James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

48 minutes ago, Scoot said:

This transfer checker any good?

Probably the only genuine ITK on Twitter. He's definetly become more vague and Ando like recently but he still gets a few exclusives. More reliable than Edwards for example.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

George makes good points here, in a 433 he only somewhat makes sense as a LW. problem is, that’s the position which is portably our lowest priority given the investment in Gordon and having ASM, Joelinton and Isak. 

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

George makes good points here, in a 433 he only somewhat makes sense as a LW. problem is, that’s the position which is portably our lowest priority given the investment in Gordon and having ASM, Joelinton and Isak. 

I disagree. I think he would easily take on the number 8 role in the midfield 3. Especially if Howe is at times going to go with double pivot next season (as he did a few times last season) he would be perfect to play ahead of that.

I get the feeling we were so rigid and set on playing 433 at all costs last season because there wasn't many other options available to us. Signing Maddison and another CDM opens other options up to Howe. 

Edited by Mazzy

I don't like Maddison on the left tbh, seems unnatural. I think right would be even worse.

I'd like to see him compete with Willock if he came, and be backup for wing positions.

Edited by Alberto2005

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Could he not play as the most advanced in a three or on the right?

He’s be cutting inside onto his weaker foot if he played from the right. Also defensively with Bruno as the 6 being flanked by Maddison and Trippier it’s a bit suspect defensively. 

we suffered without Longy towards the end of the season. 

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

How can Caulkin in one sentence say it'd be transformative, then the next question if he'd be a priority. Think he answers that in his first sentence?

That was my first thought and I think it’s due to Maddison being a very good player who would undoubtedly improve us. He just doesn’t quite fit unless we were willing to let say Joe Willock go. 

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

I disagree. I think he would easily take on the number 8 role in the midfield 3. Especially if Howe is at time going to go with  double pivot next season (as he did a few times last season) he would be perfect to play ahead of that.

I get the feeling we were so rigid and set on playing 433 at all costs last season because there wasn't many other options available to us. Signing Maddison and another CDM opens other options up to Howe. 

This time last year I'd have questioned him in a three with Bruno and Joelinton but that was just because I wasn't sure if Joelinton would have the discipline to play that role consistently. He can, so I'd 100% have him as the third in there. Harsh on Longstaff possibly but he'd get tons of games in rotation (games where we play Joelinton wide left for example or needs a break, games where we might think Maddison out wide would work, etc). 

3 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

I disagree. I think he would easily take on the number 8 role in the midfield 3. Especially if Howe is at times going to go with double pivot next season (as he did a few times last season) he would be perfect to play ahead of that.

I think the problem with say a 4231 for us it means you are somewhat locked in to playing Bruno and longstaff as the two. Basically only Bruno is suited to being a pivot. 

10 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

That's the beauty of buying a player like Maddison. I think we'll be signing him to primarily play on the right, but he can easily play in the midfield three or as a ten in a 4-2-3-1.

20 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Hallelujah the realisation that he doesn’t fit in this team and would be a luxury player.

Isn’t hard working enough to play in the middle 3 and couldn’t press for toffee playing out wide.

Spuds player all day let them have him.