Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

43 minutes ago, 80 said:

Just showing faith and support, I guess. The trick is to realise when that loyalty isn't being repaid. But giving no slack at all will get us nowhere.

OK fair enough. 

My thoughts are:

1) We would be financially strengthening a rival club by taking a player, that in my view, gives them an easy opportunity to strengthen an important position. 

2) Does the signing of McT match the ownerships stated ambitions for where they want this club to be going forward (champions league position)?

3) We obviously don't have all the background data / analytics, but the good old eye test would suggest he is bang average. 

4) Is it likely we'd sell him at a profit, if we signed him for £30m - £40m? I'm not sure.

I have reservation on all these points, so I'm hoping Howe get rebuffed if he genuinely is pursuing this lad. Which I would add is all conjecture at this point.

We need to do better than McT if we are serious about progressing. Howe will eventually need to get used to managing higher profile players if he is to take us forward anyway.

21 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

It’s hard to get away from the fact that if we sign him then ETH obviously doesn’t rate him and we’re giving manure wedge to strengthen the position. This is obviously coupled with most people’s own opinion that he’s bang average.

It’s probably all paper talk nonsense anyway. 

ETH spunked nearly £100m on Antony tbf. 

7 minutes ago, Bada Bing said:

OK fair enough. 

My thoughts are:

1) We would be financially strengthening a rival club by taking a player, that in my view, gives them an easy opportunity to strengthen an important position. 

2) Does the signing of McT match the ownerships stated ambitions for where they want this club to be going forward (champions league position)?

3) We obviously don't have all the background data / analytics, but the good old eye test would suggest he is bang average. 

4) Is it likely we'd sell him at a profit, if we signed him for £30m - £40m? I'm not sure.

I have reservation on all these points, so I'm hoping Howe get rebuffed if he genuinely is pursuing this lad. Which I would add is all conjecture at this point.

We need to do better than McT if we are serious about progressing. Howe will eventually need to get used to managing higher profile players if he is to take us forward anyway.

I do agree with your main points by the way. I don't want to get religious about it, but point 1 is maybe the biggest - I want as little to do with those clubs as possible. They don't want to do anything that will help us, and we should give them as little financial benefit as possible.

The rumours are Eddie Howe feels similarly though, which is another reason why I'm not stressing too much about this possible deal, though.

Edited by 80

9 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I reckon we'll try for Brennan Johnson

Probably harsh but I’m still not sure he’s a genuinely good player, good on the counter for sure but I’m not convinced otherwise. Gibbs-White has always been the impressive one out of the two for me.

1 hour ago, Disco said:

Not sure why this just made me laugh out loud at work.

I was never able to find Kinnear anything other than hilarious. That interivew is actually quite sad with hindsight, roughly 18 months later he was diagnosed with early onset dementia. 

That said 'water off a ducks arse' will never fail to make me smile. 

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

ETH spunked nearly £100m on Antony tbf. 

Our board did. Ten Hag identified him early. We were given a price of around something like £40-50m for him, and we fucked about all summer and Ajax simply raised the price as the window was closing and they weren't being given time to find a replacement. 

£80m is not nearly £100m as well. :lol: Even still he was horrifically overpriced. We could have got Martinez and Antony for what we ended up paying for Antony alone due to transfer incompetence.

£20m will do for McTominay. 

12 hours ago, joeyt said:

Not sure what you're trying to say here?

There were people that preferred Jesse Lingard over Brennan Johnson in January last year because Johnson wasn't "proven".

1 hour ago, Conjo said:

There were people that preferred Jesse Lingard over Brennan Johnson in January last year because Johnson wasn't "proven".

And do you blame them? We needed quality straight away not banking on potential

Now we're in a copletely different position