James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

Think about our home matches against Bournemouth, Leeds, and Leicester.

Now do you see how he fits our style of play?

There'll be a lot more games like that next season.

Edited by Kid Icarus

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Not sure how running straight into defenders and not releasing the ball fits our style of play. 

I do know he's got goals, must be mainly free kicks. 

Other thing I don't like about him is every time he thinks he's made it his foot comes straight off the pedal and he coasts. Every. Single. Time. 

I do not like him.

He's got ability, sure. His attitude doesn't seem right. All about me.

Now Barnes I'd take instantly. He's direct, pacey, works hard and doesn't strut about like he's already made it. 

9 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

This is the thing, what this season has shown is that we have struggled to switch up how we play when teams don’t want to open up, so while we need midfielders who can press against the top teams we also need those that have other attributes that can unlock sides.

We need that ability to swap from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1 to offer more going forward when the space isn’t there.

38 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

As talented as he is I don’t see how he fits into our style of play, we are all about running and pressing teams all over the pitch. Maddison isn’t that type of player at all.

If we continue to play how we have this season, the right forward tends to drop into the half space near the forward. On the ball Trippier would hold the width and Maddison would play closer to Isak.

Theoretical question for yous and slightly OT, but if Leicester had sold us Maddison last summer with Dubravka in part exchange, would they have been relegated? 

Bad goalkeeping is a major reason why they (and as it happens, Soton and Leeds) could not get results and went down.

I think Dubs and a signing with Maddison money would have helped them more than Maddison did with that clown in goal. That's even with the good season Maddison's just had.

12 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

He'd be the marquee signing for me. Class player and I think we'd halve the number of draws we had this season if he'd been here this season. 

He's absolutely class. Shocked by a few comments but that's football I suppose.

I've seen a few interviews with him and he comes across quite an articulate lad.. for a footballer.

I few on here don't like Grealish for similar reasons. Another class player.

Edited by STM

2 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Theoretical question for yous and slightly OT, but if Leicester had sold us Maddison last summer with Dubravka in part exchange, would they have been relegated? 

Bad goalkeeping is a major reason why they (and as it happens, Soton and Leeds) could not get results and went down.

I think Dubs and a signing with Maddison money would have helped them more than Maddison did with that clown in goal. That's even with the good season Maddison's just had.

He's got 19 goal contributions in 30 games, so I'm guessing that would have had a detrimental effect on their season but yes they needed a keeper.

32 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

The way he flung himself on the floor squealing when we played them a couple of weeks ago, just reminded me what a little cheating Scrote he is :lol: 

Will fit in well, we're shithousers now, remember?

9 minutes ago, OverThere said:

Bruno has hinted and wanting to play further forward and if we want to keep him happy by doing this our priority will not be Maddison. 

If Bruno wants to play further forward we need two DMs. 

14 minutes ago, OverThere said:

Bruno has hinted and wanting to play further forward and if we want to keep him happy by doing this our priority will not be Maddison. 

I'd be amazed if Maddison impacts this, he isn't a number eight.

1 hour ago, La Parka said:

I do not like him.

He's got ability, sure. His attitude doesn't seem right. All about me.

Now Barnes I'd take instantly. He's direct, pacey, works hard and doesn't strut about like he's already made it. 

I think this is the exact point that @Kid Icarus was trying to make though. We've got a handful of players just like that already and that's why we've sometimes struggled to break teams down at home.

We need to have different types if attacking players so we can change it up to try and get through these low blocks we'll come up against even more next season. Maddison is exactly that.

1 hour ago, Dokko said:

Not sure how running straight into defenders and not releasing the ball fits our style of play. 

I do know he's got goals, must be mainly free kicks. 

Other thing I don't like about him is every time he thinks he's made it his foot comes straight off the pedal and he coasts. Every. Single. Time. 

The goals, assists and unlocking defenses. I'm not saying to play him over Joelinton when our backs are against the wall and we're not dominating possession or anything. He's someone you play when you're dominating but can't find that key pass or shot.

Watching him this season he looks like he thought he was the only player who could save them, which resulted in him keeping the ball much too long. 

I don't think there are any weaknesses in his game that couldn't be coached out of him tbh. The main worry I have about him is that according to Leicester fans he's a bit of a choker when it comes to crucial parts of the season.

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 hour ago, STM said:

He's got 19 goal contributions in 30 games, so I'm guessing that would have had a detrimental effect on their season but yes they needed a keeper.

Saw a stat this morning that Meslier was in the bottom 3 for expected saves, and that’s even without the eye test. Danny Ward was also horrendous for Leicester. If either one of them

had Pickford they’d have stayed up imo, and I don’t even rate him that highly 

21 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Aye, no idea where this supposed poor attitude comes from.

I don't think it's attitude as much but more mentality. Often both are confused with footballers.