Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

If having a natural centre back, who has no recovery pace and offers nothing going forward doesn't make left back a top priority I'm not sure what will.

That's not me hating on Burn either. But as we look to evolve Burn, Longstaff and Almiron look thr obvious places to start.

All I'm saying it's that it can't be priority over 3 or even 4 other positions. We can't upgrade every position and add depth at the same time. 

Just now, NobbySolano said:

All I'm saying it's that it can't be priority over 3 or even 4 other positions. We can't upgrade every position and add depth at the same time. 

For me it's probably third on priority list behind CM and RW (or a creative type).

Burn provides the balance. Against decent sides a good rest defence has 5 outfield players in it to defend on transitions and ours regularly does with Burn, Botman, Schar and two midfielders generally behind the ball when it’s turned over high up the field. If you start sending two full backs flying forward you’d need to pull someone else back to keep the defensive structure/solidity. We don’t really want all 3 midfielders having to defend transitions.

Yes we can upgrade on Burn’s athleticism and ability on the ball for build-up, but getting some more ability and flexibility in forward areas is way more important imo. Our defensive record was mega last season.

Edited by Smal

It really is nuts how much negativity and arguing there has been in this thread, especially since the season ended. FFS our transformation from being basically guaranteed relegated to top 4, and a cup final to go with it, in such a short space of time is mental. Sure, if you got worked up about us not making top 4 when it was basically locked up, I could get that, but anyone who's not got a big fuck off smile on their face now whenever they think about our club, sadly you'll probably just never be happy!

I couldn't really care less if we sign Barella, sure I got excited like everyone else when I saw the rumours and I don't understand why anyone would stop themself from enjoying that, because thankfully we know for absolute certain that if we don't sign him we definitely will be signing multiple other players who are going to improve this team and help us kick on for the years ahead. 

Eddie Howe has came in to our club, embraced everything we are about, and its probably fair to say he literally hasn't put a foot wrong in, every aspect of being a football manager for our club, he's nailed it. 

So if he decides signing McTominey will make us a better team, I'm with him, if he wants to bring in Maguire, I'm with him, I highly doubt we will sign either of them, and I'd be very confused with either decision, but if they think that's the right option for us I'm absolutely certain Eddie Howe and those around him have the best interests of our club at heart when making those decisions, so I'll support them 100%.  

Naturally with forums there's always clashes in personalities, people who dont like each other, cliques etc, but it's pretty amazing how active this forum is when most are dying or gone because of social media, props to everyone for that, and surely we can just enjoy whats to come this Summer when we haven't had it so good for so long. 

76 days and counting until the window shuts and we'll be looking forward to games vs the very best in Europe, I'm gunna love sweating every day from now til then knowing WE HAVE GOT OUR FUCKING CLUB BACK!!!

Edited by mondonewc

Id say we need a CM & LB as a priority as to replace the two weakest players in our XI (Longstaff & Burn)

Think Burn particularly will get torn apart int he CL if he plays LB

Edited by NUFC

42 minutes ago, NobbySolano said:

Exactly what not critical means. Given a limited/finite budget, LB shouldn't be prioritized over a 6/8/hybrid. 

If we go into next season with Dan Burn as starting LB but with Maddison and zsobo or a certain Italian midfielder, then I'll be beyond thrilled. 

If we can swing Tierney after that then cool. But honestly more interested in finding backup for Tripper. Way riskier and we haven't seen much from Ashby. 

What happens if Dan Burn gets injured?

Play a guy who barely got a start all season? Even when recovered from injury? 
At least we have 4 excellent starting CMs.

Its not that I agree with the above take necessarily but it’s also valid.

10 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I can't remember too many times Burn has been torn apart defensively?

Agree we need an attacking upgrade but definitely think he has a role to play throughout the season

I actually think he did rather well. Especially against the kind of players we thought would murder him. 
That was achieved by 2 ways though.

1) an incredible effort from whom ever was playing LW in front him.

2) Burn sitting very deep and not helping when we have the ball.

3) tbf to him, he mostly read it very well. Might have got done early on but made some adjustments and tried to keep within his limitations. Successfully for the most part.

2 minutes ago, Lotus said:

What happens if Dan Burn gets injured?

Play a guy who barely got a start all season? Even when recovered from injury? 
At least we have 4 excellent starting CMs.

Its not that I agree with the above take necessarily but it’s also valid.

Then we play Targett. Ideal? No. But you can't have 3 players to every position. If anything, we should get a young LB to get trained up and ready, and not have to spend big $ on a LB in the future.

17 minutes ago, NUFC said:

Id say we need a CM & LB as a priority as to replace the two weakest players in our XI (Longstaff & Burn)

Think Burn particularly will get torn apart int he CL if he plays LB

I'll admit that for about the first 1/4 of the season i thought Longstaff was a zero in the team. However he really grew into his role through the rest of the season and at the end, we felt his absence. He could be better with improved finishing and a quicker mind/decision making. But you could do a lot worse. 

I agree it needs to be upgraded and this is one where we can make a big impact. On the other hand, another summer with Howe might make a big difference.

I thought Burn was every bit as good defensively as Trippier last season, there was the odd incident where his body movement wasn’t the most graceful but I think that is down to how big he is.

The issue with him is that he offers hardly anything when the team is going forward and even when he does make an overlapping pass the opposition know 9 times out of 10 he isn’t going to receive it, so that causes a problem. It really hits home when you watch compilations of Antonee Robinson and Tierney when we were linked with them the difference then offer going forward from a left back position, you see what we are missing.

I think the question is does how want a left back that can get forward as much as Trippier or is he happy, someone that can drop in as the third centre back or maybe he wants a hybrid that can do both to a reasonable standard?

As the Prophet has said further up the page, the three obvious positions to look to strengthen are those currently held by Burn, Longstaff and Almiron, along with consideration that we lack cover for Bruno and up top.

An upgrade on Longstaff that can also cover Bruno if needed should be our top priority, then the RW and before LB.

36 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I mean this is the transfer thread, we are going to debate transfers and the relative strengths and weaknesses of the team.

Debate is good for sure, merits to who we should sign etc, but 10+ pages of arguing about signing Messi or 30 pages about how shit McTominey is or umpteen pages about some bullshit story thats clearly clickbait such as our budget being 75m are just a few examples that I was referring to. 

I'm obviously not a regular here and not personally targeting anyone, I dont know anyone here to have any bias and everyone's free to post whatever they want, just sharing my own perspective from someone who spends majority of my time on this forum on this specific thread to find out info others have and find out more about players I dont know so much about, and maybe even make a post or two of value myself (First one will be provided soon hopefully :))

Edited by mondonewc

1 hour ago, NobbySolano said:

Exactly what not critical means. Given a limited/finite budget, LB shouldn't be prioritized over a 6/8/hybrid. 

If we go into next season with Dan Burn as starting LB but with Maddison and zsobo or a certain Italian midfielder, then I'll be beyond thrilled. 

If we can swing Tierney after that then cool. But honestly more interested in finding backup for Tripper. Way riskier and we haven't seen much from Ashby. 

Could you be downplaying the role of full back in general given how much they play a role in build up and starting most moves and in particular , after seeing the difference Trippier made ?

Edit... you were talking about back ups being more important than a startingbleft back weren't you ? Then you bring in midfielders who would certainly be starters.

My apologies in advance if I read it wrong.

Edited by madras

Left-back is massively important for me. Asking a helluva lot of Trippier to play the way he does for potentially 50 odd games. Throw in that teams were starting to suss the Trippier, Almiron, Bruno link-up play or at least dealing with it better, then having a similar option on the left is going to be huge. We're going to need to vary the attack, and we're also going to have to give Trippier a bit of a breather and by letting him be the one to sit while the left-back goes will help massively.

11 hours ago, r0cafella said:

According to Ornstein Chelsea are also in for all of the midfielders we’ve been linked with :lol:

Hope we don’t end up missing out on all the actual good ones and left with Mctominay :lol:

every club who needs a midfielder has been linked to Thurman, Kone, Caicedo, Rice, Ugarte and now Barella. It’s actually hilariously tiresome. There are other good mids out there ffs. 

13 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Left-back is massively important for me. Asking a helluva lot of Trippier to play the way he does for potentially 50 odd games. Throw in that teams were starting to suss the Trippier, Almiron, Bruno link-up play or at least dealing with it better, then having a similar option on the left is going to be huge. We're going to need to vary the attack, and we're also going to have to give Trippier a bit of a breather and by letting him be the one to sit while the left-back goes will help massively.

Trips is right back but I know what you’re saying. We do have Krafth coming back for cover, and he hit some good form when Trips injured his foot, but he’s probably not the long term answer 

Just now, dave s said:

Trips is right back but I know what you’re saying. We do have Krafth coming back for cover, and he hit some good form when Trips injured his foot, but he’s probably not the long term answer 

Sorry, I meant if we're expecting Trippier to play 50 odd games at the highest level, we're going to need a left-back who can do a similar thing to him, so that's it's not him doing the bombing on all match. 

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Sorry, I meant if we're expecting Trippier to play 50 odd games at the highest level, we're going to need a left-back who can do a similar thing to him, so that's it's not him doing the bombing on all match. 

Ahaaa ??