Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

1 hour ago, rgk_lfc said:

He is a very good footballer who is underrated due to his setpiece and loyalty to Southampton. Since 2014-2015, he has missed only 11 games due to injury. I think he has played every minute of Southampton's PL games for four seasons or something like that. While that is massively impressive, players like that often deteriorate rapidly once they hit their late 20s or early 30s. There is that risk with JWP due to the mileage. We are facing the same with Fabinho this season. 

Speed and Lee kept that level

of performance up well into their 30’s and fitness and nutrition are much better now. 

23 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Gordon has a real chance of coming good. Mctominy is as good as he gets and isn't a much different level from Longstaff. If we're shifting Longstaff to the bench then it has to be for someone clearly better than him, or just stick with what we've got. Even better. Bring in young talent like Alex Scott and let him work his way into the team. 

It's a complete false economy to sign the likes of McTominay. All we'd be doing is spending £30m(ish) to add another body who is no different to what we've got. He's probably a slightly better version of Longstaff on his better days and adds nothing different to the squad, he's a clone. It would also add £30m(ish) to Man U's transfer pot as they go out and buy a Bellingham (or whoever) who would significantly improve them. The cash we'd give them would be spent in helping improving the opposition we're trying to catch and overhaul in the first place, we'd be even further away from them, the logic is retarded. 

Not saying it'll be easy to haul them in but buying the likes of McTominay would make it even more difficult. I love Howe and what he's done but someone needs to have a word if he's seriously after McTominay and his ilk. 

52 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

The only one I’ve not been keen on is Gordon, think that’s their first big mistake in the market (hopefully he proves me wrong).

He's definitely a controversial one, but I'm optimistic. Time will tell, but I think he ought to at least end up in the safe section given his age, nationality and profile - those three things alone justify virtually 2/3rds of his transfer fee (unfortunately).

16 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Agree, but we definitely overpaid given what he has shown at Everton. 

When you pay for a player of his age, you don’t pay for his current ability. You pay for his potential. I am personally unsure of how much further he can develop, but I guess Howe saw that he can still improve, hence the fees. 

1 minute ago, Solitude20 said:

When you pay for a player of his age, you don’t pay for his current ability. You pay for his potential. I am personally unsure of how much further he can develop, but I guess Howe saw that he can still improve, hence the fees. 

Yeah I’m fully aware of that we still overpaid. He was t pulling up trees at Everton and as an offensive player his numbers are lacking. 

that being said, I hope he comes good. 

59 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Speed and Lee kept that level

of performance up well into their 30’s and fitness and nutrition are much better now. 

Agreed. Milner is another example.

My only minor counterpoint is that the demands on JWP under Howe's counter-pressing system will be higher than those on Speed and Lee. JWP has consistently covered the highest distance in the premier league in the last few years. So the miles on his body has been way higher than other players. 

Some interesting developments at LFC. FSG had put the club for sale earlier this season. When the original club was up for sale was announced, our CEO Mike Gordon announced his departure.  Members of our background team had also indicated they wanted to leave.

John Henry has backtracked and said they are now only looking for minor investment partners. All of a sudden, Mike Gordon announced his return. Gordon, Edwards, and Klopp were the original transfer committee trifecta. Now the rumors are most of our analytics and scouting team will remain. Our DOF, Julian Ward, will leave after this summer transfer window. We are looking for a new DOF. Some unconfirmed rumors of Michael Edwards returning. Strong links in the media to Markus Krosche, current DOF of E. Frankfurt and former Leipzig sporting director.  A lot of positive news and rumors about our background setup this week. 

16 hours ago, 54 said:

For what it's worth, I can understand why someone like Howe would like a player like McTominay, he's someone who is similar to Longstaff, a work horse who can be the link between defense and attack.

@Froggycould probably tell say more, but I'd imagine he'd be an upgrade on Longstaff, even if that is just quicker passing and better shooting ability.

I think he'd be uninspiring, and that we could do better, but I get it.

He's better than people give him credit for but the only thing he's really going to improve for you is depth. That being said, £25m will do.

54 minutes ago, Froggy said:

He's better than people give him credit for but the only thing he's really going to improve for you is depth. That being said, £25m will do.

If we're looking to be competing with Man Utd, we shouldn't be buying players that they have already deemed to be not good enough

4 minutes ago, ikri said:

If we're looking to be competing with Man Utd, we shouldn't be buying players that they have already deemed to be not good enough

Well I would agree, but I think you're still a year or two away from that so he's not a bad signing for depth. He will still play plenty of minutes for us.

I'm very confident about Gordon. As others have said, he's a bit restricted at the moment because Burn struggles to support him, but it looks like we're aiming to bring in a new LB for next season. He's a player that can make things happen.

I'm prepared to trust Eddie on McTominay. We don't have a DM so he'd be a good option to have, and he comes with Premiership experience. He's good enough on the technical side not to be a liability in that position. 

Both players have been with clubs in turmoil, so their more recent performances have to be seen in that light.

And finally our business model means that, for the time being, we won't be competing for the players that the big six want.

Edited by Cronky

Said it before he signed but I see a lot of James Milner when he was here in him. He's got ability and the work rate, hopefully Howe is his Martin O'Neill and gets the best from him. The way he plays and from the attributes he has, I wouldn't be surprised if like Milner it turns out he's better more central, could mould him into that more advanced of the midfield 3 imo.

33 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Said it before he signed but I see a lot of James Milner when he was here in him. He's got ability and the work rate, hopefully Howe is his Martin O'Neill and gets the best from him. The way he plays and from the attributes he has, I wouldn't be surprised if like Milner it turns out he's better more central, could mould him into that more advanced of the midfield 3 imo.

I'd compare Gordon with Bellamy, particularly on the issue of pace and work rate. It's interesting that both players left their previous clubs under a cloud, apparently for failing to lift a struggling team. There also seems to be something a bit chippy about their personalities. As with Bellamy, I'd like to see him given a freer role, and more responsibility. 

3 hours ago, Cronky said:

I'd compare Gordon with Bellamy, particularly on the issue of pace and work rate. It's interesting that both players left their previous clubs under a cloud, apparently for failing to lift a struggling team. There also seems to be something a bit chippy about their personalities. As with Bellamy, I'd like to see him given a freer role, and more responsibility. 

Both players who had iron wills to develop themselves and became more adept as their careers went on.

27 minutes ago, teohgk said:

I dont rate McTominay at all, and i don’t like this signing, but i would support the transfer whole heartedly if that’s the player Howe want.

Why?

Not being an arse but I genuinely don't understand this view.

8 minutes ago, Bada Bing said:

Why?

Not being an arse but I genuinely don't understand this view.

Just showing faith and support, I guess. The trick is to realise when that loyalty isn't being repaid. But giving no slack at all will get us nowhere.

It’s hard to get away from the fact that if we sign him then ETH obviously doesn’t rate him and we’re giving manure wedge to strengthen the position. This is obviously coupled with most people’s own opinion that he’s bang average.

It’s probably all paper talk nonsense anyway.