James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

Weren’t St Etienne one of, if not the biggest club in France at one point?

Yes. Mid 60s to 80s they were like the French version of Liverpool domestically. Couldn't seem to do it in Europe which was a shame until the late 70s when they started to reach the latter stages of the European Cup. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

30 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Yes. Mid 60s to 80s they were like the French version of Liverpool domestically. Couldn't seem to do it in Europe which was a shame until the late 70s when they started to reach the latter stages of the European Cup. 

How do you know all this?

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I used to live there so studied up on them before moving. Platini and Johnny Rep legends. 

Harold Rivers was one of their first managers, and he was from Walbottle.

There ends my knowledge of any Newcastle-St Etienne connection. 

17 hours ago, madras said:

That would make me a Newcastle, Spurs, Burnley, Ajax, AC Milan, PSV, St Etienne and Nantes fan who liked Northern Ireland and Argentina.

It’s still more proof than I could find of him supposedly being an arsenal fan.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Harold Rivers was one of their first managers, and he was from Walbottle.

There ends my knowledge of any Newcastle-St Etienne connection. 

There is another connection but I really dont want to bring it up.

15 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

As a kid my first club shirt was an Everton one. Primarily because the sponsor "Nec" was then vernacular for 'getting off' and was different to the Man United and Liverpool shirts.  Definitely cant read into that.

Just leave - you’re dead to me 😵

11 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

Having another English team's shirt from the upper tiers is completely unacceptable like if you're from the area. I never saw that as a kid apart from kids who actually supported other teams for whatever reason, usually parents (believe our school had one mackem, one Man City, two Liverpool - one legit and one glory). Other leagues is fine.

My nana did buy me the whole Tottenham team set of those figures with big heads. But that was cos she thought they were England. But I support Scotland anyway so I told her where she could shove them (not in those words but I did get them sent back...).

A rather fetching late 70s full Scotland kit (even though English) and a holibobs special Barcelona top were my only deviations from Newcastle kit. Went from FKW to tops only (and only replacing them every few seasons) at about 15. 

5 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I used to live there so studied up on them before moving. Platini and Johnny Rep legends. 

Rep played against for Bastia. Always remember my dad telling me the story how they came out on the pitch very early to acclimatise to the SJP atmosphere and conditions. Mustn’t of been that common in those days. Also remember him describing the goals Rep scored against. Was nice many years later actually seeing the footage for myself.

33 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Rep played against for Bastia. Always remember my dad telling me the story how they came out on the pitch very early to acclimatise to the SJP atmosphere and conditions. Mustn’t of been that common in those days. Also remember him describing the goals Rep scored against. Was nice many years later actually seeing the footage for myself.

I remember listening to this song on the local radio there. 

https://open.spotify.com/track/6B46eaO13NPlCtrSeHZynz?si=fq9NXJdhQI6GhPcudYNwvQ

Edited by Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

My first European match.

Was in the East Stand paddock, can remember Johnny Rep's 30 yard goal as if it was yesterday.

4 hours ago, LFEE said:

Was at that game. Can only remember Johnny Rep planting it in the top corner though. Cracking goal mind

I was lucky enough to hang out in a private secret box at Sam Fender's gig at St. James' Park with James Maddison last night. We talked about our preferred hair gel and a little bit about how we're doing in Diablo 4, but at no point did the conversation steer towards him joining Newcastle United. In hindsight, I should have asked him, but I found his rogue build in Diablo 4 rather insightful. Take that for what its worth.