James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

4 minutes ago, STM said:

The idea that there arent good players amongst relegated clubs is nonsensical. Why would that be a thing?

I never said that. 

Edited by Viana

Are players that play for the club finishing 17th fair game? what about 14th?

Of course their are LESS good players. 

Ben Mee has done a cracking job for Brentford, and while we aren't Brentford, it's an example of where you can find players well capable of playing at a decent level in this league.

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Why is it different?

Because he’s not their player? I think we can just agree to disagree here. This is becoming a bit tedious.

24 minutes ago, STM said:

The idea that there arent good players amongst relegated clubs is nonsensical. Why would that be a thing?

There are definitely 'good' players, but we have been hearing the word 'elite' more recently, where we were, and where we want to go for me, this now means those sounding out the likes of James Ward Prowse as a signing, I'd personally argue against, I get the Lavia arguments with age on the players side, and Eddie will develop a player with Lavia's potential.

You'd struggle past Maddison for elite players out of the possible sides likely to get relegated. 

Probably add Tielemans to that.

That's your gourmet basement signings.

Edited by mighty__mag

52 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Think Maddison's off the ball work is probably better than you'd imagine and he'd probably be 100% to buy-in to the culture Eddie's built 

When I've watched them he's the only one that's put in a proper shift and shown a lot of character. As long as you have the fitness and willingness to work and listen to instructions anyone can fit into a pressing system really. 

25 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

When I've watched them he's the only one that's put in a proper shift and shown a lot of character. As long as you have the fitness and willingness to work and listen to instructions anyone can fit into a pressing system really. 

I'd argue that he and Vardy are running all over the place to try and make something happen. 

Maddison is a quality footballer and seems the perfect kind of character from interviews for what Howe is building here in terms of that no dickhead policy. 

Been poor for Leicester of late but if it wasn't for him and his form earlier in the season they'd be down already. 

Great player and I'd love to have him here, though where he fits into our 4-3-3 I don't know. Also unsure whether signing him would scupper a Diaby/Raphinha type deal if we're looking to play him on the right of the attacking 3.

On 10/05/2023 at 10:00, The College Dropout said:

Trying to understand the core argument you're making.

You know, I think after going away and considering it, you’re right.

I’d say this; I think there’s talent at that end of the table, but I would preach caution. It’s easy to get ripped off for not considering the context of why a player excelled. 

I think too often we look at things in quite a reductive way and think “good player there means good player here.” 

Jamal Lewis for example looked a good attacking left back at Norwich but they couldn’t defend and built their attack around fullbacks. 

Sissoko was good for us because we counter attacked but once you put him in a ball dominant team his impact was heavily reduced. 

1 hour ago, Viana said:

You know, I think after going away and considering it, you’re right.

I’d say this; I think there’s talent at that end of the table, but I would preach caution. It’s easy to get ripped off for not considering the context of why a player excelled. 

I think too often we look at things in quite a reductive way and think “good player there means good player here.” 

Jamal Lewis for example looked a good attacking left back at Norwich but they couldn’t defend and built their attack around fullbacks. 

Sissoko was good for us because we counter attacked but once you put him in a ball dominant team his impact was heavily reduced. 

Fair. Although I think Sissoko worked better in a better team because he had reduced responsibility. Same with Gini. They were our leading men, and although I class them both as successes at better clubs.. neither of them were main men. Important players but facilitators.

It makes me mad to think we never played both of them at CM and played Anita and Colback instead.

He's got 19 goal contributions (goals+assists) in an awful Leicester side this season, that's incredibly difficult given the realities of a side fighting at the bottom of league:

Constantly defending 

Lacking confidence

Different line ups

Different managers

For comparison, our most goal contributions is also 19, with Callum Wilson, a striker full of confidence fighting at the top of the table.

We might need to fine tune Maddison for our system and even leave him out from time to time, if we require something different tactically but that's the reality of a side wanting to compete on all fronts.

Maddison is a player who wouldn't look out of place in Man City's side. He'd be an amazing signing.

36 minutes ago, STM said:

He's got 19 goal contributions (goals+assists) in an awful Leicester side this season, that's incredibly difficult given the realities of a side fighting at the bottom of league:

Constantly defending 

Lacking confidence

Different line ups

Different managers

For comparison, our most goal contributions is also 19, with Callum Wilson, a striker full of confidence fighting at the top of the table.

We might need to fine tune Maddison for our system and even leave him out from time to time, if we require something different tactically but that's the reality of a side wanting to compete on all fronts.

Maddison is a player who wouldn't look out of place in Man City's side. He'd be an amazing signing.

My only concern with him is his injury record, coupled with the intensity we play at. Doesn’t seem a good combination.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

My only concern with him is his injury record, coupled with the intensity we play at. Doesn’t seem a good combination.

It seems there's a systemic issue with injuries at Leicester. Could be mistaken but I'm sure Rodgers was talking about it at the start of the season.

51 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

Eddie wanted him for so long and he has been his number 1 target can we just let him get his man with out moaning?

Didn't we just bid for him off the back of his agent telling us he was available on the cheap? That's the party line anyway.

Even though he’s a tiresome Bruce-loving troll with no ability to forecast a club budget, Edwards has in the past been spot-on re transfer rumours.  Given the journal he writes for, he also doesn’t sit in the ‘need transfer news to flog papers’ world of tabloid hackery, so he doesn’t need to stick his neck out every single day. 

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Even though he’s a tiresome Bruce-loving troll with no ability to forecast a club budget, Edwards has in the past been spot-on re transfer rumours.  Given the journal he writes for, he also doesn’t sit in the ‘need transfer news to flog papers’ world of tabloid hackery, so he doesn’t need to stick his neck out every single day. 

Edwards like a majority of tabloid journalists, require engagement from their articles. Transfer stories carry the most clout.

The problem is that the club is now a closed shop, so unless a leak comes from outside the club or they piggyback on another story, there are very few transfer exclusives about.  That's why a majority either scattergun or recycle familiar names.

Edward frequently sticks his neck out and throws a lot of names into the mix, a majority of them come to nothing. The only reason he gets more shit then that next hack is because also happens to be a bit of a cunt.

10 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Edwards like a majority of tabloid journalists, require engagement from their articles. Transfer stories carry the most clout.

The problem is that the club is now a closed shop, so unless a leak comes from outside the club or they piggyback on another story, there are very few transfer exclusives about.  That's why a majority either scattergun or recycle familiar names.

Edward frequently sticks his neck out and throws a lot of names into the mix, a majority of them come to nothing. The only reason he gets more shit then that next hack is because also happens to be a bit of a cunt.

I do think he’s less scattergun than the tabloid hack, but completely agree that he’s a bit of a cunt

I had my doubts when he was linked last summer, I wasn’t sure if he was physically gifted enough to play in our current systems midfield and his injury record concerned me. The links just arnt going away though, so there defo seems something concrete here.. if he is signed and his inclusion means he plays out wide, we change the system or he just slots right in then I’m all for it. He’s clearly rated by management and that’s good enough for me.

Edited by Nine