. 

And then do the same with every similar player with similar figures to see how their goals and assists come about.