Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

ethos

/ˈiːθɒs/

noun

the characteristic spirit of a culture, era, or community as manifested in its attitudes and aspirations.

The words he has used are talking about attitudes and aspirations. That's an assumption on his personality.

Yeah but he said team ethos. So I read that as the collective culture of our team. I don't know, but I see this heading down a slippery slope that I'm not comfortable with. [emoji38]

I think we’re in pretty good shape despite the need for another 1 or 2 forward or attacking players.

If we have to start the season as we are I still think we’ll win far more games than we’ll lose.

It’s like having a very respectable hifi system, you’ve reached a point where it sounds really good but you’re curious about how far you can push it, now you’re looking at an interconnect cable that costs more than your amplifier and speakers that cost almost as much as what your car is worth.

In football terms though, it’s the difference between top 6 and top 10, it could even be the difference of challenging for top 4 if it’s like last season and those supposed big teams underperform again.

8 minutes ago, STM said:

I think he's suggesting that Cornet plays as an individual, rather than a team player. I don't think he's making assumptions on his personality but more on the type of player he is on the pitch.

To be honest he isn't that type of head down individual player even.

I swear people never saw the guy play as a winger in France. Managed to find a scout report from 2017-2018 where he played on both wings and also as an attacking midfielder, so everyone can read for themselves. This guy is not just some bog standard winger.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/09/18/scout-report-maxwel-cornet/

Also below are his scouting numbers for what we need most, goals and assists (via fbref), from the 2018-2019 Ligue 1 season, where he played a lot on the right wing.

image.thumb.png.7289faec23bc3a68bd3b8b1ca43157a7.png

21 minutes ago, 54 said:

I wouldn't say we've miscalculated in getting two CB's at all? Last season we had Clark, Fernandez, Lascelles and Schar as our CB's, the first two where clearly not good enough, and one of them was our only left sided CB, it was an area that very much needed refreshing. Now we have two right sided CB's and two left sided CB's that can compete,and any combination can come in and do a decent job.

The only slight issue I would have would be bringing in Pope and then not having enough left to fill the 2 most important positions. Not a knock on Pope, just feel we could have managed with Dubs another season, whereas we can’t manage with our current attacking player’s.

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

The only slight issue I would have would be bringing in Pope and then not having enough left to fill the 2 most important positions. Not a knock on Pope, just feel we could have managed with Dubs another season, whereas we can’t manage with our current attacking player’s.

Honestly think they misjudged the market and the prices we’d get quoted for our top targets. That’s not a criticism, the market is mental 

Edited by gdm

34 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

ethos

/ˈiːθɒs/

noun

the characteristic spirit of a culture, era, or community as manifested in its attitudes and aspirations.

The words he has used are talking about attitudes and aspirations. That's an assumption on his personality.

Fuck me, man. The point was that Howe has clearly emphasised getting the right characters in and time has been spent scouting players that not only fit into the team, but buy into the collective approach towards progress etc. 

It's not difficult. 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I do wonder why it's taken Burnley so long to offload Cornet at such a reasonable price.

It's a great price, but because it's a clause it has to all be paid upfront.

Teams are apparently trying to come to an agreement with Burnley on this i.e. to pay in instalments. Likely Burnley will only agree to this if teams then paid more than the release clause.

1 minute ago, toon25 said:

Fuck me, man. The point was that Howe has clearly emphasised getting the right characters in and time has been spent scouting players that not only fit into the team, but buy into the collective approach towards progress etc. 

It's not difficult. 

Where did you read about such concerns with Cornet?

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Yet again if we pay in instalments or all at once it all counts the same towards FFP.

Aye, but I was talking about cash flow. If you're wanting to use FFP as your benchmark, it's even less. £2.5M for each of the four years of his contract.

Just now, Rich said:

Aye, but I was talking about cash flow. If you're wanting to use FFP as your benchmark, it's even less. £2.5M for each of the four years of his contract.

Like I said it wasn’t a massive criticism, and I’m not pretending to know a great deal about the finances. I’m just saying I would have rather spent say the Pope money on trying to increase the Maddison bid as I feel that would have benefited us more this season.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Anyone want to play some bingo?

"FFP"

"Budget"

"Structured deal"

"Inflated market"

"Happy with the business they've done so far'

“Striker a priority”

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Anyone want to play some bingo?

"FFP"

"Budget"

"Structured deal"

"Inflated market"

"Happy with the business they've done so far'

Still waiting for the three 30 million pound players we where going to sign according to Hope.

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Still waiting for the three 30 million pound players we where going to sign according to Hope.

Well botman would have been one and Ekitike would have been another tbf 

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

His numbers for Chelsea haven’t even been that bad tbh, particularly as he has been in and out the side and started his career there under Lampard. He would be an absolute dream signing.

His numbers have been terrible at Chelsea but I have full faith that he won't be horrible for the rest of his career.

8 minutes ago, Pata said:

His numbers have been terrible at Chelsea but I have full faith that he won't be horrible for the rest of his career.

23 goals and 21 assists in 89 appearances is terrible?