Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

12 minutes ago, joeyt said:

And do you blame them? We needed quality straight away not banking on potential

Now we're in a copletely different position

Blame them for what? We didn't end up with either of them. I disagreed with them though. I thought it was a bonkers take back then as I do now. Lingard wasn't quality then, and isn't doing well at Forest now either while Johnson only had upsides. Even if Johnson didn't live up to the hype he'd be someone we could easily shift again.

What we have to remember with the transfers we made, we had to gamble and had to gamble on a mix and match of foreign potential to come in and hit the ground running, aided by seasoned premier league players whose goal was to die for the cause for us.

Luckily for us we did just that and it worked.

In the position we were in and under many owners who would've panicked, we'd have likely brought in overpaid mercenaries for survival and ended up screwed, most likely.

When you step back and take a good old look at the business we did back then to this very present, we've done remarkably well for the situation we were in and the situation we find ourselves in now, which is fantastic when you consider the short period of time.

Imagine us as fans questioning whether we've lost the plot with 14 games left and in a position to still be looked at as fighting for a champions league place, never mind a Europa.

The thing with that is, we've been on a fairly big blip but are still fighting for something on the right end. 3 losses in the league, all to top teams and neither of those losses were walk overs like we've been through for many years against them.

What's not to like?

And the good part of it is we've mainly got to this stage without 2 major signings in Isak and Gordon who are now closer to getting up to speed in fitness and in terms of being part of the tactical set up.

We have to ensure we don't get too far ahead of ourselves in terms of our expectations because to expect too much and show it, it can reflect on the players and can have a negative effect.

We have hope and plenty of it for this season and for the future. We can hope to gain a Europa spot or even (dare I say it) a champions league spot but in terms of what I think, my expectations are plain and simple. I'd be content enough if we can finish top 7 but my hopes and dreams are a tad higher, even for now.

Edited by magvicar
spelling

3 hours ago, Conjo said:

Blame them for what? We didn't end up with either of them. I disagreed with them though. I thought it was a bonkers take back then as I do now. Lingard wasn't quality then, and isn't doing well at Forest now either while Johnson only had upsides. Even if Johnson didn't live up to the hype he'd be someone we could easily shift again.

Well Prophet was suggesting that 18 months ago that people would be annoyed at us signing a Championship player and then you seemed to suggest that our fans would have rather Lingard thank Johnson last January, which was understandable because Johnson had half a decent season in the Championship but we needed to stay up no matter what so unlikely to take the gamble back then. Johnson only really started playing consistently well after January last year

Just now, Geordie Ahmed said:

That's Santos and now this kid they've signed ahead of us

Hope we beat them to a signing soon

That Santos has been called into senior Brazil squad, think he’ll be the one we regret missing out on looks a real talent.

Just now, Whitley mag said:

That Santos has been called into senior Brazil squad, think he’ll be the one we regret missing out on looks a real talent.

Aye, he had a very good U-20 South American Championship, along with Vitor Roque

The positive thing is at least we seem to be looking at the right sort of players, might just take a little while before we become the team players would rather join 

6 minutes ago, elbee909 said:

They can't play Santos though, can they? Chelsea I mean.

Work permit was declined so has joined Vasco da Gama on loan until the end of the season, with him being called up to the full squad he's likely to get a work permit in the summer 

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I think Saint will be offloaded in the summer with another couple wingers coming in to rotate with Gordon and Miggy but higher quality. Seems pretty clear we’re going to need a new striker looking at how Wilson is floundering. 

Offer him as bait to AC Milan for Rafael Leao 

22 hours ago, Jack27 said:

Could be true but I am very skeptical  of that account. U16/u18 games you generally can’t get in without club ID, and there are very strict rules around talking to anyone, no one wants to give away targets. If someone in Newcastle’s team is leaking their transfers, then they are likely gonna lose their job. 

4 hours ago, Mikky said:

Offer him as bait to AC Milan for Rafael Leao 

Leao has been pretty anonymous when I’ve watched Milan in CL this season, isn’t he pretty much their version if ASM I.e. hugely talented but a bit hit and miss?

16 minutes ago, SAK said:

Leao has been pretty anonymous when I’ve watched Milan in CL this season, isn’t he pretty much their version if ASM I.e. hugely talented but a bit hit and miss?

8 goals in 23 league appearances this year suggests that his output is significantly greater than ASM (1 in 16)? 

33 minutes ago, SAK said:

No. He's their best player by far.